1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is with MW2's price?

Discussion in 'Games' started by digibucc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    what is with MW2's price? seriously.... looking on steam, BC2 , which sold great , is very popular, and just came out this past may, is $19.99.

MW2, which of course is huge - came out a year ago, and is still $59.99
    how can that be justified? I seriously don't see how that is in anyway, "ok"

sorry to create a complaint thread - but I had thought this was the case, just hadn't looked at the dates and prices. that is insanity...
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Ok, but if you are cunning, and like to trick the system you could go for this idea. It comes with a new GPU. :laugh:
    digibucc says thanks.
  3. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    your actually asking why activision are a set of money grabbing cooperate shitesters?
    1Kurgan1 and digibucc say thanks.
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    i wasnt suprised TBH, just grab it online somewhere else, someone will have it for plenty less
  5. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    You read my mind! Activision=evil
    It'll go down in price in another year... maybe. Of course the extras will still cost more, bringing the real price to... $59.99. :shadedshu
    digibucc says thanks.
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    COD is way overrated anyways:toast:
    TRIPTEX_CAN and digibucc say thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's Activision, the game has sold like crazy for console, and now they added in servers again, so they'll milk it till it's dry.
  8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah but how is that possibly good business sense? it is prohibitively expensive, especially considering 6 months later a newer version comes out at the same price!

so yeah looking around wal mart has it for 30, other places 40, best buy still 59.99 - i'm guessing that is the static msrp

i think they just can't do anything to stop hackers long run, so they just build a new game every few months :)
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Simple, MW2 is more popular, a lot more popular, and people will still pay that price.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    but i'm curious about that part, how many are still paying that price? it seems much more simple to me that if you lower your price a bit, more people will buy your product, resulting in more profit overall. i mean obviously there's a bit more to it than that - but come on!

i have a hard time believing the game still sells well at that price, especially after black ops is out.
    robn says thanks.
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you noticed, CoD4 MW was 49.99 for over 2 years, hell iirc it didn't drop on Steam until BC2 came out which would put it at about 2.5 years since release that it was full price. I know unless there was a sale, most places kept it at full price for a looooonnng time. MW2 seems to be following this trend..no surprise.

But with BC2 being $19.99, it's tough to recommend a $60, year-old game after playing and disliking (at least 'till it's patched) the sequel that's also the same price. Plus there's less keys to give out, less to sell if one person buys it at full price of $60 rather than three at $20...if there's a way they can get those 3 people to pay full price, $180 is of course a LOT better looking that $60, especially after everyone's cut is taken out. Just a shame really.

:toast:
    digibucc says thanks.
  12. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    Whats even worse is that in Ireland, MW2 on steam is €59.99.
    Valve still haven't figured out that 1€ is not equal to 1$. The game shouldn't cost that fucking much anyway, its not that good....
    digibucc says thanks.
  13. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    There's no explanation for this, only maybe that activision is an evil company wanting to bleed everything to the max and to their eyes, its ok since their games are rated 10/10 anyways, the best inventions since sliced bread. Its sad though, look at what they have done to guitar hero, it sickens people nowadays. I'ts gonna happen to people's beloved COD too, cause looking at Activision's plan, its obvious it'll go the same route.
    digibucc says thanks.
  14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Matters what market your talking here. Digi is looking on Steam, so thats for PC, and for PC, MW2 sold like crap compared to consoles, COD's target market is 360 owners, which it sells massively with. MW2 sold about dead even with BC2 on PC, even though BC2 overall sold millions less. Like most PC games, the price is adjusted on a completely different scale than the console version. Like BC2 is still $59.99 on console, yet $19.99 on PC. So keeping in mind he means the PC version, it really makes no sense, damn money grubbing companys.
    digibucc says thanks.
  15. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    Luckily for me, I don't like the Call of Duty series. I'd rather fly in a helicopter or take people down by way of tank. It's a lot more fun!
  16. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    It's worth max £20 to me... And so far I've been patient waiting for the day it happens.
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I agree on the part where illuminati is:p, I mean Activision is "EVIL":laugh::laugh::banghead:
    assaulter_99 says thanks.
  18. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to see Bobby six killer's eyes when he saw the first week's sales figures! :laugh:
  19. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I can't believe that the game is still at that price, it was a piece of crap and they still ask that much of the game.

For me who is in the UK the game costs the following with it's add-ons:

The Game - £39.99
    Stimulus Package - £10.99
    Resurgence Package - £10.99

Roughly the same as everyone else, except that it is more...
    digibucc says thanks.