1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you doing tomorrow on 420?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by fafa21, Apr 20, 2009.

1. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    An intelligent pot smoker will run circles around a sober imbecile in any task.

I'm quite positive you've never met an intelligent pot smoker, because intelligent pot smokers don't associate with people that share your attitude.

I've tested with a genius level IQ twice while stoned (REAL tests, not one of these hokey, "what's your IQ" travesties), graduated high school with a 3.8 in all honors classes stoned, scored a 1410 on my SAT stoned (and barely studied), and now work as a subcontractor for the Office of Naval Research at an R&D facility funded by DARPA. My project partner has a Ph.D. in Space Plasma Physics and says I am one of the sharpest, most talented, most intelligent individiuals he's ever met. I no longer smoke pot because of my current project, and due to health reasons, but if it was legal you can bet your ass I still would consume THC, albeit not in smoke form.

I have a shoulder deformity and severe nerve damage in my left arm and the left side of my torso from a childhood car accident, and so am prescribed narcotic painkillers. They are FAR FAR FAR more intoxicating than marijuana as far as impairment goes, yet millions of people in this country drive and operate equipment on a daily basis while under their influence. I'm more worried about driving under their influence than marijuana's. Why aren't you calling out chronic pain patients? Are stoners an easier target for you?

Your pilot argument is flawed... much like pilots are not allowed any alchohol in their blood while in the air, a similar zero-tolerance policy could be adopted with marijuana. It's just as hard to tell if someone has had one drink as it is one puff... but random piss tests fix that right quick. If marijuana was legal then it would be up to employers to adopt marijuana policies that fit their own unique situations. Some employers would need none, and some would need very strict policies.

If you spent a few minutes doing some web-searching on driving under the influence of marijuana... you may be surprised to find that there are more than a few scientific studies that support the idea that impairment while driving is minimal as long as moderate doses of THC are administered. Some studies actually did find that people administered low doses of THC performed better in certain tasks. Smoking one's self into a stupor is a matter of personal responsibility, much like drinking ones self into a stupor. Fear-mongerers such as yourself would have everyone believe that even looking at marijuana make someone into a drooling, babbling imbecile, and it couldn't be farther from the truth. The person who has a single beer with dinner, and drives home, lives to see another day. The person who drinks a whole pitcher of beer at dinner, and drives home, ends up wrapped around a telephone pole. It works the same way with marijuana.

Also, just for the record, marijuana is not classified as a "narcotic" by the medical community. That is just a drug war scare tactic.

My father-in-law is a narcotics detective of 19 years, and has said to me on several occasions that the illegality of marijuana is one of the most asinine laws that he is required to enforce. I know a LOT of cops, and not only are many ex-weed smokers, most of them also feel the same exact way.

Chasing stoners is a massive waste of time, tax dollars, and worst of all, manpower. We could be putting those same resources towards enforcing laws against drugs that are ACTUALLY dangerous, such as methamphetamine.

I'm sure your reply will contain more accusations of "addict's excuses", along with broken reasoning and insults. Frankly, I've heard it a million times before and it still sounds just as empty and unfounded as it did the first time.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Getting caught means the state will extract a punishment on you. Again, just because you aren't caught doesn't make it morally right: you are still committing a crime.

Try programming. Try running. Try long division. Try remembering what you said 30 minutes ago.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. twilyth Guest

Don't be bad mouthin' the crank. I take it every day. Well, used to be prescribed meth, but now take dexmethylphenidate - which is actually stronger IMHO.

But I understand what you're saying. I'd comment more but need to cut out these damn bugs that have burrowed under my skin. :cool:
  4. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Are you freaking Mr. Rogers man? You sayin you NEVER broke a damn law in ur life? I call BS.
  5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I have a superb memory and as such, regret every single wrong in my life. Needless to say, it keeps me out of trouble. And no, I can't name ever breaking a law, at least none that are criminally punishable (e.g. theft, violence, public nuisance, etc.).

