1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are your plans for Windows 8 ?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Nov 3, 2012.

?

What are your plans for Windows 8 ?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2012.
  1. Already using it

2,380 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. I'll take a look soon and then decide if it's right for me

760 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. I'll upgrade this year

218 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. I'll upgrade next year

421 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. I'll wait till it's more mature (Service Pack 1)

972 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Too expensive, improvements are not big enough

898 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. I don't think I can live with Metro

5,870 vote(s)
    51.0%
  1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has launched its new OS. Are you ready to make the switch?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried it, it is okay. If I do make the switch it will be perhaps in 6 months to a year when drivers and things like that have matured as well. Microsoft hasn't provided me anything groundbreaking with their new O/S, so I have no reason to change at this time.
    Law-II, Zubasa, radusorin and 2 others say thanks.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Already upgraded and using it. Nothing really special but I love playing with new software.
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Going to wait until service pack 1. Hopefully by then they will add in proper aero etc.
    Zubasa and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  5. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    If it comes to tablet version, I'll use it. On a desktop does not see the point.
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    ill be using it when i gather enough information about the apps i use now and how they act in windows 8.
  7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    My main rig is still on windows 7 and don't plan to change. On the other hand I couldn't pass the opportunity to upgrade from a Vista 32bit OEM machine to Release Preview 64bit and then Win 8 Pro for just 30 Euro. It's as simple as that. The choice should be made on what one really needs but it's better to make your mind before the discount is over.
  8. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I'm sticking with Win7 for now... I might go Win8 early next year though... :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Did not vote... you need an "I tried it and then decided it's not right for me, as it is." choice.
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I tried Rt and did not like it. For $15 and better battery life I was pursuaded. I installed it on my laptop even. I am switching back to 7 until sp1 because of the lack of driver support.
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I use W8 as my main OS since September 2011 (yes lol since the very first preview version). Now I use pro version and I like it.
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'll get it when I can afford it. So I have no idea.
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    It can't get any cheaper than now.
  14. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I will try out next year. for now i stick with W7
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I know, but I still can't afford it. My economy stinks atm.
  16. el fore New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the interface meters and has more compatibility with Windows 7 applications.

Do not use the laptop I have now only has one GB RAM DDR1, a turion 64 to 2.20 and an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.

y estoy usando el traductor de google.
  17. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU, el fore :toast:
    That translated a lot better than it usually does using Google translator. :D
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ive used it and tested it, still though Metro gets in the way, so no thanks. Sticking with 7 till MS provides a means to disable metro.
    Daimus says thanks.
  19. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I like it, since I've figured stuff out now. I think a lot of us grabbed it at a good deal, so it wasn't too bad in that respect. I reinstalled Windows 7 today (on another drive), and i've been thrown off since using 8 :laugh:

I don't find it as bad as a lot of folks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. It is not as bad as many make it out to be. I am useing 8 right now. I still fight it on some things, mostly driver related issues but the gui is a measily OK. I much prefer 7.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Kaleid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now using the trial for a bit and I don't like it much. It's a confusing OS because of metro, and dual programs and I can't get rid of metro even though I use classic shell.

The only good thing I can see this far is that it does seem to be faster with images, but as it is now I still prefer win7.

And I still can't change the background color in windows explorer. Being forced to use white is a terror for the eyes.
  22. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is a great everyday system, those of us like my dad (age 61) who just checks the news, e-mail, skype, and finances. However most of us know that windows 8 is a pain to use without a touch interface, i might be blowing smoke cause I know you can upgrade a computer with a touch monitor or something, but I don't see the use on the desktop when your screen is 1-3 feet in front of you. Do I really want to reach my arm all the way out every time I want to use my computer, or move my monitor up to my face, no. If you could disable the metro interface it would be fine, but then you would just have windows 7 :banghead: . On OEM's disabling the metro would be great cause most OEM's are selling their computers with this OS. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of my self, so my answer is I'll let it develop a little more, and I might come back to it.

On a side note I saw a laptop with a touch screen, and it was like $700, Windows 8 kinda makes sense in on this device, but idk, still gonna let it develop.
  23. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    You know, it's funny because I came back to 7 today, and there are already things that i miss about 8, some things that are even easier. (lol i just can't think of them right now) I didn't have too many driver issues, but then again, i don't use too many things, extra peripherals that require it.

My brothers were over last night, and I had rebooted at one point. When it started back up, my brother saw the Start screen and asked what it was. I showed it to him, and he thought it was super awesome. :shadedshu He's kind of ignorant of these things, but I can see how some would like it. :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    I like how Windows 8 integrates with Windows Mobile devices kinda like Apple with Macs and Ipods, But i'm not sure if it can replace what I do with Windows 7, I'll install it on a Media PC first, then wait for about half a year and decide
  25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    At the moment I can not find much about 8 that 7 does not have. All the little graphs and what not are really cool. 8 sure is snappy. 8 gives me about 30 minutes extra battery life. I really miss my finger scanner for logging in. I can not even get the finger scanner to work in 8 at all, driver issues. I have had two random blue screens since I got windows 8 that I have no clue where they came from. Should of wrote down the codes. In the middle of a video windows 8 restarted automatically for updates which annoyed the heck out of me. I need to find and change that setting. Finding different settings is difficult now but that is all in the learning curve.

This feels way to ranty than I mean it.
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU