1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you all think of this...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by WarEagleAU, Dec 13, 2006.

1. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    TEC (Thermal Electric Cooling). I havent really read up on this, but it looked interesting. 2 out of 3 reviewers on the summary page gave glowing reviews. 1 said it was better than his liquid cooling setup (hard to believe) the other said it was a great cooler. THe nay sayer said it cools about as good as his TT BT but costs a hell of alot more. Just curious as to what you all think and if anyone can give me a run down on TEC cooling. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835702001

-The Eagle

2. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    first, i do not own a TE cooler, but i´ve done some research recently cuz i also find the idea quite interesting.

TEC and peltier effect explained here and here.

although a TE cooler can give you VERY low temperatures (yes, better than water sometimes) it has some major drawbacks, namely:

- construction of a TEC is complex, so they´re quite expensive
    - the peltier element itself draws quite a lot of power (some TECs come with a separate psu!)
    - air moisture can condense at the peltier element (--> water inside a running pc? :eek: :eek: :eek: )

so imho TECs are for the wealthy oc freaks, for the "regular" user it´s not worth the effort...

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I would say that would work wonders.