1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the core voltage for the cpu

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ubuntusario, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I have this cpu AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz So...
    while on bios monitor it goes up to 51C then the screen goes blank ¿why?, I dont know if it's a bug in the bios or my cpu is overheating in any case I want to lower the voltage so it doesn't heat as much so I can lower the fan speed as well.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    it would really help if you would provide detailed system specs of this machine

to include:

Motherboard

Power Supply

Processor Cooling

Ram

Video Cards

HDD

Optical drives

also this topic relates to the original here

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173228

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173269

3. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    ok it's all on my Specs now, I want to run it the less noisy as possible without going less then 3.4 that is, if I can overclock it with stock cooler that'll be great. I heard 1.5 is the stock?

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok have you updated the BIOS/UEFI of the board, are you using the stock cooler?

Do you run AC inside of your house?

from CPU world it states for the 140W model 1.425 as normal operating volts

125W model is 1.4 V however there should be a plus or minus percentage.

AMD cool and quiet normally operates properly.

I personally feel if you are running stock cooling, its not mounted right if youre overheating.

If You intend on overclocking, Id recommend you dont overclock using the stock cooler. They are typically silent when the CPU is running at its stock speed, in your case it would be 3.4GHz. Id recommend a Cooler master Hyper 212, V6/V6GT, V8 Cooler.

Just remember airflow in a case needs to be good and strong and setup for a negative pressure inside.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    no I dont know what version the motherboard is on why does that matter is probably a good version, yes I'm using stock cooler, the third question is not a valid question for me as I want my computer to withstand hot roms like on the summer it gets hotter then is right now and I don't think it should crash because of it is not a good pc in my opinion.

I also want to know other configurations besides vcore like spread spectrum and nb voltage fsb of different kind, should it be set auto or manual?

yes is mounted right I just reapplied some thermal paste as5 and is running 3c cooler yet it gets to 51C on bios and then the screen goes blank.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I just updated my post below.

Well if youre going to overclock expect any fans you get to run harder to wisk heat away from the heatsink. Since The temps of the room will be hot during the summer.

Realize one thing computers are meant to have a cool source of ambient room temperature air, so that would put it below 80 degrees Fahrenheit for that.

7. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I've like to know the following is it necessary to set configuration manual or automatic?
    my cpu core voltage is at 1.55 according to the motherboard I have to set it lower but I can't without knowing the following:
    CPU VOLTAGE
    NB FREQUENCY MULTIPLIER
    CPU NB VOLTAGE
    HT BUS SPEED
    HT BUS WIDTH

any other tip will be appreciated.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Start with just changing your multipliers, you can adjust the clock down the road. So aim for this:

CPU VOLTAGE: ~1.425v
    NB FREQUENCY MULTIPLIER: 12-13 maybe? (You want to aim for 2500mhz to 2600mhz, but you have to test the stability on this one. Work your way up from stock. This will also change as you adjust the bus speed.)
    CPU NB VOLTAGE: +.1-+.2 volts over stock depending on your CPU temps and how your NB is overclocking.
    HT BUS SPEED: Keep this at around 2000mhz, it can go higher but this is only communication with the motherboard chipset. I don't see overclocking this as being incredibly helpful.
    HT BUS WIDTH: 16 I think is the widest it will go.

As far as the core multiplier, just work up and test. You should be able to do 200x18 (3.6ghz) fine with that processor at least, just work your way up from there.

9. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    are you sure my HT bus speed should be at 2000? the asrock website says it does 2400 stock.
    Also what is the CPU NB voltage stock? I have it at 1.1000 apparently that's the stock but I'm not sure.:banghead:

My computer just crashed to blue screen DAMN! what am I doing wrong?

also I notice when I change the NB frequency multiplier to 12 I can select 2400 on the HD bus speed am I safe going there?
    What does the 1333 from memory means in terms of nb or cpu frequency dont' they all have to run at the same fsb speed?

what should I put for the PCI-E frequency?
    my bios doesn't even show what vcore is currently running at! that 1.55 was the maximum vcore it supports I think not the vcore is running at.

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Ht link is 2000 for that chip the Nb is 2400. What cooler are using? Bits temps should be around 30-40C even with stock cooler.

11. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    HT bus speed you mean? what is HT link?

I believe I need to configure my ram first, what should I do?
    the load profile setting is confusing, I load the profile but the other configuration is still selectable, like I can select ddr3-1666 after selecting a ddr1333 profile. and I dont know all the configurations for the memory just the 7-7-7-21 and voltage.
    This is my mobo:
    ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AT...
    this is my ram:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Ram on auto will not cause the CPU to heat up to 51C in the bios. In fact neither will the NB or HT link speeds. Load factory defaults on the board and recheck your temps. If they are still high check and make sure the CPU fan is at full tilt. If it is check you TIM application it might be to thick.

13. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I think my vcore is too high but I can't check that yet as I have to enter manual settings and that's being real hard, I tried booting with auto options for the cpu / manual for the memory but that crashed my computer I dont know what to do, I select the profile for memory but it doesn't load all the options I need to know them manually and there is more then the cas ras and such.

14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can its under hardware monitoring in the bios.

15. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    the only thing that worked is auto for overclock mode auto for multiplier/voltage change and 2000 on HT that's it I'm gonna leave it. maybe in next version of bios I'll rethink my possibilities. But due to the noise I'm gonna have to get some silent solution. Unfortunately to me I'm a low budget.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    No the hwmonitor is on a differently page

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Vcore of the cpu isnt too high. The rig here uses about 1.5 here left on auto. It doesnt over heat. Ya know read the motherboard manual.

All i can say is if you cant figure out the problems yourself even after we have given all the info you need take the machine into a shop and spend money to fix it cuz we tryin to help but it seems youre not listening to anyone here.

If youre going to overclock at all you need an aftermarket Heatsink and a cool temperature room.

You first need to isolate why your having near overheating and then shut down. Where did you buy the parts from.

18. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, there are several things going on here... first, you need to maintain the lowest ambient temperature as possible in the room the computer is in. second, if you want to oc, you must add a proper cooler to your cpu, the stock cooler is for stock speed and voltage. third, if you want to oc, never use auto settings, learn your bios and make all settings manually. that way there is no room for error. get out your mobo manual and start reading!

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    51c is Fine most boards apply a fair bit of load to the cpu when in the bios(nobody really knows why they just do)
    #.no cpu should shutdown at 51c ( i have had Phenom II's well over 65c they don't throttle until 75c)
    I suspect the issue is your no-name brand psu (check the voltage on the +12v and +5V
    but here are some other things to check
    1. re check the ram timings and voltage and make sure there exactly the same as whats printed on the sticks
    2.don't go playing with overclocking until you get it stable
    3. core voltage can be any-ware from 1.35v-1450(I have yet to see a phenom II chip that needed more then 1.4250 at stock speeds in-fact most recent Phenom II chips can be under-volted )
    4.most bios's for one reason or another apply a good deal of load to the cpu bios temps are not relavent IGNORE THEM there absolutely meaningless
    SOME motherboards require BOTH 4PiN(aka 4x4PiN) Cpu power connectors to be connected for stability(eg boards with multiphase voltage regulators ) <make sure you have the right connector plugged in lol
    also lastly if you are using any of the crap software that came withe the board uninstall it xram in particular I have personally had it cause a multitude of issues
    AND AS A ABSOLUTELY LAST RESORT AFTER YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE YOU CAN TRY A BIOS UPDATE
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
    >points at the line that reads Modify SB CPU thermal throttling function and ponders ....
    BEWAR IF THE BIOS UPGRADE CRAPS OUT IT WILL BRICK THE BOARD!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    His board has the 8 pin EPS 12V connector, it's from the same brood as my brothers motherboard, however the machine is using a Antec Earthwatts Green 650 Watt PSU

21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    And never flash a bios from windows

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ya no kidding, Used to use a Floppy drive for that but now motherboards come with easy flash programs for USB drives, wheter being in the bios itself or pressing a key at the splash/post screen.

23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Unless it's Ecs...

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    eh you can still flash outside of windows afaik.

25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Not on the ones I have owned. Its honestly easier to flash the chip on another board then to deal with Ecs crap.