1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what hardware have you killed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Geofrancis, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    what hardware have you killed over the years or had randomly died on you, blew up, burnt out.

i have had an x1950 pro die after the vga cable came loose and when i plugged it back in the pc powered off and the graphics card wouldnt work again.

i tried to run a x1900xt passive with an arctic cooling s1 then the voltage regulators overheated and died.

my x800gt all in wonder was lying in a pile in the corner with a load of other crap and when i tried it again it just came up coloured squares.

80gb maxtor drive died out the blue and the computer wouldnt start up with it.

a 500gb hitachi deathstar died when the power cable came loose from my dual 3.5" external caddy and when i put the wire back in the drive was dead.

ive had a few generic powersupplys just go bang.

im sure there must be people out there on tpu land that had killed as much hardware as me.
  2. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've shot up an old iMac with a shotgun, and a .45-70.

I've also had two ECS KA3 MVP motherboards die on me, and a MSI Laptop.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I've killed one peice of hardware; a kit of PNY XLR8 PC8500 2x1GB.
    DanishDevil says thanks.
  4. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    I overclocked an nvidia MX440 tooooo much ;) and killed it.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread is going to get big, reaaaal fast.
  6. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I had my Nventiv Mach II phase change unit, I didn't get an air tight seal on the processor and over time, rust ate away at the processor pins and killed my AMD FX processor. When I took the processor out, some of the pins just fell off on their own. Touching the remaining pins made them fall out right in my hand.
  7. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    In all of my PC history i can only remember to have killed one very old mobo in connecting the 2 parts off the mobo power connector the wrong way.. went up in smoke that thing.. ahh and there was one radiator i killed in using to long screws to mount the fans
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i flipped the red switch on a PSU, i left the PCI-E power into a card without it in the slot and powered the machine on... i turned a HDD on while wet ( but it was faulty anyway)

I tend to find the "broken" hardware is fixable. I get a lot of good stuff off my brother, cause he cant make it work and buys new stuff. (eg, goes through 3 kits of ram before realising his mobo doesnt like 8GB of ram)
  9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Built a computer for this girl i liked a few yrs ago, had a Generic 512MB RAM in it, she was using over 700MB of RAM, computer froze, went blue and green lines on screen, RAM had failed.

Brother played C&C 3 on my computer with my ADATA 512MB RAM, was using well over 500MB, computer froze, wouldn't reboot/post, he had killed my RAM.

Put a Generic 450W PSU in my m8s old comp with a AMD XP 3200 and a 6600GT 1.5GB RAM, turned it on, ran it for 2mins then BANG, PSU blew up with sparks flying out the back lol

Didn't put a 256MB RAM fully in the slot, turned comp on, smoke started to come out of comp, turned comp off, RAM was fried, oops lol (work comp)

Built my m8s comp AMD X2 5000, 2GB 800RAM, 8800GT and the 600W PSU went BANG after my m8 played Kane's Wrath for 3hrs :shadedshu (Not enough AMP's) Bought a HX-620 ;)

See a trend?
    Hitman.1stGame says thanks.
  10. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    damn killing a $1000 cpu must have hurt your wallet
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i had an FX62 for a while, cost me $200. they dont always cost that much :)
  12. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

Well, I bought it for like $400 or so. I was gonna sell it, but realized that wasn't going to happen :)

So now I have a heatspreader that reminds me of that day.
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Ohhh also wanted to add an 8600GT which was killed intentionally. Ironically it was also a PNY product.
  14. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    My FX5500 died after playing COH for 2hrs .... :D ...
  15. DreamSeller Guest

:roll::roll:

i've killed a generic PSU back in GTA Vice City days :D
    umm an 80 gb seagate an very old mobo that held an duron proc it was soooooooo slow (i was trying to play umm NFS Porsche Unleashed and i just hit it(with my leg) and it freezed and never started again :laugh:
  16. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    5x9600GSO voltmoadding them :p
  17. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect: OMG .. really ??? thats .... thats ....i dunno wat to say ..... five ...:twitch:
  18. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    they where free ;) 3 where 784mb sonics i wish i didnt try that volt mod it killed them with in a hr :(

but the 384mb where lil champs still got one left before palit left the us market
  19. Hitman.1stGame

Hitman.1stGame New Member

Thanks Received:
    my Celeron 733MHz MOBO(PCChip 133MHz) die after i Upgrade the Bios for another MOBO :nutkick:
    i still have it with the celeron (i give the heatsink to a friend).
    other things the DVD Driver .bought Lit-eon DVD/RW work for a month and start to be annoying (was just piece of junk).
  20. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Where should I start?

Well, years ago I fried a 486 processor. I remember the smell of popcorn quite vividly. I was just a kid without a clue. I think I rewired the connections improperly to the case switches in the front of the case. Why the hell was I even doing that? I guess I wasn't supposed to do that. LOL Recently I tried to water cool two Radeon 3850s; it leaked; they died shortly after. Oh, and I accidently used thermal paste instead of thermal grease with two Phenom 9600 setups. Well they got stuck to the heatsinks and I damaged them beyond repair when I tried to pry them from the heatsink. Whoops!!!!!!!

The Yankee game went into a rain delay. I was bored so I hatched a scheme to try out my quad crossfire 3870s instead of triple 4850s. I just recently may have killed a MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard. I tried to quickly turn it off after I heard a wire hitting the CPU fan. Well, it never worked again after I held down the power button. I think that did it in bacause it was just in the middle of posting. It would have shut off just by hitting the power button. I probably should have just let it start up then shut it down properly. Anyhow it now decided to just turn itself on whenever I turned on the powersupply and it never did anything but spin fans and never posted again. I replaced it and it now works again with the triple 4850s. If only there wasn't a rain delay. :nutkick:
  21. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Ohh i forgot to mention a DFI Bloodiron mobo which i killed with a not working bios flash
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    the voltage changer on the psu lol that was a fast lesson learned

apart from that a faulty psu killed a motherboard so i guess it wasnt my fault
  23. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    MSI P7N platinum, J&W P35 PRO, HD4830 and others.
  24. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    x1950 Pro, wasn't feeing it enough volts, works to this day, just artifacts like crazy. Beyond that nothing that was my doing. I think you all listing HDD's and such that failed should chalk that up to natural occurrences, things just die sometimes.
  25. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah, bad memories coming back...

killed my first vga (after a few months), an ATi 9550, at that time I was an ultra NOOB so I reflashed it to a 9600pro, the card was pasive cooled with a tiny heatsink, so the overheating killed the RAM chips, at least I achieve a descent OC for a few days (400/300 if I recall right).

a Duron CPU squeezed from my hands and droped in the chapter, the static killed it.

Ruined my first build, biulding it in static surface, killed the mobo.

Killed another mobo trying to replace the NB heatsink for a CM Blue Ice, the HS was attached with thermal adhesive, tried to remove it using a screwdriver, pushed too hard and the screwdriver got loose sratching the NB chip....hahahaha, what a dumb I was.

Killed another mobo flashing the BIOS, I did it right but something happened that corrupted the BIOS making the mobo unusable.

mmmm, think that's all, at least we learned from our errors, a positive point to save some cash in the future.