• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What can I do with a 9700pro?

mobius

Ive had this since it came out, stock cooling, no overclocking at all. (Built by ATI, not Powered by ATI)

I have the latest ATI drivers and have ATI TOOL 0.0.22

I ran "Find max memory" and after 20 minutes it levelled off at 348.30

Then I ran "Find max core" and after 20 minutes it levelled off at 332.10

I then pressed "save" and i guess it applied the overclock settings?

Am I doing this right? What speeds should i set them at to be stable? It says Default is "core 324.0 and memory 310"

Im planning on getting the ATI Silencer 1 or rev3... but version 1 is too long to fit. Should i buy one of these?

What speeds should i be seeing from using this ATI TOOL? what im getting? less?

Ive also heard that its bad to overclock either the "core" or "memory".... which is it?

What else or what should I do with this card to get the most out of it?

Thanks for your help :)

mobius

I just ran 3dMark2001SE on both default and the other settings i posted above

Default 10466

Overclocked 10291

Can anyone explain that?

GoLLuM4444

If you had ATiTool running during the second benchmark that might explain the slightly lower score.
Overclocking both your core and memory a small amount is fine.
The frequencies you have got are about right as the 9700 pro comes clocked close to the maximum the chip can take with stock cooling.
For the 9700 pro you should get an ATI Silencer 1 cooler if you want better results.

mobius

I did not have ATI TOOL running during the 1st or 2nd test

silencer 1 wont fit, it will hit my harddrives :(

how is rev3?

so if i get either cooler, ATI TOOL will increase memory/core speed more on its own? or do i have to change something else to do that?

GoLLuM4444

The old Arctic Cooling Silencer rev3 is a good cooler (probably the best value air cooling) but I think it's about the same length as their new Silencer 1 so probably wont fit either.

If you cool your GPU better then it should achieve better core frequency. ATiTool will try to get it to go as high as possible and so it will automatically detect a higher stable frequency as the GPU is more capable with better cooling.

GoLLuM4444

Also max memory frequency shouldnt change if you cool the GPU differently.

YawAKooL

It should - if the Core is cooled well, the heat won't spread from the Chip to other components of the card.