1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the point of high end graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Phusius, May 27, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have owned a 7970, 680, and just went down to a 6950 and flashed it to a 6970 and OC'ed it 900/1400. Tera, MW3, and a bunch of other games I play max out just fine still.

Not entirely sure, guess if I owned 3 monitors or something it would be worth it? I am not the kind of guy who cares about playing on max settings, so even games like Arkham City or BF3 I turn down to medium high settings really is not an issue...

Is there anyone else like me out there, or are most of you here "settings must always be on ultra"? Just curious where I fit in the PC gaming community.

P.S. I didn't lose any money on the 7970 or 680 reselling. :toast:
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    One word ultra
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you dont care about max settings, then you dont care about high end cards. simple.
  4. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will not even buy / play a video game unless I know that I WILL be able to play it with maxed out settings, maxed out AA, and the like at the highest resolution whatever monitor I use will offer.

I know that I should care more about the storyline and such, but I don't.
  5. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    the looks are an important part but there are lots of games that can look great but still suck. resolution rules as far as I am concerned. If you have a high end 27" or a 30" you will see the value of a high end graphics card
    Chewy says thanks.
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Usually the people that don't care about the highest settings are usually the people not keeping up with the latest games and hardware anyways, like they've got a bunch of kids or something. If you've got nothing like that and you just don't mind medium settings I'm not sure where you fit in. I mean if you aren't maxing then why not save a bunch of money and go console?
  7. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    but my point is that I am maxxing most games... Tera for instance looks beautiful and at 60+ fps constant. guess I just don't like all the demanding games like other people, Crysis and such never interested me.
  8. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    If one can not/does not care about Ultra settings then one might as well play a console...

...And yes I know my computer cannot do Ultra :cry:
  9. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Delta, you might want to start looking at consoles. If that is truly all you care about, consoles look better than your rig, no offense. So the fact is, you really do care about graphics, but it is not EVERYTHING.

Point proven, topic closed. xD
  10. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I do play Xbox 360 Only game is Forza 4, and for PC my only games are pCars and F1 2010 which I can do on high, but not Ultra :banghead:
  11. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    F1 2010, I might try that out, sounds like fun.

edit: 29.99 on steam, 49.99 for 2011 version... eww no thanks. maybe for 5 or 10 in the summer or winter sale
  12. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I'm playing most of my games on an HD6570 or HD7770, definitely not ultra but very playable. I leave the higher end cards for the guys with the big bucks...

LC
    Lionheart says thanks.
  13. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    To the OP honestly when it comes to games I would rather have a better game play then graphics like the old Mario day's.

Yea, its not worth that price i would wait for 2013 Should be much better.

I tole my self when I built my Comp back in super late 2008 that I would wait till the AMD 89*0 Series or Nvidia 7*0, I'm bassing my next build off when pCars comes out in 2013.
  14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You answered your own question with the parts I quoted. On the one hand, you CAN play some games maxed out still, but some don't want to have to go through what you did to do that with a lesser card, and that lesser card being stressed to the limit, still can't equal the cards you're comparing it to once THEY are OCed.

What really makes it obvious though is your not caring about max settings, and I agree in large part, because many games look fine, even better sometimes, without all the settings maxed. For instance I don't like the heavy blur of Very High in Metro 2033, makes the game look like crap. I also don't like the heavy haze that ambient occlusion adds in Crysis on High shaders.

The things you didn't mention however, like headroom, longevity and resale value, matter a lot to enthusiast gamers. Some get their high end cards at a pretty good price, but even if you pay full price, after a year or two of use, they're going to be a lot easier to sell and probably get a higher percentage of their original value when sold used than a midrange card would

Lastly, resolution, resolution, resolution. SO many players say X cards yield same frame rates when OCed, flashed, SLIed, Xfired, etc. However we are now in times of med range cards capped at 1GB VRAM, and high end cards with 2GB or more. It's all relative to what you use them for and what you expect the future will bring, in both game development and your own hardware choices.

It would be a lot easier and much less frustrating to choose GPUs if the model cycles were longer and more predictable. If there was always say 3 yrs in between high end GPUs, a lot of people would buy them knowing they'd get decent longevity out of them. Lately the smart bastards are staggering production cycles and changing up model numbers to the point that it's almost impossible to predict how powerful or how far away the next equivalent model replacement will come though.