These two statements contradict. One says you find pot dealers selling harder drugs and the other says it is not worth chasing stoners. Well, if a stoner leads to a drug dealer, I'd say that's worth it, no? So, who's wrong and who's right? :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    heh heh me either. read my post about ohios possession law and see its decriminalized up to 100 grams without any paraphernalia in the car. Ticket only. If you had a pipe, youd go to jail. They can swab your mouth for drug abuse but some nice minty gum fixes that.:pimp:
  7. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, evidently I just imagined learning to program in IDL while stoned and writing a ground breaking image processing routine that allowed my boss to land a contract with JPL for never before attempted scientific research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDL_(programming_language)

Uggghh, it's so hard to remember though with my marijuana damaged mind. :rolleyes:

This is a garbage myth. Any self respecting pot smoker/seller that I've ever known won't go near any drugs other than weed, in fact many will not even touch alchohol let alone something like speed, coke, or herion. Most sellers will not associate with suppliers that deal in other drugs either.

It's this, "Just because some speedfreaks smoke weed, most weed dealers know speed dealers". As I said in my long post, more broken reasoning.
  8. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    As a reformed dealer/ and have friends that do that for a living. I know for a fact that there are normally other drugs around than just pot. Now there are some pot dealers that sell just pot, but normally they have other things here and there. Maybe not every day, but sometimes they might have some pills or some speed. Blablablabalba

If pot was sold in a store it would stop a lot of people from ever seeing that speed dealer, pill dealer, and so on.
  9. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    In my town of Fremont Ohio, We have had alot more crack-cocaine busts than marijuana, why? Because crack-cocaine is tenfold worse than weed. Cops around here just confiscate it and give a warning or ticket depending on what is in car too. If you have crack, your on your cars hood screaming for mommy and praying they dont Rodney King your ass.

Indianapolis has a policy on extacy, 1 pill=7 years. When I lived there.
  10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    1980's? Let me break it down: Marijuana effects short-term memory. Short-term memory is transferred to long-term memory during REM sleep. A day ago, let alone 20 years ago, is long-term memory. Clearly you weren't "stoned" because you remember. You may have been stoned part of the time but not enough for it to be completely unrecorded in your short-term memory.

And more contradictions. My guess is you two dealt with completely different networks of dealers. In any case, the DEA going after marijuana dealers could (let's say 50/50) lead to dealers of harder drugs. I'd say that's worth it. Just like any drug ring, you got to hunt down the guys at the bottom of the chain to find the people running the operation.

Oh, and we can't forget attorneys going light on the marijuana dealers that turn in their superiors.

Which ties into...

How do you know those cocaine dealers weren't found through busting marijuana dealers?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    The truth is that they let the dealers go for a LONG TIME(from what I have seen, and yes I do have law enforcement in my family). They pop all the lower people buying, because it's a money system in the end. They never pop the dealer right off the bat, because they would lose a lot of ticket money.

Also they will let a lot of people slide if it takes place out of town and away from kids.
  12. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    1980's? Try like 1999?

Also, my response was referring to the fact that you implied one would have trouble programming (a short term memory intensive task), while under the influence of marijuana. I then related that I in fact did NOT have trouble programming, therefore that my short term memory was minimally effected by low doses of marijuana. I didn't say it wasn't effected at all, only that I was perfectly capable of performing the task with a high degree of competence.

That last part was pure sarcasm and not meant to be a serious part of the discussion.

Yes, there are two distinctly different networks of marijuana dealers. Most "good" (for lack of a better term) marijuana users obtain extremely high quality marijuana from small, local indoor grower networks that deal only in high quality marijuana, and little else.

Most "bad" marijuana users smoke low quality marijuana aka "scwhag", "stress", etc. that is obtained via smuggling from mexico or low quality outdoor grows conducted on trespassed land.

Not only are they two distinctly different types of dealers, they have two distinctly different types of clientele. Weed smokers from "group A" would most certainly not associate with those from "group B". Also, most smokers from group A would have clean criminal records and hold full time jobs, whilst most from group B would have criminal records and be employed under the table, work part time dead-end jobs, or be criminally employed.

The place where you are tripping up is that the "bad" marijuana is only an additional profit source for these dealers, whereas for the "good" crowd, it is an entire culture.

