1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what distro for Old Machine

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I have this Northgate Machine my mom gave me (why?).
    It is a Socket A Athlon XP1700+ and it currently has 256MB of RAM but im planning to up it to 1-2GB of ram. it has a 250GB ATA 100 Drive and a DVDROM. I had to replace the CPU fan as the old one had stopped running. I had 768mb of RAM but one of the sticks was bad.

I plan to use it for Usenet and/or sell it to a coworker as a websurfer/papers machine but would be nice if I could get it running some nicer stuff like media. The graphics is an onboard S3 graphics. The board is the Syntax SV266M http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813183009
    I included the link for better H/W clarification for OS compatibility.
    Which Distro to run?

2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I suggest trying Linux Mint, but I don't know if it can offer a decent display driver for the graphics. You therefore may have multimedia/resolution issues but Mint seems to be better at putting "weird" hw to a working state than e.g. Ubuntu. If you are feeling adventurous you could try Gentoo, but because everything will be done manually (by a CLI) and compiled from source it is a lot of work (when "done" it will be time to install a GUI). Gentoo gives a good chance of letting everything work and (if configured properly) run smoothly even on older hw.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Right now Im running Lubuntu but the CPU is maxed out doing simple crap like loading apps and running SABnzbd. LinuxMint is not able to run on 256 mb correctly. if i can find a good deal on 2gb of PC2100 RAM ( less than $40) then yeah, Id seriously look at LinuxMint. ( I installed it on my mom's lappy.) Right now though im working with limited RAM.

4. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I'd hold off on bothering to do anything til u get a little more ram.. nothing crazy just a gig or 2

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  5. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tip. Im currently running it for downloads and looking for a good deal. Any ideas? im not real sure how fast the 1700+ is

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am currently running Ubuntu 11.04 on a socket A system with 2 gig of mem and it runs great. I was running 1g of mem and it still ran fine. Proc is at 2.2 ghz. Here a screen shot

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. chamaecyparis

chamaecyparis New Member

Thanks Received:
    ~1.5GHz and 266 FSB -- at least 512MB required to run even antiX, which is my recommendation. I value performance over looks, just to tell you where I'm coming from. It's Debian-based, so has lots of software packages available. Plus, the smxi script makes post-install tweaking easy.

If wanting a 'buntu-derived distro, I would have to steer you towards wattos next; then peppermint. Both the latter 'like' at least 1024MB RAM, however.

The more RAM, the better, as either of the three above will improve significantly in performance directly with RAM increases.

Once the user learns linux, an eye-candy distro like Bodhi can be tested; (Not for newbies).

Best wishes!

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Don't install new ubuntu or mint. They are too cluttered. Install mint 9

9. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    i just installed DSL 4.4

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Was about to recommend that. But to be honest that is almost too light for that system. You could try Xubuntu or maybe CentOS. I tried CentOS on a similiar specced machine (1GB RAM) and it worked very well. Xubuntu too will work like a charm.

11. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    eh right now it has 256mb of ram and im going to run usenet

12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    and sab is a great network-oriented app, i have mine on a server and can add/view from anywhere on the network. i love it.

13. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    yeah but its a resource hog so dsl should work fine what with using only 64mb of ram and next to no cpu

digibucc says thanks.
  14. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    i installed (frugal) dsl and it freezes after rebooting so Im probably going to run it from cd only. i need good debian compat distros that run smoothly on 64mb of ram. I need to use it to run sickbeard and sabnzbd only.
    Im just going to part out the machine.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  15. dzero

dzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try a livecd/usb of Puppy Linux or Haiku to see if those will work well with your system.