1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you want from the next Windows OS?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im creating this thread because I came across a rumor that Windows 8 was going to be built with the gamer in mind since Microsoft finally realized that is over half their market. Rumor also has it that it will be cloud based. However, with the could business aside, I thought it would be nice to make a thread and have fellow TPU members post what they would like most out of the next Microsoft release. Here is what I want to see:

If you are going to have more than 1 version of Windows 8, make 3. MAX! Have one for "Home" use (general PC use), have another thats targeted towards gamers/PC enthusiasts, and finally have one aimed towards business. And dont make them rediculously more expensive than the previous. This is where all the pirating starts to originate. Put like a $50 difference between the three.

With the next version of windows, ELIMINATE 32-bit FOREVER! Lets get away from this age old technology and start moving towards native 64-bit computing! Developers will continue to be lazy and not write native 64 bit code for their applications if you (Microsoft) continue to make a 32-bit operating system. (and the excuse that the 32 bit software supports 64-bit does not mean its native 64-bit. I want native) Ill even give you an example. With Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit, if you go to the properties of Windows Media Player, you will see that the target path is ""%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1. This is the 32-bit version of Windows Media Player. There is in fact 2 versions in the 64-bit version and the other version is native 64-bit.

Thats just to start out. Ill let you guys hammer in some things you would like to see in the next version of Windows. Im interested to see how everyone will weigh in.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20026526-75.html

EDIT:

Things that absolutely need to be put into the next version of Windows:

• 64-bit only
    • Native multi-desktop support
    • New file system
    • Multi monitor support (for the toolbar)
    • Unsupport legacy hardware (motherboards need to follow suit with this as well)
    • Either get rid of Alt-Tab in favor of Win key+Tab or vice versa. No need for both
    • A better Task Manager
    • Software Repository
    • Restore gif support to what it was before (not loading in IE)
    • Power saving mode needs to be fixed.
    • Fix "broken" jpeg rendering errors in picture viewer.
    • Removal of Windows Defender (in fact, get rid of any security software built into the OS or give me the option of installing it or not)
    • Being able to install the OS on up to 3 or 4 computers (preferably 4) in a household like you can do with Office 2010
    • A lightweight install option (with and without Aero)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as its not cloud based for all versions I am down with whatever. If they think I want to load my OS via the internet they can suck these nuts and I'll switch to linux!
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Wondering if Anybody uses media player 64..... without 64bit codex.... Mmmmm
  4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to set it so all Windows apps run in native 64-bit? Or have I got to do it manually with the shortcuts?
  5. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please do not let it be cloud based! :::crosses fingers:::
  6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I read somewhere that Linux is doing the same thing. Might even be the next version of Ubuntu but im not 100% sure.

Ive actually never installed codecs for WMP x64. Never had a need to.

AFAIK, you can only do it by going to C:\Program Files\<insert windows app here> and right click it and create a shortcut on the desktop.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    MLK editions (Medialess keys), preconfigured USB drives (for installation) and FAMILY PACKS!! FOR THE LOVE OF BENJIE WHERE ARE THE FAMILY PACKS????????
  8. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu is just one flavor fortunately. Plus I just don't see them going cloud. Why would they pay for the cloud storage when they give away the OS? Maybe they will offer a cloud OS for a fee? I just don't trust anyone with my data.
  9. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I'd like them to finally get rid of the ntfs file system (like they promised they would with Longhorn a.k.a. Vista) and move on to something closer to Linux's ext4 where you don't have to worry about file fragmentation and at the same time have access to low overhead compression and encryption...

I'd also like to see a one stop update manager where all your software is automatically updated to the latest version...you guessed it...just like in linux :D

Microsoft has an enormous power thanks to their huge market share and they have never really managed to fully utilize it - when you are this big, you make the rules...what I mean to say is that they should f@C1 backwards comparability and instead start fresh and make something new and re-invigorating.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  10. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This may be a personal issue, but I wish they would make the toolbar span across multiple monitors...I do it now with DisplayFusion, but I really wish it was native to the OS.
    Jizzler says thanks.
  11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    But then if they did that, all everyone would say is that Microsoft ripped off Linux and that whole fanboy argument would come to light. However I do agree with you. :)
  12. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    ripping-off is such an ugly expression. Let's say instead that they should get inspired by Linux :)
  13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Lol if only people would interpret it that way.
  14. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Seamless replication and backup across the multiple devices we now own is a must... incl. across WAN. Server 2008 does this nicely, but we need a "workgroup" version rather than ADomain.

2. Scalable desktop, finally

3. Easier for older and younger users

4. Easier remote desktop

5. Audio/Video teleconferencing, workgroup, domain, wan
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well about to go bed but what you said about dumping 32bit like hell yeah as all that time put into 32bit could go to x64 ( IF they would do that is another matter ) but if they did shit be solved much sooner.

A OS for a game would be simply stripped of every thing for max performance and if the core of the OS was built for gamers in mind there would not be any other versions of it like business version of it, it be gamer versions plain and simple..

But ya know what it's not going to happen any time soon at least.
  16. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gesture and face recognition are going to be the important features of Windows 8. PCs will need a webcam and a kinect-like device, your face (or picture of) is your login.
  17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Kinect tech will be a big deal IMO for next gen PC's.

HTPC's with gesture recognition and voice control (that works, lol) will be a big hit.
  18. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All yall who don't want 32-bit compatibility are aware that Steam is 32-bit and will be 32-bit for the foreseeable future? 32-bit apps are rarely slower than their 64-bit counterparts (even with WoW64), and they're almost always smaller. Most of my games are 32-bit as are many of the apps and tools I use for work. The only benefit to removing WoW64 is to make the Windows installer a bit smaller.

Anyway I'd recommend:
    1) Improve performance in powershell
    2) NTFS is old, it needs to be replaced by something better
    3) Remove superfluous and redundant dialogs!!
    4) Make homegroup compatible across multiple platforms or get rid of it.
    5) Remove the asinine file name length errors
    6) Keep 32-bit compatibility but get rid of the still remaining 16-bit limits (like handle count)!
    7) Take IE and shove it up Redmond's ass, all up in the ass.
    Oh and...
    8) Make Windows 8 incompatible with BIOS, so that everyone will be forced to switch to UEFI finally.
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I dont know if i like the idea of using recognition software to log into a computer or not. I know that HP's computers at one point (dont know if this is still an issue) has issues with skin color. So if there were a malfunction like that, you wouldnt be able to log into your computer.

All i want is for 32 bit to die. If developers have to recode their software to be native 64 bit then so be it. IMO, thats the way it should be now. I also want to see legacy hardware die off. If people still have legacy hardware, its time to upgrade.
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont want it for login stuff, i want it for functionality.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope windows 8 has a Justin Bieber theme.
    Urbklr, neoreif, hellrazor and 2 others say thanks.
  22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Lol nice:laugh::laugh:

Like everyone said, fuk cloud based OS if they ever think of going that route:banghead:

pretty much what mussels said, more/better functionality:toast:
  23. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I think we're fucked in this route. Im thinking we dont have a choice.
  24. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I want it to print money :p

Well, to be more serious.

I want USB flash drive ver.

And more optimized for SSD which will probably happen.
  25. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Also what i would really like, ney demand, is more customization options of the visual theme. Currently if you want something different than the standard aero you have to jump through hoops of fire and shark tanks to be able to use non-official themes. And even those have stupid built in limits thanks to the cumbersome desktop window manager...
    The other day I was trying to find a way of removing the window borders or making them just 1px thick but after hours of googling, i just gave up.
    hellrazor says thanks.