1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WGC BOINC, is it a new and possibly better way to stress test?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dark2099, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Just had this little idea pop into my head, but is it possible that the WGC/BOINC client is a better way of stressing an OC and testing for stability? The thing with Prime, OCCT, Orthos, Intel IMG Burn, and all the others I am probably missing, is that they always put heavy load and high heat. But a constant. Now I figure there are only a hand full of times when a CPU is at a constant amount of load, idle, off, and stressing. Now I am not expert, but I would imagine your system is under a more erratic and varying amount of load when you are using it. Chatting with friends, browsing the web, maybe visiting a site like YouTube, listen to music. So it is grabbing bits of data here and there rather than all the time. Now much like F@H, different work units produce different amounts of stress, and with the client being multi threaded, the various combination's probably produce different stress. And I think it might even do a good job of testing the ram too due to the fact that when I started testing my OC of 4.2GHz about 20 minutes ago, I was using 1.88GB of ram and now am using 2.13GB, so it does gradually use more. Feel free to comment as you like.

Fitseries3 says thanks.
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    No one to comment on this?

3. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would rather stick to coredamage, occt and the likes, because WGC does not really stress the CPU that much(I still can play COD4 with good framerates...)...

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Do you allow for the WGC client to use 100% of your CPU or have you limited it?

5. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have played COD4 with 80%:) but I normally use 60%

6. 4x4n

4x4n Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    The reason for this is that WCG uses the boinc client and will only run when there are free cycles available. It's designed to run in the background and be unnoticeable to everyday activities. It does not stress your cpu as much as prime, occt, etc, but leave a machine on crunching 24/7 and if it's not stable you will get errors.

7. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After turning it to 100% for about 10 seconds I quickly turned it back...It was increasing by 1 degree celsius for every 1 secon passed...

8. Mark099 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been using WCG/BOINC as a measure of stability for years. Your idea is not new. My computers run BOINC @ 100% 24/7/365. It may not stress your CPU as much as other stress tests, but it's a good measure of a stable overclock.

My Core i7 920 is overclocked to 3.4Ghz with stock volts. The hottest core rarely gets above 57*C while running BOINC. I have 8 threads running, which is great for producing a lot of results.