1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is best Heatsink for s939 out there ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kitt3, Dec 7, 2005.

1. kitt3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay guys which heatsink is best for s939 . Which one is best for overclockin an 3500+ 64 amd athlon ?

Thanks .
  2. JonnyWeismueller New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake si 120

Hi , i'm searchin around a bit now , and my conclusion is that
    the thermaltake si 120 with a papst 4412 fan is a perfect combi for
    the 939,it seems to be well made, great performance and the price is
    ok.
    thats what i will get for my 3800+
    :toast:
  3. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Thermalright XP-90C with a nice high flow fan like a Panaflo. It's a very good heatsink, and are very widely used.

-Dan
  4. JonnyWeismueller New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermalright, not Thermaltake

i got the name wrong,
    sounds the same anyway.............
  5. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    SI 120, XP 90C, TT BT and Artic Cooling Freezer Pro are the best choices out there....
  6. mccoyness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Ninja with a 120mm Nexus for a peacful life or a more powerful fan for some serious overclocking.

SI/XP 120 are also good choices tho
  7. soloz2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    tt big typhoon is the best... esp when you consider the cost
  8. kitt3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    GG keep voting :p so far TT is the winner :S
  9. jeremymtc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermalright XP90 or SI120 is your best bet. Might cost a few more duckets, but worth it IMHO.
  10. kitt3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    TT is always best . I have had ran this thread in like 2 forums most agreed TT is best out there .
  11. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:

i have to disagree. from what i've read, and from people i know who use them, TT aren't that great...
    IMO, the best sinks for any CPU are thermalight's XP-120/SI-120/90/90c. sure they cost more, but performance always costs more. :\

although im more than happy with the watercooling i have for my cpu...
    30-32c idle temp 42-44c load temp... :)
  12. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had both Thermalright and Thermaltake heatsinks, Thermalright takes the cake.

Get a XP-90C with a Tornado (or similar) fan for high performance. Get a XP-120 with a Stealth (or similar) fan for quiet but still good performance.
  13. bigbadwolf284 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u dont mind the paying the price thats the product 4 u............. H20-220 APEX ULTRA liquid cooling kit
  14. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a artic cooling freezer64 pro with a Silverstone TJ06 (mounts mobo upside down and puts cpu and ram in a wind tunnel), and I'm getting 28-30c idle temps, 37c at full load with my 3400 newcastle, which is pretty good for air cooling;)
  15. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u live in an igloo exeodus.. he he he.. at the moment my ambient room tempt is 24c my case temp is 25.5c.. my cpu temp at idle is 35c.. under load its 48c.. i do live in a real house thow.. he he.. not an igloo..

trog
  16. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    what are your system specs??
  17. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    right now an amd 3700 running at 2.4 gig.. my browsing speed.. zalman aero flower cooler.. in windows doing nothing my cpu temp reads about 10c over case temp which is about 2c over room temp..

room temp 22c.. case just under 24c just under 2c over room and cpu about 34c about 10c over case..

three case fans blowing in and one large power supply fan blowing out.. the fans all throttle up or down depending on temps.. at idle they are all throttled down.. all the fans going flat out might knock about 2c of the idle cpu temp and perhaps a degree of the case temp.. it all gets kinda noisy thow and isnt needed at idle..

under load at 2.4 gig the cpu goes up to about 48c or about 22c over case.. at 2.8 gig under load the cpu temp goes up by about another 4c over the lower clock speed temps..

the grfx card (ati x850 xt pe) has an artic cooler which exhausts outside the case which helps keep the case temp down.. that runs about 33c at idle and 53c under load..

of course the whole lot is directly linked to room temps.. if the room temps go up or down so does everything else.. hence my comment about u living in an igloo.. he he

trog
  18. Migons New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon + 193CFM Delta. That a good combo :roll:

Really I think that TT BT, Zalman CNPS9500 and Scythe Ninja (not Plus) are the best choices right now.
  19. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    while ambient room temps can have an effect on cpu temps, it wont affect it as much as you think. Im in chicago and even though outside temps will vary greatly, room temps will only very 7-10F, about 3-5c. As long as you get good airflow through the case, preferably intake in the front and exhaust out the back, your temps should remain pretty constant. The main reason that my computer runs cool is my case, my power supply and hard drives are on the top of the case, and my cpu and mem are at the bottom. Even with the box AMD hsf my temps dropped 10c on idle, 12-15c on load, which is great for air cooling. With my freezer64 pro, it dropped it another 8-10c.

Here is the design of my case for reference, it is well worth the money:)
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj06.htm
  20. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    your room temp is the baseline.. it governs all.. if it goes up or down so does everything else.. fact of life.. no ifs or buts with this one..

lets say u start of with a 20c room tempt.. your case fans blow 20c temp air into or thru your case.. even with a super airflow u could never cool that case below 20c.. raise the room temp to 25c and the case could only be cooled to 25c. raise the room temp to 30c and the case could only be cooled to 30c..

same applies to your cpu.. to the cpu the case temp is the bottom line.. if the case temp is say 25c no matter how much 25c air u blow at the cpu it can never go below 25c.. if your case was 30c your cpu bottom line would be 30c..

the new intel idea (they need all the help they can get.. he he) is to duct the cpu cooling air from outside the case and exhaust it back out as well.. if the grfx cards do the same it gets rid of a couple of big case heaters.. either way it still leaves your ambient room temp as the bottom line.. your cpu temp is governed by that and can only be xxx degrees above it..

course if anyone really does live in an igloo.. they start of with a positive advantage.. he he he.. with a 0c degree room temp my cpu would be about 5c at ilde and about 22c under load.. now that would be really good for air cooling.. he he he

trog

ps.. your case design is better than mine but i have a temp sensor outside my case and one at the hottest part near the top inside my case they never differ by more than 2c.. my cpu runs at least 20c over case or 22c over room under load.. with the stock AMD cooler it would be nearer 30c above case.. also if i run the case side off i get pretty much the same readings.. our results do seem to differ somewhat.. could it be our temp sensors..???.. all my reading do follow my baseline room temps pretty accurately thow.. i dont have aircon and things do vary some..
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005