1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the best PCI Card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Artic Foxin Dell, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Artic Foxin Dell

Artic Foxin Dell New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the best PCI Card avalible?
    That is under $200.
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    PCI card as in graphics card in PCI-e Interface? You need to be more specific because PCI can take network, ide, sata, graphics, sound, fan controller cards for a few examples...

If graphics wise, I'm pretty sure the x1950pro PCI-e is still best in the sub $200 dollar heap but I could be wrong.
  3. Artic Foxin Dell

Thanks Received:
    PCI NOT PCI-E
    Graphics Card.
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    PCI Card?? GPU/FAX-Modem/Pfysics/sound/Serial/LPT/USB/
  5. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um...what you have is like almost the BEST. There is an X1300PRO but its so bottlenecked that you wouldnt find any difference.

Why cant you get a new computer? Like keep the RAM, HDD, and thats it... It would actually be worth your money... the PCI X1300PROs cost as much as a C2D E2140...
  6. Artic Foxin Dell

Thanks Received:

Think about it... What section did I put it in lol
  7. Artic Foxin Dell

Thanks Received:
    I don't Have the money! Also I like my Dell. I am getting a Laptop Soon.
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Good luck on that one dude, I haven't even looked at PCI graphics cards since my old ATI Rage Pro 64 (If memory serves me correctly) back in the mid-late 90's...after that card I went to an AGP based system. I'd suggest upgrading to more modern equipment if I were you, that is if you're talking graphics.
  9. Artic Foxin Dell

Thanks Received:
    My System is only Almost 1 years old! Give it a break!
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading your system specs, how can you have a P4/DDR2 based system that doesn't have AGP or PCIe??? I think you need to recheck your motherboard slots and verify you know what you have.
  11. Artic Foxin Dell

Thanks Received:
    1 PCI-E-X1 NOT X16
    2 PCI Slots
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-e310-pentium/4505-3118_7-31594474.html

That's the review I found on your PC, I'd say you're SOL on a better PCI card, bummer they don't include an x16 PCI-e slot. But as they state, it's not meant for gaming.

I'd say sell that system and build your own...sorry dude, wish I had a better suggestion for you. But it looks like the card you have is about the best you're going to get, because graphics MFG's moved from PCI as a main bus for graphics a long time ago, and AGP is being phased out, and PCI-E is the new standard, with version 2.0 showing up as we speak. They don't release too many AGP cards anymore, and those usually require a "bridge" chip to make them work because they were designed for PCI-E.

Sorry dude, wish I had better news for ya...but your best bet if you want better 3D is a different system... :toast:
  13. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Then you bought a crappy pc a year back.
    You maybe like your pc, but others don't.
    You can expect answers like this if you post like this.
  14. Kasparz New Member

Thanks Received:
    HD2400Pro
  15. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    You like? You like giving away cash to some corporate exploits? Wow...

Just to let you know, dell makes a 400% overhead in money... yes.... they make that much profit. Last year your system costed like what-$500AUD <!!!
    Kursah says thanks.
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure the HD2400 Pro will be PCI-E, not PCI kasparz...check that review link I posted above, he has PCI-e 1x and PCI...that's it...
  17. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's a damn good point, and why I started building my own systems many years ago, plus I like electrical stuff to an extent, PC's are easy as hell to build, and I don't mind doing mods. But spending on a pre-built system is a crapshoot unless you spend a couple grand these days...My system cost roughly half that with cooling, case and PSU included...
  18. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed dell has gone from bad to worse... last year for their 3.399k system they offered a 7900GS, guess what this year the only thing that has improved is the stupid E6420... but the GPU demoted to an X1300pro..

Actin fox dell, you should really think about what you do... you are throwing your cash away all the times. Build your own system and you will be surprised how cheap it is, you have been sucked into their propaganda basically.. Frankly i am surprised that you even root for dell..
  19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    And didn't I just see an article that Dell is cutting 10% of it's staff but still made better than expected profits??? That's sure a company that deserves my money ROFL!!! Forget Dell, they're screwing people left and right because people won't learn about PC's...I guess it's just as much the people's fault for being ignorant also...

Well for some people I suppose it's just easier to spend money and not know what they're getting as long as it does something...I like to see what I can get out of my dollar on the other hand, and I research the hell out of what I'm going to be spending my money on.
  20. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161079 Best X1 PCI/e card I think you could get. Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161074 regular ole PCI. Either upgrade should help you chug along merrily. I understand the need to extend your system when on a lowbudget. It took about 2 years to basically get my Crossfire rig together, I couldn't do it all at once, and I still have room to upgrade. I believe getting the most performance out of any hardware and thats always kinda a fun challenge. No matter what you are probably looking at a $100 to $150 budget if you really want to upgrade. Otherwise I would say save for your laptop and get a desktop replacement with a Geforce 7600go or better or a X1600 integrated radeon board. You could also see if there are any FX5200s around they did a pci spec card, you are going to have bottleneck but thats ok, nothing you can do about it, except throw money at it.
  21. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Well the 2nd one needs Requires 450watt power supply;)

So I say the 1st one as someones review on newegg has the same comp I think
    "mr. cool
    Tech Level: somewhat high
    Ownership: 1 week to 1 month 4/11/2007 1:10:55 PM didn't fit.....at first

Pros: works great. runs battlefield 2142 on high settings on my Dell E310.

Cons: didn't fit in case. i had to take of the faceplate, and turn it around so that the side with the lip on it is facing inwords to fit. its kind of just chillin out right now on the pci e slot

Other Thoughts: dell E310 with 1GB of ram."

Or this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129062
  22. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dom, i wouldnt be realy trusting these guys who have "Somewhat high tech knowledge"... That GPU is so bogged down its SLOW. The GPU wont really run BF2142 on high settings... unless on 640x480...

Actin fox dell, sell ur PC to some idiot who doesnt know shit about PCs and get yourself a new PC... look like even at half the price you paid for the dell, you can get something like what I said earlier.
  23. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually had that X1300 for a while when I was waiting for my 8800 to come back off of RMA. I have some benchmarks somewhere in that fan suggestion megathread. It was more powerful than an FX5500...but that's all I can say for it.
  24. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    that x1550 on the 1x pci-e looks the best of a shite bunch, ANY pci card would be too bottlenecked by the pci bus to be any faster
  25. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    If u are going to be stubborn actin, then go for the X1550... I would sell ur PC and then get a new system.