1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the best MB, CPU and memory combo for $1000

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pabloottawa, Apr 13, 2012.

1. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the clarification. So if jumping on the SB-E bandwagon means getting a P9X79 then

YES!!!!

provided the tax refund goes through and the vultures at revenue Canada don't make an amendment.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Sandy Bridge: Enthusiast

The "Value" version of Sandy Bridge was released first (counter to what Intel did with the original core series processors). In order to cater to the enthusiast crowd (read: overclockers, gamers, small business, engineering, etc...) the platform was expanded to include more PCI-e lanes, quad channel RAM, more cores, and a handful of other features to appeal to this different market.

In this way Intel caters to those on a budget with the standard Sandy Bridge architecture, but also caters to those with deeper pockets and more demanded features with an enthusiast offering. The exact same idea is being implemented with the Ivy Bridge die shrink.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Cool beans, let us know how it goes. I'm always pumped to hear about someone investing in SB-E. It really is a great platform.
  4. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Will do and I really don't think I'll change my mind but I've had Asus for about 3 builds now and no real complaints however. I'm wondering if there's any other brands that are making waves in the MB scene.

How is Gigabyte doing these days with the x79 chipset. Would most people say they are up to par or better than Asus? What about bang for the buck? The P9X79 board seems to offer a lot of it but how do the other brands compare?
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    All of the features that P9X79 Pro offers is similar to other X79 boards, but the Deluxe has a lot of extra bells and whistles as well a really stable and easy to use EUFI graphical BIOS. If the wife ever wakes up, I will take some BIOS screenshots (you can take screenshots within the bios as well using a flash drive, I might add) to show you how many options this motherboard has. If you're an over-clocking or a tweaker, you'll go to town with this board.

Where you considering the Deluxe or Pro?

P9X79 link
    P9X79 Pro link
    P9X79 Deluxe link

I would recommend at least going with the Pro and if you want to spend a little extra, the Deluxe has a lot of little extra bells and whistles that really makes this a fully featured board.

I've heard Gigabyte's EUFI bios is a little touchy, but it could have been improved since then.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The GB bios improved ever since they changed BIOS maker company whatnot. Still, people seem to have bad luck with the current X79 line-up of GB so I'd stay away. For X58 I remember them being up there with the best, but since then I've lost a lot of faith in them.

IMO GigaByte, Intel, ECS and MSI are brands to stay away from.

I'm curious about how well AsRock is doing though
  7. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Ivy stuff still having heat issues? Seems like every review I've seen of them has them real high on temps compared to SB.
  8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    We'll really only know in a couple of weeks
  9. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    I am actually wondering the same thing.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    For X79, maybe. Gigabyte makes some nice 1155 boards and I've never had an issue with a single MSI product I've bought. (I've owned two MSI motherboards.) It's not that the GD-65 wasn't good enough, the P9X79 just has more to offer, also the GD-65 needs a CPU to flash the BIOS and doesn't support the 3820 out of the box. P9X79's bios can be flashed without a CPU or memory, so when my system wouldn't boot out of the box with the ASUS board, a simple BIOS update and I was ready to go.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte made some awesome X58 boards as well (best even) and I owned one, so I have nothing against them. They just got outclassed this time, in every way.
  12. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Sadly, I have to agree. The Gigabyte p45 board was the last Intel socket I owned before getting an x79-ud5. While there were some issues with the ep45-ud3r, it was always a solid performer. The x79-ud5 has caused more problems than I would like to admit.

Initially the UEFI allowed "damaging overclocks," or at least that's the PR reason Gigabyte gave when people started burning out their crappy VRM... The F8 UEFI did much to make sure that VRM could not be burnt out, but it also took a substantial amount of the finer tweaking options away. On top of this, the UEFI remains relatively unstable at the current F10 revision. I am getting occasional hardware faults, even without pushing the multiplier past 38 (125 Mhz clock with 100 base and 1.25 multiplier); Gigabyte's own PR has suggested that most SB-E processors are capable of that easily...

