1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what is the best series 8, socket 1150, ATX board out there

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by keakar, Mar 7, 2014.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    I have a Core i5-4670 haswell and i want to find a good board to go with it. I have a budget of $100-$150 and im looking for a reasonably priced board with four 240 pin ddr3 slots and 32 GB memory limit? it is better if it were under $100 and didn't have any or only have very limited overclocking features. I don't overclock or do raid so I don't want or need to be paying for fancy features I will never use.

im not looking for just the cheapest board out there but rather the most reasonably priced board with a good reputation for quality and reliability with great core components and features, also I am not too concerned about really high ram speeds so 1600 is all I need but faster is always better if its in my price range. so I guess you could say im looking for a good mid level board.

I am partial to asus or gigabyte brands (good history with them) and would prefer choices in those brands.

so to sum it up, a series 8 board (gigabyte or asus) and I want a full ATX board not micro atx

thank you for your help

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You may as well ask who makes the best chocolate. Or coffee. Do you have a particular use in mind? Is audio important? Once you eliminate OC'ing, you eliminate the Z87 boards and most of what is left are at $110 or less. Most are mATX as well. I don't understand your desire for an ATX motherboard. Try doing a search on NE for H87 and B85 motherboards.

keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    be better telling us your favourite colour and v max you want to spend.

i would say either mine, z87-oc or the newer atx sniper one which aint £500 but they are to my tastes.

as said most none clocking 1150 mobo are matx or smaller so if you have to have atx, z87 might be your only option?

keakar says thanks.
  4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok let me try to add more, this will be for light gaming with 5 year old games (nothing new) and online stuff, maybe a few downloads.

I have no clue what to look for, you guys told me z87 is for overclocking so I can scratch those.

I guess im asking what chipset under the z87 is going to give me somewhat of a sweet spot to find the best performance vs price, the B85's or the h87's.

would the h87 be the equivalent of a z87 but without the clocking features?

what chipset would you suggest for a guy who is going to take it out of the box and use it just like that, without any desire for overclocking anything?

I want to get a Motherboard, 2GB GTX video card, and 8GB (2x4GB) RAM all for $300 if possible.

for the the CPU I have already decided on the haswell i5 4670

5. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    H87 is basically X87 without OC'ing. If you want to learn more about the chipsets, I found this: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z87-H87-H81-Q87-Q85-B85-What-is-the-difference-473/

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper B5 LGA 1150 Intel B85 ????

mATX is no longer a negative. NE has this on sale now: GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H

marsey99 and keakar say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    thanks, that's the info I was looking for

you guys are great

that's why I love this place, there is always someone around who knows just about anything you have a question for

thebluebumblebee and marsey99 say thanks.
  7. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    nice 1 bbb :) that's the one i was thinking of :D

keakar says thanks.
  8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well I have big hands and fat fingers so I wanted more room, I have had micro boards and managed so its not that big a deal

I like that board and was just looking at it in the full ATX version for $11 more

one question guys,

I have a GTX 460 SE PCI Express 2.0 x16 video card that does a great job for my needs so do I have to buy a new video card for this board or is it as simple as just plugging it into the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot at the bottom of the MB?

9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I like my MSI-Z87-GD65

keakar says thanks.
  10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    The ATX version of the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H is the GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H. The ATX version has ULTRA DURABLE 5 PLUS where as the mATX version has ULTRA DURABLE 4 PLUS. That, the larger layout of the ATX motherboard and a couple of connectors will cost you $15. Have fun with that decision.:laugh:
    The choices that are available today are truly mind boggling. You have a Gigabyte "D3" motherboard, so a current "D3" will give you about the same functionality. Suggest you consider what connections you need or think you might need and make sure the motherboard has them.
    PCI-e is backwards compatible. No worries.

keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Since you have a non k chip, obviously overclocking is of no interest, so an H87 will be fine.

keakar says thanks.
  12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    oh I wasn't saying im set on the ATX, I was just saying how coincidental it was that I was reviewing the same board (at least I thought so) but in a different form. once the price difference goes past $5 I don't really care anymore and go with the savings.

that's great news about the video card so I don't have to buy a new one and I can keep it until it craps out on me.

just to be clear, you are saying to still use the PCI 3.0 x16 slot with the PCI 2.0 x16 card?

I understand the backwards compatibility of it but im trying to understand if its a positioning thing or will it not work alone in the secondary PCI 2.0 x16 slot of the new board?

is that secondary PCI 2.0 x16 slot only meant to be used for when you are doing sli video cards

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Use the top most PCIe x16 slot regardless. On chipsets other than z87 im pretty sure you cant do SLI or Crossfire.

keakar says thanks.
  14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Agree to the first part, but the bold part is not true. Even that B85 above will crossfire. Many H87's will SLI and crossfire.

keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    if you have 2 slots you can xfire, not all intel boards have official sli support but we have a thread on here which will help you out then :)

keakar says thanks.