1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What company would you choose it when it comes to new motherboard?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by saarxee, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saarxee New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS
    GIGABYTE
    MSI

I know usually customary to compare by model board, but now I'm talking in general - which company do you think is the best in terms of quality and reliability?
    This is a discussion ...
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They are all good, with lemons seeded within if you are not careful. Warranty in your country plays a big part on whether they are actually good or not. Other people may say otherwise, but that is largely because of personal experiences.

As for rumors, Asus's quality has dropped a bit, ASRock is the manufacturer of the moment.

You will need to consider the ease of use for BIOS too, you will have to ask motherboard reviewers for that.
  3. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I personally go for AsRock boards these days :p
    rtwjunkie, Jetster and de.das.dude say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. saarxee New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASRock? Good Motherboard?
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Price point and purpose is the key.

You want the best overclocking platform with the best BIOS around? Get a RoG Extreme board.

You want a good overclocking platform with loads of features? Get an Asrock Extreme11.

Reliability is not an issue when talking about high high end, the chances you get a dud board are almost the same between those brands you mentioned.

I praise ASUS but I'd never recommend one of their boards if it is outside the Deluxe/RoG/Sabertooth tier. Their top tier motherboard are the BEST clocking board your money can buy ;)

Other brands are just good in every segment ;) except maybe for Gigabyte but it could have been a coincidence of issues I had to deal with.

You'd be surprised at what ASRock achieved these days.

ASUS has to watch its back carefully because ASRock will come in biting, trust me.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    ASRock seems to be the best in the market ATM.
    ASUS quality has popped. so has their service, but all manufacturers service seems to be bad.

Dont buy ASUS especially if you are in india.

PS: i dont see the purpose of this thread?? do you want a motherboard? or are you just looking around/trolling(which seems the ? if its the latter there are
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    asrock for the board and price/performance

gigabyte second for boards

(and you asus haters meh! my first choice for graphics)
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    ASRock and ASUS are my picks usually, both make great quality boards(and it makes sense since they both share IP). Both build very solid boards.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    I have personally used Intel Desktop Boards for many years now its sad to see them go, 8 series boards being the last from them, after that i will have to choose from other companies eg the ones the OP mentioned above plus others.

I always give Intel priority for my personal builds, i don't look for the best OC board or the one stacked with features either, I normally try to get ones with most features running from the native chipset, i don't like having too many 3rd party chips on my motherboards.

Generally i have had a great experience with the Intel Desktop Boards with only one giving me BIOS issue being the one I'm currently using the issue is not a big deal as i don't use it (the issue is Intel management engine fails to initialize from a cold boot ever since the introduction of 003x BIOS) other than that a great board if not using the 003x BIOS

Would i buy Intel again YES, I'm currently eying Intel DZ87KLT-75K, I'll probably get in a month or so after launch as i already have a buyer for my i7-3770 and DZ68BC.

Support from Intel is great to me as i don't have to pay for any warranty shipment and I'm in Kenya they provide me with a DHL Supply Chain accounts so they can pick defective part and deliver the replacement no charge, process normally uses DHL Express so 2 days shipping to destination, 1 day for checking defective part for any damage and dispatching replacement, 2 days to ship back replacement to Kenya. So on average worst case scenario is 6-7 days and i have a new replacement.

[​IMG]
    revin, erixx and puma99dk| say thanks.
  10. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I prefer Gigabyte these days. Just my 2¢.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    This I do not agree.

Bought every single Rampage since the first (REIII excluded) and they've always been top notch.

About service well, that's region-bound. If something is wrong in NA you just cross-ship and that's awesome.

If your country does not support cross shipping well... be prepared to wait for months.
  12. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    we have more than one service center in my city. no question of shipping.

we drop off. they fix board somewhat, they return, board starts crapping after 6months again.

most people would agree their quality has dropped. even i was an asus fanboi. made 5-6 builds with asus boards. 4 of them have started giving problems.

oh and the last time my prev board stopped working (sata problems), i removed the southbridge heatsink to find bubble gum.
    yes bubblegum! i didnt believe it but i smelled it and it was fruity. it was sticky and flexible like gum too.
    since it was 6months after the last rma(4th time) i just bought an asrock board.
    i re applim TIM and it the other board works well(albeit a crappy VRM)
  13. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    MSI...I really fell in love with the build quality of it
  14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    AsRock if I want decent overclocking features for a build in the $100 range. Asus around the $150-200 mark, and typically I'd go Asus or in a rare instance Gigabyte (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH) in the 200+ market.
  15. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Asrock for motherboards.They have lots of models,features, mixes new and old tech.

MSI for custom designed video cards.
  16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    All of them. Depends entirely on what you do imo. Some models are better than others, but if you just want something, anything, anything will do.
  17. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    I agree on the asus up the higher end of the scale, the rog range is dedicated to enthusiast and overclocking.

they got a whole division for it!

but price/performance I cant knock this Fatality.
  18. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I have boards from all 3 but asrock boards just work you don't find any quirks or strange behaviour or features go missing after a bios update.
  19. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    The Intel boards aimed for the retail channel were always made by Foxconn, so you can still pick something from them I guess. They are usually very stable and reliable boards but not really enthusiast friendly, well, not at all tbh.

Also: Put a video card into that PC at once:p
  20. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    foxconn stopped making consumer boards a while back. a year ago i think.
  21. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    IIrc they just released some z77 boards last fall, but either way, they will probably still make some to somebody else then.
  22. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I usually go between AsRock, Asus, or Gigabyte, but I picked up a MSi board the other week and I really like the board. I hope to pick up more soon. :toast:

I did as well! :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Intel Motherboards are not made by Foxconn, people have always speculated that, it's only some of Intel Stock CPU Cooler & CPU Socket that are made bay foxconn.

The boards are made entirely In House By Intel Motherboard Division.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hawthorn-farm-motherboard,2963.html

The Photo above is for the upcoming board that I'm interested in its 8 series DZ87KLT-75K with thunderbolt
  24. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Asrock
  25. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I was a former fan of ASUS... but they've made the BIOS on their boards mega confusing (from all I've read). I sill own a Maximus and Rampage Formula, awesome boards.

I'm sticking with Gigabyte for now (UD5H), it's awesome... they've gotten their shit together. I used to have a DQ6 and wasn't terribly impressed.