I don't like that it took SO long for the 670 to come out, only for it to be WELL beyond my intended budget cap, esp now that Maxwell is only 2 yrs away. I can't see sense in spending more than $300, maybe $350 max, on a GPU I'll probably only have a couple years. That said, if the 660 takes too long or isn't as powerful as I'd like, I may get sucked into a 670 anyway.

So you see, you seem to view the problem as market hype, over-choice, needless decadence, etc, while I see it as being damn hard to time and match parts without lots of costly swap outs. We see the same problem in a different way.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
    Phusius says thanks.
  15. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    High end GPUs have their market, usually your monitor setup is what dictates what GPU you'd have to buy (resolution, number of monitors, etc.).

Then there's also the people that buys a high end GPU once and sticks with it for two or three years (I got almost 4 years out of my HD3850 AGP) and the guys that want to stay on the bleeding edge (more power to them though, if I had the means I guess I would do so too).
    Champ says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of high end graphics card? I don't know but if you haven't noticed the HD 6950 is still pretty high end and still can kick some ass. So I'm not sure where you're coming from on this topic.
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya He bought the 3rd fastest card of the Prev Gen which is a Top Tier Card so this topic is feeling a lil pointless at this point lol
  18. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I don't consider the 6950 flashed to 6970 high end really, not after owning a 7970 and 680. Anyways, I see your point. xD

Frag Maniac, your post really made a lot of sense to me, thanks mate. :respect:

:toast:
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I bought my 6950 2GB to last me along with the 2600K. 8 months later, I don't even feel the need to upgrade so I'll probably stick with this rig for another year or two. Previously had a PII 955BE and HD 5770 which I was starting to feel held back with.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Ultra for single play...Medium for Multi-play no matter WHAT Graphics (plural) cards I have.
  21. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    On my side i would consider my self a gamer, reason being i play games in all platforms, currently own a PS3, Nintendo Wii, PSP 2000, and a bunch of old consoles too Pocket Game Boy, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS1, PS2, Sega Mega Drive 1,2, the old consoles i do not use at all any more just stashed elsewhere. so i use mostly the first 3 plus my computer.

So thing is i play games based on storyline, game play, etc mostly i like third person games proper third person not some shitty third persons like resident Evil Operation Raccoon City with camera on strapped on one side of the screen this are not proper third person but coz I'm a gamer i played it anyway and this year I was not looking forward to play any particular game so this year I'm just playing what is there, I have my expectations for 2014 when probably a New Metal Gear Solid 5 will be released, till then just random play.

In regards to settings on PC, Ultra/Highest settings available in a game is how I play no less, I don't care much about super high frames those are for bench marks, To me anything between 24fps 30fps to 60fps is perfectly playable in ultra settings coz i realized it depends with how the game is made, most games that i play do not benefit from super high frames is what i noticed, with my current setup i haven experienced any lag in any game yet and Ultra is how i play in my PC
    Phusius says thanks.
  22. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Definitely!

Luckily I haven't caught up to today's games and my 6850 can Ultra games from a couple years ago ;)
    Phusius says thanks.
  23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i play on whatever gives me 45+ FPS. i prefer 60-90FPS (although i dont get much benefit from the 60-90 range, since i only have a 60Hz screen)

if and when that means i need to lower my resolution off native (1080p currently) then its time to get a better GPU.
    Phusius says thanks.
  24. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    These high end cards are really not worth while for resolutions lower than 2560x1440 on a single panel set up in my opinion. I've been gaming at that resolution since the U2711 launched and I play all my games on high detail. I will enable AA/AF or ultra settings if possible, but typically there is very little if any difference that I can notice between high and ultra in most games at such a high resolution. But yea, if I can still manage to keep above 60 fps I'll max everything.

About 2 months ago I added twin 17" widescreen wings to my 27" panel, so now I have a portrait-landscape-portrait triple panel setup for a total of 4360x1440 and in games that support it I span all 3 panels otherwise I keep my games on the center panel, chats on the right, and browser/workloads/monitoring on the left. So for me, having a high end GPU is a must, in fact having a higher end CPU and lots of ram is a must as I'm often ripping and encoding my bluray collection or editing other video, rendering, or compiling games software while I'm gaming.

So really, I don't NEED ultra settings to be happy, but at the same time I tell myself I have this great monitor set up, why not get the most out of it.
  25. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This is rediculous. Maybe because the games you want to play are on the PC and you find it a better experiance? And it's not like you're saving tons money by going console anyway as you need a TV + the games are more expensive.
    Phusius says thanks.