1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the best cards for SLI?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by <<Onafets>>, Apr 24, 2009.

1. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    Hey,
    Gettin curious with SLI now...lol
    What cards get the greatest presformance increase when put in SLI?

Cheers :toast:

Cya

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you finding gaming to be horrible with your GTS 250 at 1680x1050? If so just get another one.. oh wait your motherboard doesn't support SLi. Your PSU is insufficient. Really there is absolutely no point or need to go SLi in your situation.

3. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    :ohwell:

Maybe he was just curious...

4. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    LoLz i wasn't planning o go SLI...just wondering what cards preform best when put in sli!

5. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    The GTX295 off course... Quad SLI setup, but in some games 3 SLI with three GTX280 are better.

Get two of them ( GTX295 )running in SLI you can have simply amazing performance.

SLI seems work even better when you put a lot of GPU's to work togheter, more you have more you go fast.

6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I thnk he meant performance increase... like maybe for some cards the performance is 1.8x and for other 1.5x... I believe the GTX 295 is probably not the best ratio... I may be wrong though

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've heard and read the best scaling SLI cards are the 9600GT series. But I've heard the GTX series SLI pretty well too. The problem I have with SLI is if the drivers don't have an SLI profile for the game you are playing, you'll only use one GPU...which depending on your SLI choice, game settings, resolution etc might or might not matter. If not, SLI is probably not needed. The GTX295 is a monster of a card, onboard SLI it has is plenty for most...at least gamer-wise.

TBH I don't have much for experience with SLI, just what friends, family, customers have had or upgraded to. I'd rather stick with single more powerful cards that do the job quite well, less hassle, less power consumption, less heat, less wiring to mess with, sure the benefit of SLI is good, but really only seems realistic for most in the low-end to mid-range stuff, when a more powerful card is generally around the same price as the 2 chosen for SLI and getting similar performance with more simplicity just makes sense to me. Though as-far-as exact scaling, I'd bet it depends on the game/application along with of course the GPU, the driver version, etc. Too many variables to nail down an exact ratio imo. I could be dead wrong though! :D

:toast:

8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Dont impose your thoughts on him, he might see things differently as do I, i have a GTX295 and game at 1680 and i absolutely see a point in it.
    The thing OP is, if you find a good deal or have the money just do it, upgrading GPU is the best thing to do, since they give the most boost in games performance.

Also i have a article here about 250 in SLI
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli.html

9. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Kursah, the most preformance packing dual SLI cards are the 9600 GT's. They are super cheap cards that pack a killer punch. The 8800 GT are an awesome duo as well, great preformance from these cards as well.

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    What good is it if its a waste of money? what if a 4850 at 100$ would do the same job (max settings no dif to the eye)? what if later on, by the time the 4850 can't do this, something equivalent to the GTX 295 would cost 80$ then? and that you couldve spent 100$ on 4850 and than 100$ on a much better card instead od 350 to 500$ before? when you wouldn't see a dif at all? and in an economic crysis you suggest wasting money is good?

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Generally SLI performance gain increaces as the power of the cards decreaces. For example two 8400GS in SLI will scale much better than two GTX285 in SLI. And my scale I mean get a much larger % performance gain. Therefore the best cards are the midrange cards where you can get a large performance gain (70% or so) instead of spending $600 on video cards alone and getting a 30% increace. Natrually two GTX280 will perform better than two 9600gt just because of raw power... however 9600gt is very popular in budget sli setups

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I dunno... if you're gonna go SLI then go mid-range to high end cards. something like gtx 275's would be great... yes less powerful cards 'scale better' (because less powerful cards are such bottlenecks that you notice it much more when you double their output) but 2 gts 250's = a gtx 275 and there is no point in going SLI if you can get a single card for about the same price.

so dual gts 250's = $130x2, $260
    and a single gtx 275 = $250

so why even bother?

If you go SLi, you're looking to get high-end performance. But then again erocker is right, you have neither a mobo nor a PSU suited for SLi.

13. random

random

Thanks Received:
    My bets on Tri SLI gtx280 and or tri sli gtx285, they are the fastest single core cards for nvidia. Looked up on some gtx280 and gtx285 videos and they ran plus scaled damned well.