Legalization of marijuana would cut a profit source from "bad" drug dealers, whilst having little effect on the amount of the population that smokes.

edit: Furthermore, legalization of marijuana would actually reduce its propensity to be a gateway drug. Those unable to obtain marijuana from quality dealers would no longer be forced to go to drug dealers that sold other drugs in an effort to obtain marijuana, and therefore would be less likely to be exposed to other drugs in the attempt. The legalization of marijuana would in effect seperate it from the rest of the drug market.

How do you know they were?

Here in California it is different. Up to 1oz. possesion is a ticket on first offense, so most cops RARELY give weed tickets. You have to try really, really, hard to get ticketed for a small amount of pot here. If you are over 1oz. = felony = jail pretty much.
  13. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Here most of the time they just let you throw weed away on the side of the road if they find anything around a QT. Weed is just a mister meaner here, unless caught by a sheriff or state trooper then it's a felony. If you do get a ticket it's normally around 900 dollars after paying the DA and your lawyer.

They are really after the meth hard core because of all the fires and deaths that happen when cooking it. Which I blame for them taking most of the ingredients off the shelves and people have started cooking with lithium batteries which is a ticking time bomb.

About 10 years ago, we sent a guy after 100 pounds of pot in Cail and all he had to do was 6 months before they let him out. Now we think he narked but we never really knew. You guys are just nicer when it comes to pot.....

Minnesota has it the right way IMO, when you get busted there. They sent you to rehab, and I have known people from my friends(family)that have been busted with over an OZ of powder only to get a year of forced rehab. WHICH WORKED. I think locking people up for hard core drugs is a stupid idea. We all know that that they are additive so why not try and help those people instead of paying them to sit in a box for 20years to life?
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    My bad, I was going off the age of IDF which was clearly a poor misjudgement on my behalf (I belong in bed). The same argument still holds though.

An application could be coded with very little short-term memory capability (only enough to look up and back down again). It depends largely on how extensive and interwoven the code is. All the same, I've started some of my best projects when dealing with stones and subsequently drugged on pain killers. I can't remember what projects those were but, yeah.

I'm horrible with sarcasm.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/30/national/main4060856.shtml

Apparently crime syndicates have moved indoors and that was a year ago. Also a year ago:

Mexican cartels are bringing in a lot of marijuana and a little cocaine. Yes, so it's true a lot of marijuana probably doesn't lead to a lot of cocaine but at the same time, all that marijuana is a lot of money to fuel the cocaine trade (buy those fancy drug running boats, trucks, and aircraft). I think it is fair to say that marijuana serves as a front for the cocaine trade (at least, in large part, funding it).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Most of the Mex pot is only worth about 300 a pound when bought in large amounts. They always break it down into the smallest bags when they add it up. It's AMERICANS that break it down and reap the rewards.

Also there is A LOT MORE THAN THAT COMING IN.
  16. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I did some editing above, bolded.

I completely agree that marijauana helps fund the cocaine trade, in fact that is one of the reasons why I so strongly support legalizing it. I would in effect cut out their funding base, and prevent money from leaving the country.

I also agree (and know) that some of the crime syndicate driven marijuana farming is done indoors, and on US soil.

If marijuana was legalized, all of the money that is now going to drug cartels would then be channeled to US based marijuana farmers instead. If fact, it would likely boost the economy slightly as a whole because no only would that money be going back into our economy, smokers would no longer have to waste money paying inflated prices on marijuana and could then spend that money doing what Americans do best... buying other crap we don't need. :p

What I was trying to do was elucidate was the fact that there are two distinctly different marijuana cultures in this country, and two distinctly different types of users. I support the marijuana users that have educations and full time jobs, and are otherwise law abiding citizens. I do not support the marijuana users that do other drugs, are criminal, or otherwise just generally lazy, worthless, and do not contribute to society in any way.

A lot of that weed is what goes towards funding gangs, US based criminal syndicates, because the profit potential is so high, so in a way even though the money is reaped by Americans, it's the not the ones we'd want to be doing the reaping.

Haha, yeah like that garbage from BC
  17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's only the "El Paso sector."

