1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What happend today and a moral

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by KieranD, Dec 6, 2008.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    A had a choice today which ultimately meant i no longer want to be friends with someone i know.
    I was in the bakers and then this women hit her kid and told him to shut up, then he went outside. Her im assuming friend well she said "hes off" eg running away, mothers reply "aye he knows better that to run away from me".

Would YOU A stand up to these people and tell them its appalling they could hit a child, even those that believe that you must at some point hit you kid if they misbehave must realise to hit a child so lightly like its ordinary is appalling.

Option B which my friend who i will not talk to any more took, its none of my business she can hit her kid if she likes because there is nothing i can do.

Ive learned thats who i am to stick up for others, dont be afraid to tell the dick playing techno at the back of the bus put some headphones in. Dunno if anyone will care but i hope there are people out there who feel the same way, it meant a lot to me something that previously i wouldve overlooked, in my face slapping a small child and no one cared just made me angry that people can be that way :shadedshu.

2. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh?

It took me a few times over to read that, but I agree with your friend. You DON'T want to get yourself wrapped up in that kind of thing. It is non of your business, unless you want to call CPS on her, which you can't do because you don't have her info.

Someone listening to music on the bus without headphones is another issue, although you probably still don't want to piss them off...

KieranD says thanks.
  3. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with a little hard discipline. There's a reason the new generation of kids is full of disrespectful pricks... Because the worst that will happen is a "time out", yet nothing happens if they don't go to the "time out".

4. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mom there should have used a hickory switch/stick on the little spoiled brat.

Chris

5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, you dont know the circumstances preceding the event, nor what the child had done. Unfortunately, no matter how much love your kids, there are times that some discipline is required. Sometimes, in public, the way this is done might not "look right", but it doesnt mean they are bad parents.

Beating children is bad. But discipling children is good. The questions is how to do it. Where's the balance. Some children comply with words. Others dont, and often require a little physical to get the message through. It's only people who dont have kids that think they do exactly as they are told when they are told.

You've got to remember that children are wild animals until trained.

Don't lose a good friend because you take "your opinion" over his. That's arrogant. Try to find out why he has his view, and what experience has led him to take that view. You can then agree or disagree with him. But dont make enemies jut because someone isnt complying with your POV. That might be considered arrogant... where if someone doesnt agree with you, then you punish them (in this case, turning away friendship).

KieranD says thanks.
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing a little pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock can't fix :p

it depends, I'd have to see the incident to be able to say one way or the other . . .

although, I agree with everyone else's point, there does come a time when the "discipline" is excessive . . . it's not about beating your kids, it's about raising them right. I was never beat nor hit growing up, and I've turned out quite mature for my age and no where near spoiled . . .

that being said, if the mother's discipling of the child was excessive or overly forceful - you can bet I wouldn't keep my mouth shut.

I've even gone so far in the past as to do the same when seeing someone excessively "disciplining" (read: beating) their pet. One incident of such even had me at to the point where I had threatened the pet owner, stating that if they hit the dog one more time, they best hope their dog will be willing to defend them when I come flying over their fence . . .

Thing is - disciplining is fine, I see nothing wrong with it . . . but human nature dictates that it's too easy to vent frustrations towards someone or something into that disciplining - at that point, you're no longer disciplining a child so much as you are taking out your frustrations on them . . . and that, good people, is morally wrong.

-edit-

and seeing as how Lemonade posted while I was constructing my arguement . . . I completely agree with him.

KieranD says thanks.
  7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:

last year me and my buddy scot were eating at the burger king in the mall. after we got to our seat in the food court and started eating a lady was coming tword us with an 8 year old and a 3 year old...the tray was being carried by the little 3 year old girl well she tripped over herself and the tray shook...the french fries whent flying. the mom turns around takes the tray puts it on the table and smakes her in the face ad tells her thats why she isnt going to eat....me and scot stood up and started screaming at her....any way we got intoa huge argument and security atarted coming over..we kept arguing and the mom eventually said sorry and let her kid eat before security made it when he got their he asked if everything was ok we said yes and he walked away.

In your case its hard to say i personally wouldnt tolerate it but it all depends on situation i guess. I mean how long ago was it? imo if you dont say something at the time then for something like that i woldnt say anything now.

KieranD says thanks.
  8. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Beating a kid, any kid, is not ok. No matter how you look at it. And for what? That is the question. Because most of the time people who do that do it for the most trivial reasons. I've seen a kid beaten until he bled all over the place by his father, with a police stick. And you know why? Because he was out fishing with me although his father said he shouldn't. That was one of the most fucked up things I saw in my life. It almost made me loose all hope in humanity. I mean WTF we were just out there fishing, nobody was harmed, we didn't steal anything, nada. And then that. Cause if you look at it from an outside perspective: what did he do wrong? He didn't listen to his father's word, or command if you will, and then he was almost beaten to death by his father. What does that prove? That his father believed his own words are more precious than the life and or the well being of his own son. This is the bottom line that most people don't see, even on this site it seems.

Don't touch that expensive vase son! I told you, you will break it! What did I tell you? BAM!!! Now I will break your face! That's how 90% of beatings go.Cause yeah your own flesh and blood is not more precious than any object or any word. No?

KieranD says thanks.
  9. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you don't know the whole story... I wouldn't think anything of it. Some children need discipline. Plain and simple. If my dad didn't belt me for doing some really rotten things I don't know if a simple scolding would have done anything.

10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    you totally do not understand i cannot hit a child to me that is the most appalling thing ever especially if youve been hit by an adult before as a child

hitting them is not a solution it creates more problems

either way i did NOT misunderstand or not get all of the situation, the boy was making a lot of noise so me id tell him "calm down we will only be another few minutes okay:D" or "whats the matter son?"

the mum just said "Shut up!" gave him a quick slap

its also like the time i saw a mum and kid crossing the road absolutely no cars in sight, dragged the kid across the road and skelpd them because they wernt fast enuf,no that my stupid amigo is because children have small legs which mean the have crap balance and cannot run as fast as usain bolt!

why cant you guys just take my word for what i saw, in the UK up to 40% of children have or do get abused, ranging from physical and sexual to mental abuse ranging from neglect to name calling or shouting excessive, BBC news BTW i saw on tv.

apparently the way you are raised effects how you will be as an adult imagine that

people in scotland are just to quick to belt thier kids as an easy solution

all i want to do was tell you what happened in the bakers today and let people know dont stand up for that shit you dont realise it but its happening all the time i dont know what its like in the US but defo everything im saying applies for us UKers

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    in that situation youve got to just feel bad for the kid the mum was probly healthy embarrassed, id help her clean up probably but id give her a f'kn piece of my mind first

i see that shit happen everyday sometimes i leave it but im starting to think everyone's leaving it if i dont do something who else will, people need to know things like that are just unacceptable

my mate actually said to me they can do what they want its up to them, it dosnt effect me so why should i care? thats what pushed me over the edge, i dont want to be mates with someone who thinks its acceptable to go around doing whatever you like in this case child abuse or another racism

i cant do anything to change it is the most selfish and defeatist attitude ive ever seen

btw the guys usually keep it for the house if you saw a guy hit a kid in public its perceived as worse

my dad cheated on my mum around Easter think i should belt him for it :nutkick:

12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I was smacked left right and centre. Not abused but enough to know that if i did wrong, pain would ensue.

I would hit my children to get discipline in them no questions. It's what the modern age of kids lack, discipline and respect.

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i wish it was that simple but he has that view becasue hes selfish because he can be a nice guy he thinks hes automatically a good decent person, hes actually told me well if it was his aunt that did it it would be different

he blamed me today for the post office being shut without even checking the opening times, me i was chilled i was like its shut ill get it monday no hassle. he pays his parents bills you know council tax ect at the post office, he takes £300 thats just what he had last time. have you heard of direct debit? who sends their f'kn kid to pay hundreds of £ of bills.

its been a long time coming i think, other stuff too made me think whats the point in being friends with him hes got other mates and im always stuck disagreeing with him.

im not saying im perfect :shadedshu if i only get along with him for the sake of it then he can beat it, he dosnt need me as a friend hes plenty of others im the one losing out on someone i though used to be decent.

im to intolerant thats my proplem i like to be able to accept things, tolerance is just like i dont like it but ill allow it.

END OF RANT END OF ANNOYING MUTLI POSTS :laugh:

14. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Kieran, I think that if you lived here in the states and spent a little time in a mall or a Wal-Mart you might think of things a little different.
    I used to work in a Subway inside of a Wal-Mart and some of the things that I've seen kids get away with is appalling. There's a line between beating and punishment, and I know when I was a kid and I acted up I got slapped or spanked.
    What it all boils down to is that people are selfish creatures and some people are so selfish that they think they can have kids and remain being them selfish selves. (Which is why I know I shouldn't be a parent, because I'm number one and I don't want anybody to change that.)
    I think some of the blame also falls onto the parents of yester-year who are always there for the new parents to fall back on when they "want a break from parenting" because no such thing exists, it just encourages these bad parents to remain to be selfish and poor role models for their own children.
    There's a bold line between senseless punishment to a child because the parent is too lazy to be a parent and doesn't want to be bothered by a child's needs and a parent scolding a child after giving a verbal warning for acting out. However, like lemonadesoda said, it all depends on what the child had done to "deserve" the slapping.

KieranD says thanks.
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    thats a fair opinion
    its about those who think its okay to use a hand whenever even for things that are accidents

dump the kids with the grandparents is another one, some people just dont realise what they are doing "my dad used to beat me up your a horrible brat what im doing is nothing compared to what i got"

im glad tho whether we think hitting is okay or not we still agree the mental stuff like the name calling and the excessive hitting is abusive