1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Can Thermaltake Do For You?

Discussion in 'Thermaltake' started by Tt Enthusiasts, Aug 2, 2011.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Well got a new keyboard finally TT esports Challanger.... was suppose to be a Challanger PRO but Amazon screwed up my order and due to the awesomeness of the holidays i am not waiting till sometime in january to get the keyboard i want so ill stick to what i got. not happy about the situation but the Challanger keyboard while i feel a bit overpriced for its features, is a very solid keyboard, and it matches my FRIO and Toughpower Grand 1050 gold. well that and i refuse to go back to software keyboard to type since my sidewinder x6 shit the bed a week ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cadaveca and Tt Enthusiasts say thanks.
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Very nice keyboard,i did a review on one about 6 or 7 months ago

3. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    I apologize if this gets a bit lengthy. 3-4 years ago when my roommate and I lived in the dorms he brought his original Thermaltake armor case to school with him. I remember how envious i was of his case. Thermaltake, to me, has always been a tier 1 manufacturer of computer components. The only thing that prevents me from buying their parts was the price. While I do know that a higher quality comes with a higher price, it seems like to me I have been drawn to Thermaltake’s competitors because I got a better price, with similar/better quality. These are just my personal thoughts on the current market for your products.

I am a huge fan of the Thermaltake level 10 gt case. This case really shows innovation in its unique design and custom features. I would like to see a case of similar build and features in the sub $200 range. Specifically a full tower with hot swap 3.5/2.5 bays for around 150/160.

I would also like to see one accessory pulled from the level gt case that could be sold individually. I would like to be able to buy the headset holder and mount it to any case I currently have. I think there is a huge market for a headset holder accessory. I would love to just be able to buy one stick one on the side of my case so that my headset is not laying/falling off of my desk all the time.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. This kind of support shows that Thermaltake cares about its customers.

4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea its not bad but its there entry lvl i paid for the PRO model not standard and Amazon screwed up. still way better then my broken sidewinder and way way way better then my halfassed saitek that the spacebar was broken on haha. still dissapointed i didnt get what i ordered. oh well looks nice and works as intended.

5. Tt Enthusiasts

Tt Enthusiasts Thermaltake Rep

Thanks Received:
    The headset holder is a nice feature, and I like the idea of a stand alone accessory but you can run into the issue of how to mount it as double sided tape (the easiest way to implement) has a high likelihood of falling off and not lasting the duration.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is that mechanical?

7. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    No thats a rubber dome style keyboard.

Tt eSPORTS MEKA series are the mechanical models

8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    U could stop using red all over your products

9. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I understand we try to make a mix of colors for different tastes...

which product in particular did you have in mind?

10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I wish Tt could send me some free stuff . Being out of work for 4 years now is no fun and not having any cash for any thing other than bills like food and rent is all I have . No Christmas for me or my family once again , This year Christmas has been canceled AGAIN !

11. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    IS the V1 still considered a current product?

Here's my thoughts about the V1.
    It's a very nice looking cooler. I like the innovative design and the blue LED fan adds a nice hue to it. I also like that it was copper.

Unfortunately, it doesn't perform very well at all. At least on AMD's. I had bought it originally for my old 939 rig.

The first issue I had with it was the retention mechanism. Why doesn't the top of the base (where the retention bracket goes) have 2 grooves machined into it to help the retention bracket center itself and to keep the flimsy little retention bracket from collapsing on to itself?

Second, the retention bracket uses a lock down mechanism similar to the stock AMD one. The biggest issue there is, in order for you to be able to swing the lever all the way around to lock it down you have to move the cooler to clear the heatpipes. And upon doing so, it's no longer centered on the CPU. Once the lever clears the heatpipes, you have to move the V1 again to center it.
    As any good overclocker knows, if you move your heatsink around, you're going to introduce air bubbles into the TIM. And air is a horrible conductor of heat.

Third, once the V1 is actually "locked" into place, there is not enough socket pressure. I could still easily move the V1 around.

Fourth, if the cooler is being marketed to the high performance crowd, why isn't it recommended for overclocked CPUs'?

Fifth, I had gotten two of those coolers and both had concave bases. Why would the base be concave? This is especially problematic on AMD's since their Integrated heat sinks (IHS) are also concave. This makes for a really bad contact patch in the center where it is needed most.

Sixth, why doesn't the base cover the whole CPU IHS? When I mounted the V1 on my AMD, you could see 3mm of the CPU's IHS exposed. I know the cores are right in the center, but increased contact = greater heat transfer.

It's really disappointing to me that the V1 cooled so poorly, I really liked the design and really wanted to like the cooler, but it was just so bad, that I couldn't.

With little more than an adequate AMD retention mechanism it could have been a great CPU cooler.

Now on the other hand, I have an original Big Typhoon that I lapped, and that thing cools just as well as, if not slightly better than my Xigmatek Dark knight.
    It seems to me that Tt has great ideas and the beginnings of good products, however the follow through is not there. Products are cobbled together and the quality control is lax.
    With my experiences I am hesitant to buy any more Tt products. Sorry to say that, but it's true.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  12. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    you list alot of issues, and I could understand some.

