1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Can Thermaltake Do For You?

Discussion in 'Thermaltake' started by Tt Enthusiasts, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I have a VF7001BNS htpc case and was wondering if there was anyway to have the lcd power off when the computer goes off. I can control the lcd fine when the computer is on, but the light always turns on when i shut down the pc. It does say the time which is cool, but it is too bright.
    If it is not possible to do this, then I was wondering what is the life of the lcd screen if it is on 24/7. I tried to google this and got nothing good. Thanks in advance

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Tt Enthusiasts

Tt Enthusiasts Thermaltake Rep

Thanks Received:
    Lemme look into this... im not 100% sure if it can be or not.

dank1983man420 says thanks.
  3. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    The functional lifespan of the LCD is stated to be in excess of 100,000 hrs

so I would say you should have a good life out of it as the LCD should far exceed the warranty or life of the case :toast:

sorry for the delay in response it took some digging to find.

dank1983man420 says thanks.
  4. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, thanks a bunch for finding that out for me!! Love the case other than the lcd being too bright when the computer is off but I think I can get used to it. The only other thing I can think of would be including a memory card reader, but I did a 5 minute mod of buying a cheap one on ebay and sticky taping it under the case so it blends right in.

5. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    lol, were always looking to change things but the design of the case was to mimic other home theater appliances which have active display when powered down.

I will look into option for manually disabling display as an option in future designs though. Thank you for that idea.

6. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    One thing I thought of:

How plausible would it be to produce a fan controller with a programmable fan curve? Let me explain:

Most fan controllers are either: 1. Manual, rheobus type or 2. Auto/Manual - where a RPM is set, and a temperature is set. Fan runs at manual settings or if on auto mode, runs at set RPM until tempurature exceeds set threshold, at which point, fan runs at 100%.

What I'm thinking of is a multi-channel fan controller which behaves like the fan controller in a graphics card, whereby fan speed is gradually increased in proportion to temperature rather than an all or nothing approach.

Ideally such a device would be a 5.25" bay-mounted device, with temperature probes for each channel, and connected to an internal motherboard USB header for programming functions, with fan control knobs which are retractable (Such as Scythe Kama Panel 3 knobs). Ideally, again, when a given fan knob is retracted, that channel follows the programmed curve, and when extended, that channel is in manual control via the knob. Or, same thing having retractable knobs , however the manual/auto mode being controlled by a seperate button per channel rather than the knob's retraction state. (knob for manual setting, and button to switch between manual/auto per channel) It should be a high-wattage device capable of supplying at least 30W per channel simultaneously on at least two out of the total number of channels, the remainder being 5-10W or better.

The software for such a device should function similar to BAGZZlash's excellent RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor)'s own fan control interface.
    [​IMG]
    The software should be neccesary only for adjusting settings and programming the device, the device should otherwise be completly stand-alone (software, or indeed the computer itself apart from power supply does not need to be running for device to function completely)

Such a device would be the ultimate fan controller. It would obviously be expensive, but fan controllers in excess of $100 are already produced and sold. I currently have a Lamptron Touch, and for such a high-end device it still uses the all-or-nothing approach, resulting in a leafblower sounding computer every so often. The main issue there is the sharp change in volume from the set default fan speed and 100% is very noticeable, where as on a fan curve, it may have never needed to get to 100% to keep the device cool.

What do you think? Is it plausible, and do you think it would be saleable at the price that Tt would need to charge for it?

7. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    This is a cool idea. Thank you very much for offering it. Let me see what I can come up with.

8. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    It would definitely be my next Tt purchase if you can make it happen :toast:

9. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    haha, well I will do what I can ;)

10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    As an Enthusiast. One thing i would like more of is self contained watercooling loops/units but for GPU's

ATi experimented in the earlier days with the exact thing on their X1900XTX toxic edition cards. but my understanding is that idea was scrapped due to the 'development' or further development of vapour chamber and heatpipe cooling.

COOLIT came out with a product called the O.M.N.I but they only support a very select few of older generation highend cards. There has been no news if COOLIT are going to release a new more universal cooler which could possibly well mean that the O.M.N.I series has been benched so they can focus more on the CPU side of the market.

Had they made the O.M.N.I more Universal instead of making it for highend cards only, then maybe the unit might have gotten a better reception and still be popular even now.

Obviously, a self contained waterloop for GPUs would still be no match for a fully customisable water loop. but given the price, and if it cools decently. Im sure there will be huge revenue to be made.

I run a dual 6970 setup, the cards are still running with the stock coolers and i have refrained from overclocking as not only do these cards sound like a boeing 747 on takeoff but they also run tremendously hot for my liking.

In Badcompany 2, Playing 1 round of Atacama Desert can see temps hit as high as 88'c

If you would be able to offer a self contained waterloop that cools better and a lot more quieter, then stock cooling, then I will start saving my pennies and wait eagerly for its release.

---

In short....

carry on when COOLIT left off.

11. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake already did that. See this.
    But I think a newer model for recent cards is a good idea too.

12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    that might have been good in 2005, but this is 2011. graphics cards run a lot lot hotter and secondly I dont even think that tidewater fits many 'recent' and cool them competantly let alone be available to purchase.

I would think you'd be pretty lucky to find one for second hand even.

Im talking about a cooler that can cool todays graphics cards. not Legacy cards.

13. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I listed an example of what Themaltake had already done. Of course that won't cool recent cards, didn't I made that clear in my reply? :confused:
    I can find one new for 81€. :laugh:
    Not worth it, I think, because I don't have a card to go with it, but that's why I said, a new model for recent cards is a good idea.

14. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    wow thats a lil blast from the past there.

could be an interesting concept and could be an option let me see what I can do.

15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I was gonna suggest making it customisable. so we can add something like an Aquabay M1 to the mix but then i remembered that, that would defeat the whole idea of making it 'self-contained'

16. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    well if they used standard hose and parts, more advanced users would have the option of expanding their cooling system.

17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks i got the part 2 days ago..

Just a thought i would like to see a more advanced fan controller kinda like what Zalman do but if it could have ways to check the power usage of not just the whole system.

18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    then you might as well go build your own waterloop.

Id build a dedicated 240mm loop for my 6970s but the problem is. blocks for those cards cost £80 EACH as much as i strive for high performance and low tempertures £160 just for blocks is a little excessive. throw in the rest of the other gear, piping, rad, pump, fans & other attachments/fixings and reservoir as optional and youre looking at at least £300 for a kit

you could just buy a cheap 240mm kit then just add waterblocks to that i guess but it would still work out around the same price.

If TT were to come out with a closed water loop to cool 6970s around 70'c load thats still quite a big improvement. and depending on the RRP, it could well be worth buying

actually here we go....

XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 = £130
    2x 6970 waterblocks = £160
    Fittings = £10

Total = £299

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  19. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    That kind of defeats the purpose of self-contained systems. What they could do, is use compression fittings which are fused to the componant (res, block, rad) and have some tamper seal, that way it's essentially leak proof like self contained units, and users can still expand, albeit being limited to the tubing size that Tt uses, and with a modified warranty. That way Tt can still warrant the self contained kit with some certainty, and can warrant an "opened" loop in the same way the components of a custom loop are. That is, provided they don't use any hazardous chemicals in their coolant.

20. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well I have a ton of Thermaltake products, due to doing reviews for Tt :D Most of them are from several years ago as I have not been doing computer product reviews for about four years now.

However I have recently purchased a couple of newer Tt products and one is the Armor A30 modular small form factor case. Very awesome case to be honest!! For being a "cube" style gaming case it has tons of features and is very easy to work in/with. Awesome job on designing the enclosure.

Now the next recent Tt purchase was the e-Sports Challenger Pro keyboard. All in all a very nice keyboard...........However, I feel that the driver has a lot to be desired. It is handy that one can shut the large Tt emblem light off and adjust the light intensity but it is a little annoying that when a person reboots a computer and enters the main GUI all lights go of and it takes 30 seconds or so to load the driver information. Granted the keyboard has onboard memory that has to load (or boot) however that should happen once the computer is booted up. Other than this one minor issue I love the keyboard and how it feels and looks.

Thermaltake has come a long way in recent years and I for one will be a faithful consumer for as long as I purchase computer products. :toast:

21. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    One thing I would love to see a company do for the community is a proper heat solution for modern graphics cards.

Not just a wrap heatsink with modular fans, that can be mounted either side. But also a PCIe extender ribbon cable, And a block to spacer your card away from the motherboard. This would allow someone using crossfire or sli to increase the gap between the cards without having to mod there case too much, and allow a user the space between the cards to boost airflow.

I'm not suggesting this design. Far from it. I would like heat pipes and fins on the back side, with fan mountings. So heat can be blown upwards away from the card in a tower.

[​IMG]

Pcie extenders are cheap but look cheap as well.... there's space for branding and colour on there....

[​IMG]

And the last part would be a riser block to get the card away from the motherboard so you can mount the cards above the PCI slots. The block for the backplate is pretty easy, But the support for the weight of the card would require some thinking about.

[​IMG]

This image shows the standard motherboard screw layout... between points E and K there is an opportunity to make a screw in bar with a modular plastic design that would hold the weight of the cards, and could probably hold a patent...

scaminatrix says thanks.
  22. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Someone give this man a cookie!
    I think there's a big market for the PCI-Ex16 extenders , especially if a company started making them look nice (red and black please :p).
    The only thing to worry about with the riser idea is losing output connections on the GPU. The ideal scenario would be someone with a mATX mobo in an ATX case.
    Unless you could fashion a contraption that allows you to fit a GPU into a 5.25" bay...

23. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I would just like Thermaltake to put out a little bit stronger pump. I am still using my Kandalf L.C.S case because you just cant beat the design that has a 3x120 Rad built into the case.

I have recently gone Sandy Bridge and while I found a new mounting bracket to continue to use the included block it was not very P67 friendly(H-bracket interfering with the backplate of the CPU) I found the block wasn't that efficient(well I was asking a 3-4 yr. old block to do the job) So I have replaced the block with an AC Kryos(sorry TT you just didn't have anything I was sure would work) I kept the rest of the loop fully intact. But I think the real shortcoming is the pump(honestly the temps between the stock block and the new Kryos are pretty negligible)

So I have no way to upgrade the loop any further without starting from scratch(again would be an issue with the L.C.S. design) I know you are still using the same pump as far as I can tell. Give it some more horsepower and I would happily buy a new one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    like an Asus XG station but for a 5.25" bay

25. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Just dropped by to say that im very happy with my Tt Black Gaming mouse, it replaced a logitech G5 that was on RMA and i havent stopped using it since. Love the way it handles and all the features, the only thing i could ask for is a forward button on the side to compliment the back button that already exsists. Kudos Tt :D

Crunching for Team TPU