• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What kind of cable do I need?

Processor i5 750
Motherboard EVGA P55 Sli Micro
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Memory G. Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Msi GTX 465 Golden (flashed to 470)
Storage OCZ 60GB agility
Display(s) Sony SDM-HS95P
Case just sitting ontop of my mobo box
Power Supply Corsair HX 650
Software Windows 7 x64
Decided to forgo powerline networking. Now my plan is to go from modem to wifi router to switch. (all hardwired)
what kind of cable do I need for connecting my wifi router to my switch? regular straight through cable? a crossover cable? or maybe something else?
I am guessing I just need a regular straight through cable for connecting my computer to the switch?

Wifi router model: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Switch model: TRENDnet TEG-S80G

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
straight thru will work.

cross-over is nearly obsolete as a lot of network cards / ports these days have auto sense to workout weather it needs to cross the cables or not.

cross over cables (from my limited understanding) was to connect same/like devices together. such as router to router or PC to PC... switch to switch?

Processor i5 750
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Storage OCZ 60GB agility
Software Windows 7 x64
"cross over cables (from my limited understanding) was to connect same/like devices together. such as router to router or PC to PC... switch to switch?"

That's what I read from my research too. upon further reading, it looks like the switch needs to have an "uplink" port, looking at the specs of the switch I ordered, it is an Unmanaged switch. I wasn't sure if I needed a crossover cable or not. Thanks a lot :toast:

eightclicknine

straight thru will work.

cross-over is nearly obsolete as a lot of network cards / ports these days have auto sense to workout weather it needs to cross the cables or not.

cross over cables (from my limited understanding) was to connect same/like devices together. such as router to router or PC to PC... switch to switch?

^^^ This, cross-over cables were used connect switch to switch for jumping. I've used a few of these setups. Modern switches are smart enough to know what to do when a regular straight through cable is inserted. How do you like this switch so far? It looks like a good price.

Processor i5 750
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Storage OCZ 60GB agility
Software Windows 7 x64
I had just ordered it, just shipped this morning.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
This topic has to do with the OSI Model.

You are dealing with the 3 bottom most layers. Network, Data Link, and Physical.

Routing is done at Layer 3. (IP addressing)
Switching is done at Layer 2 (Mac Addresses, ARP, Etc.)
Cables fall under layer 1. (Fiber, Copper, NIC)

Cross-over cables are used for same layer transfer. (e.g. Layer 2 - Layer 2 and Layer 3 - Layer 3)

Straight through cables are used for different layer transfer(one of many uses) (e.g. Layer 2 to Layer 3)

Auto sensing ports (where available) make life a little easier by doing away with the guess work and layer thinking. I work on a network backbone, so we try not to rely on auto sensing ports to much (its just something else to fail).

eightclicknine

This topic has to do with the OSI Model.

You are dealing with the 3 bottom most layers. Network, Data Link, and Physical.

Routing is done at Layer 3. (IP addressing)
Switching is done at Layer 2 (Mac Addresses, ARP, Etc.)
Cables fall under layer 1. (Fiber, Copper, NIC)

Cross-over cables are used for same layer transfer. (e.g. Layer 2 - Layer 2 and Layer 3 - Layer 3)

Straight through cables are used for different layer transfer(one of many uses) (e.g. Layer 2 to Layer 3)

Auto sensing ports (where available) make life a little easier by doing away with the guess work and layer thinking. I work on a network backbone, so we try not to rely on auto sensing ports to much (its just something else to fail).

Havent seen the OSI since college, very good explanation though.