The V1 is still available and not a bad coole depending upon application. I have not had issues with retention pressure but I will be happy to check it out again as its been awhile since I messed with that cooler.

if your looking for a cooler marketed or targeted to overclockers then your more in the market for the Frio Series anyways.

also for the "cobbled together" comment please feel free to discuss and I will be happy to address your concerns and look into them if I find there to be a legitimate issue.

13. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    The retention pressure and mechanism only applies to AMD's. It seems like the intel mount was better since you actually screw it to the cooler. I bet it provides a lot more pressure. Not to mention that intel CPUs' are slightly convex so the concave shape of the V1 would fit it like a glove.

As for the overclockers statement, I bought the V1 a couple of years ago, before the Frio line was launched.

As for the cobbled together statement, this only applies to coolers. I can't comment on any other product as I have no experience with them.
    Although, I suppose that statement was a little harsh. Perhaps, unfinished, would've been better.
    And here's what I mean by that.

Lets take the V1 for example. I had gotten two of these coolers. The first one arrived damaged inside the box. There was no damage to the newegg box it came in, or the Tt box inside of it. However, the cooler itself had fins that were pushed together in several spots. Some of the fins weren't even attached, and the glue/solder that holds the heatpipes to the fins was all over the place. I was fairly disappointed and returned it immediately.
    The second one I received, didn't have any of the cosmetic defects of the first. It just cooled poorly.

Then lets look at the Big Typhoon. Which I think is a GREAT cooler if you finish it. IMO, it was just unfinished.
    The BT has 6 heatpipes, that's awesome.
    Has a huge array of fins for increased cooling, not to mention a great way of mounting a 120x25mm fan to it. Although, it would've been nice if there were slightly longer screws supplied so you could mount a 120x38mm fan to it.
    The fan orientation is excellent as it blows AT the board helping keep VRM's and other MB components cool.
    The mounting mechanism was really nice too. I liked the metal plates and the screws. Although the adhesive pad for the backplate is a HORRIBLE idea, reason being is that you cannot remove it without risking damage to the motherboard.
    Also the top plate was made out of some weak metal and has a tendency to bend when pressure is applied, but it's not too bad.
    Another great thing about it was the COPPER base and heatpipes --excellent choice of metals.
    Even with its minor flaws, it had the potential to be a GREAT cooler. But it fell flat in arguably the most important part. The base. The size is great as it will easily cover any CPU out there, however, its finish is probably the worst I have ever seen. It has ridges in it that are 3mm deep. :twitch: Easily enough to file your fingernails. No amount of thermal interface material can overcome a finish like that.

However, I love my Big Typhoon. When I got it, the first thing I did with it was lap it. I can't comment on performance beforehand, however, after lapping, it kept my x3 720 cool as a cucumber. My 720 idled at ambient temperature, and loaded @ 37C with an 800MHz overclock @ 1.45v. Simply awesome. Even Corsairs H-series can't cool that well.

So as you see, with just one more step in the production process, Tt would've had a cooler on its hands that would rival the performance of almost any cooler out today.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  14. fsufan0025

Thanks Received:
    I used TT cases for a LONG time, but don't anymore. The last 1 I used wasn't very well made, and I'm not a fan of any of the current models. But---I'd LOVE to see the SKULL case make a comeback !! Heavy ?? FOR SURE -- but -- BEST TT PRODUCT EVER !! I do still use your PS's though when I build for others, unless they have 1 they want to use. Got any old 1's stuffed in a corner of a warehouse collecting dust I can buy ?? I'd take 2 or 3 -- no problem !!:rockout:

15. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    SKULL case? please refresh my memory here I would be happy to check out the possability

16. fsufan0025

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Xaser series case. They do have a 10-slot model that was recently released..well, maybe 3 years ago now, so not so recent, perhaps :p

18. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I had a feeling it was the Xaser you were referring to..... wow thats reaching back a lil while :)

yeah that thing is nuts for sure.

19. Canzara

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I had one of those Xaser's in 2003, still have pics of it and my setup from those days. Those cases had built in fan controller and TEMP sensors

20. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yea I remember those. I had a Xaser V Wingo, crazy thing; it looked like a car stereo on it's side lol

[​IMG]

21. potanda

Thanks Received:
    Can you make the cord on the Meka g1 longer its way to short its the only down fall of the key bored for me

22. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I understand and we are looking into improving this in the future.

23. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I guess Tt can't give me any thing for Christmas . Well that is just great !

24. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    dude you really need to re-think your life if your asking for handouts :)

Radical_Edward says thanks.
  25. trickson

Thanks Received:
    It is all I have left dude ! :slap:
    Sure is easy to laugh at others when you have so much ! To tell the ones that no longer have to get off there ass even when there is NOTHING left to go get . Must be nice to have while other have not . That is all .