1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What benchmark program is without a doubt the best to use?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Thorn8369, May 14, 2009.

1. Thorn8369 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to know which bench program is hands down the clear winner when it comes to benmching a system?

Cheers in advance,
    Thorn
  2. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    This will torch your rig for stability.

OCCT

After your stable just stick with what most use for benching...that way you'll have a comparison to run up against.

3dMark 06 is the general benchmark...Vantage next.....Lightsmark is good for graphics.

Hope it helps. :)
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find 3dmark06 to be more accurate of real world performance over Vantage since most games aren't multi-threaded or only threaded for 2-4 cores, like 06.
  4. Thorn8369 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah basically I want to test for performance/stability. The only gaming I do on my system is World Of Warcraft
  5. Thorn8369 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will OCCT cause any harm to my rig at all? I don't want to stress it too hard :-{
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stressing it wont do anything bad unless your system is unstable.
    BababooeyHTJ says thanks.
  7. Thorn8369 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, after 1 minute it stopped with an error :) 1 of the cores went a bit hot
    Time to drop the voltage a touch
  8. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Regular OCCT for 1-2 hrs will catch any errors that 4-6hr of prime 95 or orthos will do.
    Linpack (intel burntest) is also on there but I don't recommend that without VERY GOOD air cooling or watercooling - it will torch your cpu...
  9. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I use OCCT strictly because its the fastest way to find out if your OC is stable. If it can't pass OCCT 1hr or Prime95 for at least 2-3hrs, its NOT stable.
  10. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have found Prime set to large ffts then click custom and have it use all of your available ram. That will find any MCH or memory errors. I had Prime small fft, blend, Memtest 3.8, Intel Burn test stable clocks fail in 2 minutes. :laugh: OCCT is a great program as well, but I love Prime. Small ffts for 12-16 hours will accurately test you CPU clocks for stability. Wprime is a great bench. Its one of my favorites, Everest cache and memory bench is great and 3dmark 06 will give you a good idea of gaming performace although it's mostly a cpu bench.
  11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone remember PCMark?
  12. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    QFT

I would rather have something fail early when it's easy to rma then to have my data slowly get corrupted and eventually have a failure. Data corruption is a pain in the a**.
  13. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is no a single universal benchmarking app. everybody has different requirements, thats why there are different benchmarks.

you say you want to "benchmark" and your only application is "world of warcraft".
    so bench world of warcraft? get on a gryphon in stormwind and watch fps with fraps. What do you want to bench against?
  14. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Me, I still have it haha :D

As for general benchmarking, I have and can use any of the following;

3DMark 03
    3DMark 05
    3DMark 06
    3DMark Vantage
    Cryostasis Demo *
    FarCry 2 Benchmark Tool
    Furmark
    IntelBurnTest
    OCCT *
    Prime95
    Tropics Demo v1.1

* = Untested

The ones I tend to use are bolded out, although I've not actually tried OCCT yet, I'm going to and I'll more than likely swap from using Prime95 to OCCT. So long as you can pass Prime95 8hours+ or OCCT 2-3hours+ and a benchmarking program like 3DMark 06 or something similar to test your GPU then your fine for WoW matey.

Personally, so long as WoW isn't laggy/choppy in the larger populated areas like Dalaran/Shattrath and your tests have passed you should play it with ease :)

--Lee
  15. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    3DMark06 is in my opinion the best for this reason.

It put's the system through various tests and also benchmarks CPU. Some say it is not real world but it gives multiple in depth testing. If you look at performance increases/decreases between different hardware, 3Dmark06 is always in the middle. I feel it gives a nice average measuring stick of performance oncreases.
  16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    My favourites are:

• GeekBench (great allrounder)
    • FritzChess (TRUE multicore/tasking test)
    • CinebenchR10 (TRUE multicore/tasking test and measure scale effect of additional cores)
    • Lightsmark2008 (nice and short, and great music to listen to)
    • A REAL GAME for FPS, not a synthetic like 3Dmark06. Yes, 3Dm06 is very popular, and we all use it, but IMO it scales TERRIBLY. There is no direct correlation between th 3Dmark06 score and the FPS or playability of your favourite game.
  17. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    u know what there is no absolute benchmark program because not everyone uses there computers the way some benchmarks are made.

Like for example, 3dmark is absolutely pointless to a non gamer, and on a gainestown machine with firegl or telsa cards, it probably wont score as good as a quadsli'd yorkfield.

But change the benchmark programs to like vantage, or even cinebench, the gainestown will make putty out of that yorkfield.
  18. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    GAMES
    The best program(s) you could ever use to determine stability.
    Hands down...
    ;)

Seriously, it is the best way to determine stability. Others have tried every other burn-in, stress-test, benchmark program out there. I've still seen folk have problems in certain games.