1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What made you get into Pc life?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lnd2288, Feb 10, 2011.

1. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically wanted ppl to share there love passion and story in how they ended up loving in building pc gaming and etc?

My story began basically when I was 14 had I think a pentium 4 or less and just use too use kazaa for downloading. Pc was really slow had 512ram and about 40gb hard drive. Through the month I felt like downloading movies and music was the best thing on a pc. I felt like an upgrade would bring more too life with a lil faster ram and bigger hard drive space for more storage. never new I would now spend quite a lot of money years and years to come for gaming. I think my first game on a pc was age of empire. From there on there is nothing like gaming and building a gaming pc. What's your story ? Something I had in mind that water to share with TPU....

{another things it surprises me a lot when i see my friends parents still having windows NT/98 asking me "hey i know your good at computers is there a way to make my pc faster with out scarifying my current PC" i think to myself WOW when will they upgrade.}

(thanx for everyone participating in this thread.great stories keep em coming)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    Lionheart and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    i started playing CCS on my Dell Dimension desktop with a p4 CPU and FX5500 GPU and then started talking to people on there and this one guy stepped up and added me on steam and taught me the basics for like the first month then helped me piece together a rig and it all started from there when i was like 13 or 14, can't remember

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I had my first PC when I was 8. Had a K6-II 400MHz, 16MB onboard graphics, 64MB RAM and a 4GB hard drive. Since then I've always had one, always upgrading. I've always been interested in gaming... that's primarially what I use it for, as well as storing anime and whatnot. I have more PCs now than I normally would due to WCG/FAH.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool. Lol back then I never new you can add video cards I had for a couple of months on board video card I think was Intel video something . Crazy how just a couple of years how things are so advance

5. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ug

Wow.

6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    when i was like 5-8 years old my older sisters loved sims so we had sims 1 and 2 on this P4 rig which i still have and its my backup but it didnt have the FX5500 it had onboard and sims ran like crap lol!

7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I've always been messing with computers as a little kid. Breaking a few then learning to fix them :)

But the story that got me into the hardware aspect of it is... (Sumed Up)

Saw my Cuz play Morrowind on Xbox went out to get it, only found the PC version and played the amazing game Morrowind (and learned about mods from it) on PC.

Then since it was so great got Oblivion, needed new hardware learned about Graphics Cards, got my first X1300, installed it and played Oblivion :)

Then wanting to increase my FPS googled "How to have a faster PC" or something along those lines. Learned about Overclocking Software and Hardware. Since I had an OEM PC (HP) found out about a program called Systool on this site called TPU. At first I had no intention of joining TPU or knew how great it was but since I has some trouble with Systool joined to get help with it.

In the end I expanded my knowledge and met awesome people from here on TPU, all thanks to Morrowind and Systool :toast:

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i learned to read from watching dad use DOS.

by the time i was 8 i was helping him repair computers, and by 10 i could do assembly and OS install unsupervised.

first PC i ever built myself was a pentium 90 with 16MB of EDO ram and a 4.3GB quantum fireball (and scarily, i still have that CPU, ram and HDD still around somewhere as spare parts, in working order)

9. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    5 years old, I started to play NES and also uses my uncle's computer. Pentium II 400 MHz, 64Mb Ram, 15 inch CRT ...
    At that time I learned how to type in MS Word 97, and messing up Turbo Pascal.
    Long after (maybe 6 years later), I accidentally bought a magazine about computer (instead of video games one). I started reading, but don't quite understand about that. At that time NVIDIA SLI was introduced with the GeForce 6 Series GPUs, and I really love an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4 GHz Socket 939. It really takes a lot of time to understand that. So it quickly becomes my major interest.
    Playing a lot of video games also is a reason why brings me to the PC life. I always want to have a powerful PC and notebook to play any games I like (unfortunately I can't), and also up-to-date my own rig. Keep updating each single movement of the PC life is now something quite essential to me, it has become a part of my personal life.

10. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't it obvious? I got into it for the chicks.:p

I also got into it to seduce TheMailMan78. :laugh:

In all seriousness my love for computers started the minute I realized, "If you're afraid to break it, you'll never learn anything." That's been my life's motto.

I still have one or two of those as well. Back when HDDs didn't have LBA, MTBF was measured in minutes, and they had really manly names. Honestly, who's afraid of a "WD Caviar" :wtf:. . .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    For reference, I think that was Christmas in 2000 when I got that...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I learned most of my teenage years from making mistake and incompatible hardware when buying at tiger direct . I think I had the most returns ever in that store . I remember the tech guys told me " in order to play better fps you need to upgrade video card " that time I had a agp motherboard n had no clue what that meant at the time and went along and bought a pci video card.. Lol those times I was really clueless

13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    Everquest is what got me into computers, ruins of kunark xpac to be specific. a friend of mine had the game and was hooked. I decided i wanted to play so i started doing the research and had some(a lot) of help from my friends, and i built my first pc. From then on.. all i ever wanted to do was play with a pc, it went from gaming to building to tinkering, more building, breaking the 6ghz barrier on my 1090t recently. It's a hobby that consistantly evolves with the person who enjoys it, every year i get bored with my setup and i get a new one and change thigns and the cycle goes on.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  14. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:

Damn CRT old school. I remember those tanks sitting on my desk 640 resolution horrible

Faith[ROG].Anarchy says thanks.
  15. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    640 x 480. And Windows 95 :banghead: You know :D

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you had high end. i ran some DOS based OS which was really nothing more than a GUI with shortcuts and a mouse cursor at 320x240

17. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    @Muss: Forgot to told the time, 1998. What about u ?

18. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you its pretty hard not to upgrade years to come when products are advanced they are even tho we know it is still future proof. For example I can't wait to upgrade 5970 to and 6990

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that would involve math, of which i am not fond. also involve revealing my age, which is not allowed! :D

20. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    Ok :D ! No problem man. :D

21. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My favorite of all time for strategy was command and conquer 2/zero hour with it many mods they had .

22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    what did you do with the computer. you didnt have internet right??

23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    First computer I had was 13 years old (I'm 21 now turning 22). It was a Pentium II and had integrated graphics and 64mb of ram. It was a damn dated piece of crap but it ran Diablo 2 fairly well and that kept me entertained for a while.

When I was 14 I received my first real system for my birthday! I had Doom 3 pre-installed on the system too!

Specs were:
    P4 3.0ghz
    512mb ram
    Integrated GPU

So, see the problem with the picture? The damn thing couldn't run Doom 3 properly because it had an integrated gpu which then got me to invest pocket money on my first ever GPU the ATI 9550 128mb! Thats when I first started tinkering with a rig.

Being in the high school years I spent alot of time screwing around in my teenage years so I didn't really pay attention to my PC as much until I met my girlfriend. When I finally settled down I found my true interests, my true PC life began end of 2007 up to present day.

24. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AOL was top notch back then remembering when few of my friends had DSL I was like wow.

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    we had a really pain in the ass dial up system to get online, but mostly i used it for DOS games. the old puzzle adventure kind, like the original prince of persia game.