1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What comes after Haswell? Are we ever going to get more powerful cpu's?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or is it going to continually be based on power efficiency and on-board graphics? If I am not mistaken Ivy Bridge barely outperforms Sandy and Sandy still outperforms Ivy in some areas...

Haswell is said to be better onboard GPU and even better power efficiency, and it is a tock not a tick on the Intel model... anyone else feel it is not going to be worth upgrading to?
  2. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Only if devs learn how to code LOL
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not 100% tech savvy, what do you mean by this comment?
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    It's more or less going to be based on better graphics and power efficiency like you said. Which is fine by me because I mostly play games and nothing really stresses my 2500k to the max. Better power efficiency is always a plus...save on my utility bill a bit here and there and it adds up over time.
  5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    He means that the majority of software don't use the computational resources that computers today have. Am I right?

With how cpu developement is going I think I will keep my 2500k for quite awhile. I don't foresee myself needing to upgrade my 7970 anytime real soon either.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I think that development for desktop processors is going to slow down. Right now we are on a yearly cycle, we might see that stretch into 2 or even 3 years over time.

Mobile and ULV development would accelerate.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Who cares, as long as I get a good deal on a used sb-e hex.....
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Thats a good point. 2500k's can occasionally be found for $100 like microcenter. We may be in for a lot of very powerful cpu's for quite cheap.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm just sitting and waiting for an sb-e... quad channel goodness ect....
  10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    after Haswell maybe this
    [​IMG]
  11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    After Haswell is Broadwell.

Intel is mainly focusing on reduced power consumption, and improved IGP. Thats really all there is too it.
  12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Devs are more worried about the ARM world of computing...that and DEVS have been giving people a reason to need faster hardware and that reason is laziness...

No need to refine a program and work the bugs out when people are just as satisfied to purchase unnecessary hardware to make it work right LOL...

At this point I don't see Intel really needing to spend money on R&D on the CPU side of things other than for efficiency purposes...its not like they have competition there but they do need to work on their GFX side where they are being slaughtered.
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Who gives a toss about "better graphics" which are still crap in every possible aspect. And i have stand alone gfx anyway so i couldn't possibly care any less about it. I think it was a stupid idea to stuff GPU in all processors and only enable it if mobo supports it. It's like always carrying an extra engine in the cars trunk which is not connected anywhere. You just carry it along for no reason...
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Your forgetting about mobile and laptop/ultrabook market. Along with people with Media systems to do blu ray playback and such like that where Intel and AMDs IGPs can do perfectly fine.
  15. Vendor

Thanks Received:
    I'm not really desperate about either of them, i'm might keep my current cpu or may be even whole system intact for next 2 years.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Im going Haswell 4770k or Ivy Bridge E to improve video editting rendering and such.
  17. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Improving power efficiency and IGP seems like a good step towards mobile market (ultrabooks, Surface etc).
  18. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I do for one...I remember the time before a stand alone discrete GFX was necessary to play PC games and I can't wait until we no longer need those devices...

I seriously hope video cards will soon become just like audio cards.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Cheap(Compared to video cards today) and still quite a bit better than onboard?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm prefectly happy with my i7 3820. No turbo used in this 4.5Ghz OC. :cool:
    Can't wait to see what IVB-E brings to the table.
  21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This is all due to the lack of competition from AMD as we know. It was like this in the 90s when AMD wasn't a threat to Intel, then AMD made some decent processors and performance ramped up a lot as they competed. Now that AMD are once again not a threat, Intel slow down the performance improvements. It's as simple as that, regardless of any other factors in the market.

It's all well and good improving power efficiency, but the real enabler is flat out performance. Think of all the high powered games and other processing you can do now but couldn't dream of in say, 2000, all because the straight-line performance has improved by so much. It's like an average car compared to a rocket and that's a serious enabler.

Here's one small example we don't even think about: picture resizing. Yup, when your web browser scales a picture to any resolution that takes a lot of horsepower, especially for a big picture. It's nothing for a modern CPU, but just try that on a 10-15 year old one and see how long it takes.
    Phusius says thanks.
  22. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with that. If we were following your "requirements", Crysis 3 would still be a 2D side scrolling shooter...

Ppl who usually make media centers or HTPC's usually don't stick the highest end 350 EUR worth CPU into the box so having an integrated crap GPU makes no sense at all. Low end CPU's, maybe, but not highest end ones.
    Jack Doph says thanks.
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I broadly agree with you there. However, I like an IGP for a different reason: troubleshooting. Makes it very handy to just "get a picture" when something isn't working right.

Otherwise, yeah, I stick in my high end graphics card and the IGP becomes a useless piece of silicon that's taking space and resources away from giving me a better CPU.
    Kast and Jack Doph say thanks.
  24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    But you’re the exception. 95% of the market does not know what a dedicated GPU is capable of. It’s the APU that is driving technology right now and advancment in graphics itself and driving down costs for everyone.
    jmcslob says thanks.
  25. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Intel is seeing AMD as a serious threat atm, they are more likely to view ARM and other mobile architecture as a bigger long term threat, and they are responding accordingly (lower power consumption and better graphics). To be fair, AMD is pretty competitive up to 3570K in the consumer market, they have APUs which Intel has no answer against, and their server side is not doing too terribly either.