1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Keyboard should i get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MxPhenom 216, Oct 11, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im thinking since i sold my Logitech G19 keyboard that i would ask for a new one for xmas. I want it to be a mechanical and I'm thinking about either a DAS Professional Mechanical or since i like backlit keyboards the Razor Blackwidow ultimate, but im not to sure i like the shinyness of the Blackwidow since it would be a finger print magnet

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
  3. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    i want mechanical. Thats why i got rid of the G19. typing on rubber dome keyboards is like typing in mud

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. mad1394

mad1394

Thanks Received:
    http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2

Cherry Black switches. They require more actuation force but they lack the "click" of a blue switch, so they're decent for gaming I hear.
    Only thing I don't understand about this keyboard is why it doesn't come with a wrist rest.

5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    • MX Blues - Tactile, clicky and require more force
    • MX Browns - Tactile, non clicky and require slightly less force
    • MX Blacks - Non Tactile, non clicky and require slightly more force
    Less common switches are
    • MX Reds - Same as Blacks but very light to press
    • MX Clears - Stiffer Browns
    • Old buckling springs - Have actual springs that literally buckle and hit the key cap, there are IBM model M copies that use this.
    • Alps switches - these are shit imo.

Tactile means you can feel a bump at the actuation point so you know when a key press has registered.
    Non tactile has no bump just presses straight down till it bottoms out.
    Bottoming out is when a key literally hits the bottom of the keyboard.
    MX Browns should only make a bottoming out sound but you can learn to type without bottoming out making it silent.
    Blues make a clicky sound which may put off some people.
    Blacks will always bottom out like a regular rubber dome key.

As a first try the MX Browns are a good medium if you like to type and game. MX Blacks are mainly for gaming because the force is slightly more they can fatigue typists easier. MX Blues are most like a regular keyboard in force but have an audible click and tactile feedback, not great for gaming because double tapping is slightly more annoying and click every time you press.

• Filco Majestouch are a pretty plain keyboard you can get them in Blue, Black or Brown switches. There are even Tenkeyless versions without the num pads.
    • Steelseries use MX Blacks and have some macro keys such as basic media keys. Easily available.
    • Thermaltake Meka G1 is a like a copy of the Steelseries G6 looks the same and uses MX Blacks.
    • I personally use a Zowie Celeritas as it has a slightly different tapered bottom and uses MX Browns, has some basic media function keys and a RTR function; good MX Brown boards where hard to find in UK ISO layout.
    • Ducky is a nice expensive board with Blues or Browns OCN have a branded version that is popular.
    • Deck Legend uses MX Clears expensive board but nice with its nice shaped keys and backlight.
    • Das Keyboards are nice but glossy, they use Blues or Browns (browns are ANSI layout only i think); there is also a version without any characters printed on the keys so its a totally blank keyboard.
    • Unicomp make copies of the IBM model M buckling spring keyboard.

Be aware that using PS/2 makes the keyboards have full n-key roll over so you can press as many keys at once and they will all register as a key press, USB limits this and can onyl register a certain number of key presses. Impress that old tech outdoes the newer USB connection.

EDIT: I would say find a key switch type you like and then you can narrow it down because not all boards come in different switch types. Also depends on how much you want to spend.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    Hayder_Master says thanks.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
  7. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Melvis says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea all the reviews ive seen so far they rate it realy good, and seem to like it, just doesn't have Macro keys if ya into that?

9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    What price is it, i read a few saying it costs the same as a Deck which is ridiculously expensive.

One tip is avoid the Razor Blackwidow, it has MX Blues and lots of crap like backlighting but the build quality is questionable.

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    the Xamor is $90 on amazon. Which is a price i actually really really like

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I think i want the MX Brown keys. i hear they are better for gaming

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's with the weird layout on the SteelSeries? The Enter key is all goofy. :wtf:

I've always wanted a Das but for the price I think it's reasonable to expect backlighting.

Just my two cents . . .

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    find the ones with the Cherry Mechanical or Dome Switches, they are top notch

16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    i need to figure out if i want keyboard or speakers for xmas. I have a logitech z2300 speakers and a normal Dell keyboard. I want either M Audio Av40 speakers or DAS Cherry MX brown keyboard. I got to decide on one!

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

it's very useful answer from you dude, you got my thanks
    i am was thinking for a thread like this one, thanks mate for this thread, sorry i am not trying to hack your thread, but i was thinking in same thing.

But i just want to see if there is an MX black keyboard but with extra features, i see steelseries it's don't have features like rezor, mean backlight or other things, did i find something what i point for.

And what you think about gigabyte, i guess it's mx brown but looks cool?

19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Well Cherry MX Black switches are the best for gaming as they are non linear but are not that great for typing, you can type on them its just not the preferred option. Cherry MX Browns are good for typing and gaming.

Yes the Das keyboards all have a slight gloss finish to them, not on the keys just the board itself.

There is that Xarmor U9 with Cherry MX Brown Switches for $79.99
    QUMAX Xarmor U9 USB or PS/2 Wired Standard Mechani...

Personally i think that Das is better than Filco boards. Filco make some decent quality boards but they are plain no frills.

EDIT: Good luck finding the Gigabyte GK-K8000 its hard to find. I havnt heard much about its construction quality either.

Hayder_Master says thanks.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Blackwidow ultimate is a great keyboard but it does have it's flaws like the one you said shinny which is nasty but there is some thing i find worse with it is that it don't light up the symbols and the symbols are done in a stupid grey colour. Sure is that it symbols but it would of been totally sweet if they did glow like the rest of the keys or at least were printed white.

How ever the keyboard has been a savoir in those games were you cannot get the key setup as you want it. As i am left handed it helped a load with even good games like The Witcher 2.

Right handed people have issue's with the spacebar\alt and caps. Were the alt key spacebar can interfere with each other and catch on each other. And with the caps lock you tend to hit it when pressing a some times as most people are used to it having a groove in it so it don't happen..

Even with these issue's it's been sweet to use even more so in games. I know i would not of been happy with the Deck which i believe it don't have programmable keys.

I have the ultimate one and whats wrong with MX blues ?. Only time i have had a issue with back lighting is when the bios ( S1\S3 options ) is not set right and the computer keeps feeding power to it so the lights stay on.

21. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I personally wouldn't use Cherry MX Blues for gaming, you can do it but its not ideal.

Deck Legends are absolute quality keyboards but are pretty basic and pricey. Its a shame most of the inferior quality boards offer more of the flashy stuff. Same with the Das keyboards really nice to use but basic as far as features go.

The Razor board, some of the keys interfere with each other like the spacebar, the spacebar has shit stabilizers, dont know if its the same now but the they had a shitty OEM, problems with firmware, keycap quality could be better, the fact its glossy and made by razer, looks plasticy, strange font on the keys, keys are looser, on the right hand side they decided to put the usb and audio ports problem is most people have their mice on that side of the desk, MX Blues should be marketed for gaming they are not gaming keys sure you can use them for that and its okay but its not ideal like MX Blacks are but then thats like saying you can type on Blacks but they arnt better.

The reason Cherry MX Blues are not ideal for gaming is because of the actuation point. The actuation and release point can throw people off when gaming, MX blues are bouncier than say Browns. "Some don't like the fact that the release point is above the actuation point. This can cause some trouble with double-tapping."
    http://park16.wakwak.com/~ex4/kb/tech/cherry_mx_click.swf

23. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    might aswell pick up an IBM Model M keyboard then lol

25. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received: