1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What made you get into Pc life?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lnd2288, Feb 10, 2011.

1. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Word processing, games in Qbasic, Leisure Suit Larry for pron.

I should know, I'm apparently older than Mussels... :laugh:

2. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    pentium 75, 16 megs of ram, 1 GB harddrive, come at me bro

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhh, good old leisure suit larry! before they added mouse support and it got easy.

i had no idea what spanish fly was back then, so i got stuck not far off finishing the game :( stupid puzzles before google.

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  4. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    Got my first pc somewhat recently ago when i was in year 7. It was all strange to me, because it was custom built and i only knew of machines that were built by dell, acer, hp etc. so i started taking off the case panels and just examining the insides of the machine, visiting websites that sold computer gear and yeah, i have been stuck into the pc world ever since :)

5. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice

6. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use to think a custom pc was just adding fancy accessories to the case lol.(fans/leds/etc)

7. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had grown up in the Gameboy era with a amega 32,Nintendo 64 and dreamcast. Oh those where the days.
    The first console that was properly mine (not my das) was the original Playsation
    Which my dad had chiped to play downloaded games. I played hundreds of games doing everything on them cause i'm a perfectionist.
    I also still have the orginal Playsation 2 10 years old and still working perfectly :D
    I had my first laptop when i was 10 i saved up for ages. But i had always been allowed to play on my dads thats when i thought i need my own.
    My dad used to play alot of CCS and half life,Doom
    i used to watch him in awe :) Its all his fault i play so many games
    Then i started playing games at my private school
    And we did tornaments for money on CCS, Unreal Tornament and of course Age of empires which soon moved on to Rise of Nations
    The first game i played on PC i think it was Doom or Doom 2? Not sure could be something else
    From there i just got better and better at games and just wanted more with better graphics and faster processors
    I have always found computers interesting and still do to some extent.

8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Team Fortress for Quakeworld. I wanted a voodoo card so I could run OpenGL and a cable modem so I could have a lower ping. I think my brother had a 486DX or something so I built a new 486.

9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    you mean besides the fact that computers are everywhere and pretty much everyone in a civilized area uses one?

:)

But i dunno, i think I was jus bored and tired of using the ghetto emachines

10. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I got into my computers at around 6 years old, when my dad bought us a 386, with windows 3.11. Played alot of games on it like wing commander, hocus pocus, prince of persia, red cat, and must've been like a hundred more.
    I got my mom to take me to some book store at the weekend so i could buy a floppy diskette with 3 shareware games on it; thats how i got my first commander keen(which was extremely awesome).

Then in 2000 my dad bought a new PC, a Pentium II-MMX 400Mhz, with windows 98, and a voodoo2 graphics card. Man! that thing was awesome!(for me, at that time :p)

After that he bought us a pentium 4 2Ghz, but with 256 RAM and a Geforce II something that was a load of crap. Me and my brother decided it really needed upgrading(we started to get interested in the newest and high end games), so we upgraded to 1GB ram, and a radeon 9600Pro. We played a hell of a lot morrowind on that on a huge ass 19" 1600x1200 CRT.

After that i got to buy my own stuff, and first bought a cheapass medion laptop, and after that a custom specced one. Currently I'm planning on buying a pc for myself this spring/summer.(My first real system, yay)

The reason i got into PC life, apart from the games and the fun, is simply because noone else in my family was, and i just started troubleshooting things for everyone and learned more and more^^. These days that means alot of calls from family or friends when they got a computer related issue, and building alot of new systems for friends, to keep their cost down, and to meet their needs as best as possible

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  11. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    First started computing with a commodore64 when I was 4. Played frogger, asteroids, and altered beast mainly. When I was much older I started my internet life with a new 300mhz Mac with a motorola processor when they came out. First had 14k modem them later a 44k I think. The best one it had was a 56k US robotics modem when they hit the scene with affordable prices. Remember when photos loaded in like one minute on web pages. :laugh:

12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Ive had a computer since as far back as I remember but my first gaming computer was an Atari because you could plug the Atari games in it...Other than That my next gaming rig was 386sx 33mhz with turbo and 4mb of memory an external cd-rom with Sound Blaster pro...I remember many of nights wasted on Wing Commander 1,2, Privateer 1,2, Chuck Yeager Air Combat....I miss DOS 5.0 and Win 3.1.....I liked tweaking the autoexe.bat files and whatnot to get enough memory to do this than have to switch it back to load windows LOL

13. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to get better graphics on a flightsim I was playing. Then while upgrading my Video card I shorted out the Motherboard. So I had a choice pay someone a fortune to fix it for me.... or do it myself. I chose do it myself.... and have been upgrading and building ever since!

14. Bot

Bot

Thanks Received:
    lol ppl get hooked early
    me too, i was 7 when we got a commodore vc20 in 1982 and upgraded to a c64 in 83ish, 84 maybe.
    it was bit's and bytes ever since.

15. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone :) Mine was a later in life obsession....I Used to work on cars soup them up, show them and race them. I went from that.... Modding cars to this. Actually not as far as a jump as one would think. I started @ 21 I am 29 now.

16. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    haha, bold memories.
    I actually started with computers at work in the late 80's when there were no graphics at all, just Asci text!
    [​IMG]
    Then in 92-93 I got my first pc at home, a pentium, a clone with a chaintech (sp?) mobo. Windows 3.1 was installed with dozens of floppies!
    [​IMG]
    I passed hours and hours, checking every single windows OS file, just out of curiosity.... :)

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  17. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol Damn. I remeber playing that game a lot . I Think that pc was top notch at best buy.lol

18. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Chiquito de la Calzada

19. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    My first real game I played was Battlefield 2 around when it came out 2005-2006? (I would've been 12-13 years old), but I did also play AoE and some online games before getting into serious FPS gaming, I used to have to go to internet cafes to play BF2 and I got my first PC because of my love of that game... 3 years ago was when I wanted my own PC instead of parents junk and they couldn't see why i wanted to upgrade on an already functioning PC, they didn't understand games had requirements. I was using P4 and ATI 9200 pro which was very old at the time couldn't play BF2 at a decent speed on low so I upgraded.

First rig, from the store I did work exp at, and where I learned to build a PC
    Q6600
    ASUS EAH 3870 512mb
    4GB 667mz ram
    EP35-UD3? I think
    320gb of storage
    generic case

I love PCs because of its amazing ability to bring a whole different world to you when the real world isn't so great and by "isn't so great" I mean bullying, I was severely bullied through-out primary school and a little in high school, before you poke fun at me, I was 8 years old when I had my first suicidal thoughts, get the picture? Keep your mouth shut.

So yeah I'm kind of happy I found computers, and as most of you know kids that are bullied like myself do choose to be alone, and usually find computers as a safe haven when they are bullied or have trouble fitting in like I did.

So I'm a late starter but I must saying I love modding my case and making it look neat and colorful as well as performance.

Hope you're all in tears over my life story! Jesus I wrote a lot. SPELL CHECK!

EDIT: I remember using Windows 1997 on my families first PC ever. My parents still have the PC and I think it still works if I plug the insides back together. I took the cables out when I was learning about PC's and how to build them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  20. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Actually, boredom.
    I was one of the n00bs who thought a P4 with 3600MHz would be the fastest there is, needless to say I was oblivious to dual cores and such.

Then I saw on TV something about case modding. Bored at work, I searched for case modding galleries, and well, TPU popped up. I lurked around a bit, just looking at the gallery.

Then my uber fast supercomputer went downhill, I went to the TPU forums and immediately was sucked in. Also there was need for a new PC and the TPU crowd encouraged me to try build one myself.

A story of joy, more knowledge and less money began :D

21. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Ive always been interested in PCs as long as i can remember. Pretty sure it started after the NES came out, I was entranced by GFX and wahtnot. 1st PC i remember using was a Tandy 1000 ( not incl the Commodore PETs at school) w/ a CRT that did like 10 shades of green. After that i was homeless from 94-00 so i didnt get to see PCs much. When i did tuen my life around, I got right back into PCs.

1st PC i ever built was a Celeron D 320 @2.4ghz, 2 gigs DDR ram, ATI 9250 SE, and a 80GB IDE drive. Shortly after I built it, i was looking into o/c ing stuff and I came upon this site. This site has def helped broaden my interest in not just PCs but all kinds of electronics. TPU def helped in the building of my 2 current rigs and will continue to help into the future.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    OMG I just remembered I had a SNES as my first console then a PS1, I can vaguely remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on a SEGA console too...

23. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Some of us can go back further than that :D My 1st console was an Intellivison, then Intellivison 2, Colecovison, and finally NES

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Curse you older people

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  25. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    My brothers had an Amstrad CPC464 the younger siblings played games on. Games on tape deck, Good times. :)

Then my dad got a Intel 286 computer and while there were no games on it I was attracted to it.. I mostly wrote short stories on it. We had some computers at school as well, and me and a friend made an RPG in Qbasic. I came up with the ideas and he did the coding.

Then dad got a Pentium 133 Mhz (from Olivetti) computer with Windows 95 and then gaming came along. A bit at least. I also had a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) then. Some time later my sister and her husband started what would become Sweden's fifth largest ISP until it all went to heck in like 1996. Computers computers. After that they moved to my home village (small place with like 70 people in it or so) and had computer classes. So I had access to a room with 16 Pentium II machines with kickass 17 inch monitors. We played tons of games then and around that time I got into tinkering with the hardware. I've always been interested in tinkering with things though but now I did it a lot.

Then that thing ended and ever since I've been a hardware hoarder.