Truthfully, I would skip Gigabyte for x79. They aren't getting a good reputation, and it isn't undeserved. I haven't had an AsRock x79 board, but I've been able to play with someone elses. The x-ram is pretty much a joke, but the other features are very nice. They've got a decent, if different UEFI. The overclocking seemed very comparable to Asus, which is the best selling x79 brand for a very good reason. ~sigh~

Don't waste money on Gigabyte for x79. They really screwed up, and have yet to even acknowledge their error. I wish this wasn't the case...
  13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    What's X-ram?
  14. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    AsRock is trying to appeal to gamers, and those that don't know what the heck they are doing. Let me first state that it is xfast-ram, my bad on the quick typing

If you've got a 32 bit operating system (just hang with me a minute), and more than the 4 GB of RAM, you can assign the extra RAM to act as something similar to a swap file. This option isn't exactly utilized a lot, given that most people who can build a computer know that a 64 bit operating system is pretty much a must. If you're working with something that is 64 bit you can still assign the RAM, but it serves little to no purpose.

AsRock utilizes a naming convention that is basically xfast-____ to name their features. They're got a temperature controlled fan on the PCH that is x-fan, and variants of xfast for the USB and LAN. It's an extreme gimick, but the product itself is solid. They may have been a sister company to Asus in the past, but they've done quite a bit to differentiate themselves and make their own brand.
  15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    oh good :) gotta go read reviews to see what reviewers have to say about X79 AsRock :D
  16. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Hey Cadaveca,

You sold me on the H100. If budget permits I'll try to get it.

Thanks for the pics and info
    cadaveca says thanks.
  17. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Microcenter used to have free H100 with 3930K purchase :( ofc back then the 3930 was 100$ more though lol

cheapest H100 is 100$ here :/
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No problem. I cannot commend Corsair enough here for coming up with an easy-to-use solution that covers nearly every detail I was looknig for, and did so relatively affordably.

SKT2011/X79 CPUs don't come with coolers(maybe 3820 does, but i do not think so), and this new socket has a very different type of retention mechanism that makes most older cooler useless, so having to buy a cooler is just something you're gonna have to do if building with Intel X79 Express. Getting a decent cooler is going to help you get the most out of your investment.

There are other, more affordable options out there from Corsair that use the same pump head/block that has the same fan connectors, so you're not confined to the H100; the H60 or H80 should work just as well, although with higher temps, and thereby potentially highly noise levels due to fan noise.

You don't spend $1000 on an upgrade to have it so loud your ears bleed, so make sure you get some sort of quality cooler, even if not the H100.
  19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    3820 doesnt have a cooler.

Yea I think considering his budget the H100 shouldn't be a problem... For me it might be though lmao
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Depending on what you want to do, if you want to go with air, I bought the Zalman CNPS 9900MAX-B. It came with the LGA2011 mounting bolts and its thin enough where you can easily fit in 8 dimms of tall memory.

...and no, the 3820 doesn't come with a cooler.
  21. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Guys I know air coolers have come a long way and each to their own but is there an advantage to having one huge ass air cooler as your CPU cooling solution vs an H100? It seems so impractical. I'm only asking because I'm thinking of this as another alternative for a friend's build. Yes he will be overclocking.
  22. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    No chances of leaks, simpler, No chances the air cooler breaks (apart from fans), sometimes quieter, cheaper

Silver Arrow is an awesome air cooler. But say he was going for a milder overclock, a Hyper 212+ and a couple fans like CoolerMaster R4 LED fans make it look good enough, it's cheap, not too loud, and cools very well
  23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, the CNPS9900(MAX-B) is a really good cooler for the size. It's a little tall but it's narrow. Fit on my rig rather nicely while keeping room open for memory and other things and I can still overclock plenty well.
  24. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I don't like the zalman's looks lol
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Too bad, it's not bulky, it's quiet, and it cools pretty well on an over-clock if you have decent airflow in your case. If you like bulky, I have a Thermaltake Frio with two Sunon 150CFM fans on it for my Phenom II 940, that is a beast of a cooler. If you don't turn on DC fan control it seriously sounds like a 2U server at full fan speed.