I know a large chunk of those that smoke pot are your teens/college students (at least they get their start there). I also know a lot of those start marijuana just to be rebelious. If marijuana was legalized, what would the new rebelious drug be? Would it not cause a boom in cocaine demand (or other hard drug)? I see that as the primary benefit to having marijuana illegal.

Simply put, those Mexican cartels pushing hundreds of tons of marijuana aren't going to go down without a fight. They are likely to introduce some variety of drug that keeps first time users hooked on the first go kind of like what tobacco companies are doing to stay alive.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Most pot I know that is sold is to provide extra money to live on in the US. This even goes towards people that sell a few hundred pounds a month. Not to brag but I did used to sell around 500 pounds a month(YEARS AGO BEFORE I HAD MY SON). NON of that money went towards violence. It went to bills, toys, and good times helping the economy by spreading the money around in the city.

Now Canada DOES PUSH a lot of pot down too! Their pot is much much better, and is a lot more expensive.

This is some home grown from a mix of Canada/Mexican weed
    [​IMG]
    Which is normally all I smoke anymore is homegrown grown in my state. There is no drug cartel that kills people! It comes from normal every day Americans.
  19. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have alil sumpn sumpn
  20. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I can see this side of the argument, and honestly it is too complex an issue for me (anyone for that matter) to even try to argue against.

It is possible that they may start pushing other drugs harder, or possible that when the mystique is taken away from weed, kids will look to other sources for rebellion. Honestly though, it would take some time for weed to be truly accepted and not considered rebellious even after legalization, so it would probably be some time before we saw the true effects of any phenomenon such as you propose.

See, this is the type of dealer I was describing in my previous posts. An avid pot smokers that sells to a carefully selected group as an extra source of income. Most every dealer I've ever dealt with has been this same MO. Middle class guy, drives nice car, has nice house, probably has nice job, needs extra money for vegas and a boat to take to the river. Other middle class friends with nice jobs buy pot from him, and they all smoke it with each other. No money ever goes to any type of drug cartel, terrorists, etc.

That is why I was saying before, the people with the devotion/skills to grow top notch weed will still make good money selling it even if legalized, so (other than unforseen collateral damage) only the drug cartels, or "bad" dealers would be affected negatively (or positively from our point of view).
  21. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I am starting to get dizzy after 4, so yeah, I wouldn't be fully impaired, but my reaction time would be reduced drastically. I have memorized where my radio controls are, so I never take my eyes off the road. Plus I don't mess with the radio when I am in a neighborhood or school zone, park etc.

IMO, a car is a loaded gun. It has the potential to kill every time you get behind the wheel. My stance on cars is the same as guns. If the operator is at the top of his game and not fucking around, then both are safe. If the operator is too comfortable, that's when people get hurt.

Not a scare tactic, just truth. Addicts come up with every lame ass excuse in the book to justify what they do. I am just saying the potential reality that could come from it. Drive impaired and the chances go up that you will have an accident. I posted a link that had information to the National Highway safety board that showed that 6-11% of fatal accidents had marijuana involved.
  22. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I agree that a car is a loaded gun. I agree that addicts make excuses.

I do not agree that all reasons given for marijuana to be legal are excuses from addicts.

I do not agree that when a person who has smoked marijuana is in an accident, the marijuana is always to blame. Much like the point I made in my previous post, moderation is the responsibility of the user, regardless of the intoxicant used.
  23. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'd join in on the whole "it's illegal" discussion. But considering it isn't here I have nothing to add.
  24. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Intelligent pot smoker is an oxymoron..... One of my friends was a pilot..... Yeah, he wound up loosing everything including his license, wife, kids etc. He is now working as a taxi driver... Great job :pimp:

Why am I not calling out pain patients? Because that is not what this thread is about. I have been hopped up on morphine and there is no way in HELL I would drive or do anything that could endanger other people. If someone does, they are no better.

Nothing I can say that will change anyone's mind, I know that. Hell, I have been the guy that wont listen in the past. Bottom line, it's illegal for the time being.
  25. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    It is not hard you fall, it is how high you bounce. I would bet a million euros that he has a HELL of a lot more "problems" in his life than joints. I would assume a pilot must have some degree of intelligence and resourcefulness just to get to be a commercial pilot.:confused: