1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what CPU is beter PHIIx4 960T non Unlocked (4Cores) or FX-4170 at 4.2Ghz ????

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by StanMen, Jun 12, 2012.

1. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys i have my new setup i got AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.0 Ghz Stock and i was thinking change it to AMD FX-4170 4.2 Ghz, my mobo is an AM3+ and also DDR3 1600Mhz 4Gb, so i want help pls wich CPU is beter for gaming ? and Perfomance ?

I allrady know that 960T is a grait Overclocker so FX also but for most time my machine is for gaming and 3D work so wich CPU is be a best ?

here some revews and some comparations ;
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/282/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4170_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_960T.html

video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-Nd-MNiTw&feature=related

oh my stock CPU in Cinebench 11.5 got 3.56Pts

and FX-4170 got 3.45Pts

help me to see beter CPU ! pls i got time to 7h today to see and make a choice

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    IMO, they trade blows. What one is faster with, the other isn't. Just take a look at reviews and pick for yourself as to what you would need. IMO, the fx-4170 would fall short to the 960T if comparing clock for clock.

StanMen says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I would not bother upgrading a 960t to any other quad core. The 960t is just as good or better than any FX quad. If you want to replace the 960t, the lowest I would recommend would be the 6 core 4.1ghz turbo boost FX6200. But then again, if your 960t can be unlocked to a 6 core, I wouldn't upgrade it with anything AMD makes right now as any performance gains you'd get would not be worth what it would cost.

Any quad-core upgrade of the 960t without going Intel would not worth it money wise IMHO.

StanMen and JrRacinFan say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool mate thanks i was looking vids and i saw that my cpu stock clocks with an HD6850 on BF3 at ultra set on reso 1080p get 40fps 50 some maps 35-48 is more than playble but my monitor is max 1280-1024 so i will get some nice 60fps 55fps :D with 7850 :p

oh and one more thing the PH II x4 960T BE have true 4 cores 4 treads! and FX-4170 and 4XXX series have 2 cores and rest is virtual so is isn't true 4 core CPU.

thanks buddy i stay on my 960T AM3 but i will get OC on it for now 3.6 and will goo up to 4.1Ghz you guys help me make this speeds in AMD Club :D:D you are BEST EVER!!! :toast:

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Not necessarily. It's like having 2 cores with 4 FPU's/4 threads. Good for multithreading, not great for single thread. Also, if you were to push up the clocks on the FX you are going to be pulling about 20% more power. Yeah 960T, if you can give it a good overclock it is the fastest chip AMD has to offer right now, IMO.

StanMen says thanks.
  6. scope54

scope54

Thanks Received:
    fixed

StanMen and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  7. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Hmm....6 cores - can you tell me the games that benefits from a 6 "real-core" CPU?

StanMen says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Before this becomes a pissing competition:
    6 core Thuban /= 6 "core" bulldozer

The Thuban, and Intel, use a different numbering scheme for their cores. A single integer cluster used to be a processor core. All of the resources fed that integer cluster.

Bulldozer eschews this architecture, and has the same resources dedicated to two integer clusters. An analogy is taking the frame and engine from a car, and fitting it into a motorcycle. The same resources feed both vehicles, but theoretically the car will waste less of the resources because more can be focused into producing thrust than maintaining stability. While rough, it is basically what the new AMD architecture bet the farm on.

In practice, the motorcycle has been proven to perform better in almost every sense. This is why keeping an older AMD 4 or 6 core CPU is generally preferred over going to a similarly "core" equipped Bulldozer model.

The short of it, keep what you have. Upgrading doesn't make sense, unless Piledriver really fixes most of the issues with the architecture.

Super XP, Kei, phanbuey and 2 others say thanks.
  9. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    bad company 2, battlefield 3, grid/dirt series,etc

StanMen says thanks.
  10. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks bud ! very good now i realy going keep ma Phenom II x4 960T BE, one thing just pissing me off is that i can get daaam unlock of all 6 cores! but again to telling u true i even don't care caus 6 core is cool for havy multiprossesering yhaa but as i just an gamer and some 3D worck and photoshoop for my Moding team in rFactor so for now is cool this Phenom II x4 960T as i have my mobo AM3+ and wen the AMD relise new CPU i feet it on my mobo ;) this is a deal ! for now doesn't make any sense spend more $$ i want my wallet stabale on $$.$$$$ Ghmoney LOL

11. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    This was not intended to be a pissing competition....

I have had a X4 965 BE and a X6 1100T .... now I have the FX 4100 BE and it is running faster and has more OC headroom than both the others.

....and my question was not about Intel vs. AMD vs. motorcycle vs. Bulldozer vs. Thuban vs. vs.

My question was about 4 vs. 6 cores in games.....
    I cant feel any diff. in BF3 running X4 FX4100 vs X6 1100T.......

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait for piledriver...

Super XP says thanks.
  13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I interpreted the comment incorrectly.

What I read was the following: "A true 6 core processor, such as the Thuban or 39x0 from Intel, aren't going to perform in gaming any better than the '6 core' Bulldozer offerings. Additionally, hexa cores don't see benefits greater than quad cores."

To that, I can't even respond. You're looking at an investment for several years, and saying that because right now the performance is "good enough" you are willing to settle. I don't get it. A similarly priced quad core Phenom, versus a 6 core Bulldozer, trade blows. If you were to run a Thuban versus a 6 core Bulldozer the performance difference is night and day. That kind of difference is depressing at best.

Again, perhaps I'm looking at this wrong. If so, please disregard the comment and take it as my ignorance with my apologies.

StanMen says thanks.
  14. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
  15. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    So guys? the beter choice is insted 960T BE an FX-6100 ? in this way the FX-6100 is beter than 960T BE ? and one more thing the FX-6100 have 6 Cores and Original OEM prossesor what this means ?

16. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I don't know the technical correctness of this analogy, but it's pretty damn slick. Really helps with conceptualizing the speed differences.

17. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't think of anything better, and the technical side of me wants to kill the imaginative side. Happy days.

It's not particularly accurate, is rough at best, and glazes over a heck of a lot of the technical aspects. That said, it does fit some of the components. Thanks for the feedback.

StanMen says thanks.
  18. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    And on your opinion now betwin the my 960T BE and 965 BE wich cpu is beter perfomance in gaming ? caus i can finde any but any tipe of benches for my 960T BE i can finde any info on perfomance :((( some one have any benches pls ? :rockout:

19. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The difference is what they are based upon. The 960T is a thuban core (6), with two disabled. The 965 is a quad core through and through.

I would purchase the 960T as an upgrade. There's a slight chance you can unlock to a true 6 core processor. If not, you can push some decent overclocking and wind up with a very decent quad core.

StanMen says thanks.
  20. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehe thanks buddy i allrady have my 960T i just want some info benches of my 960T caus i can't finde any benchmark of my 960T BE ?

21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I doubt you'll notice a difference, where the Phenom II X4 strong the FX 4xxx is weaker, and where the FX 4xxx is strong the Phenom II X4 weaker. They are virtually the same. The only advantage I can see switching to the FX 4xxx is easy 4.8GHz OC but you are getting a respectable 4.2GHz OC already so is it worth the headache?

If you are looking for an upgrade look at the Bulldozer X6 or X8 otherwise be content with what you've got until Piledriver.

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Most sensible phrase I've seen in this entire thread. The 960T is fine for the moment, don't waste your money until we see what Pile Driver can do.

Dent1 says thanks.
  23. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    StanMen says thanks.
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    955/965/975/980 BE models are Deneb Core, 960T/970 BE is Zomosa Core (Thuban X4).

1090T 1100T are Thuban X6

Chances of Unlocking a 960T/970 to Have 6 cores and Max Cache Levels are not greater than 50%

Read this if your overclocking for gaming performance.

Compare clocks of the PHII to the FX Line

http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpus/page10.html

25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This ^ All true.

The appealing thing about the 960T is the fact it uses a Thuban core. The one thing that makes Thubans more appealing than Deneb is the fact the IMC can be overclocked and perform much better plus the CPU in general can overclock a little better. It's about the same performance that you would get out of any Bulldozer chip.. So switching to BD would be a sidegrade at best.

StanMen says thanks.