1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What made you get into Pc life?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lnd2288, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Gaming. I grew up in the 80s with computers and had an Apple IIe (Bards Tale! Summer Games! Wooooo) but never got heavily into this until PC gaming got really good in the late 90s. And that lead me to building and overclocking and such.

2. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    A buddy of mine got me into computer gaming with the original Day of Defeat and Counter Strike. I never really knew much about computer until then I got very interested. I've Been stuck ever since lol.

3. twilyth Guest

I started with fortran in HS and hated it. Eventually ended up working for a bank. I spent most of my time writing programs for the HP12C calculator to help other analysts.

Then I got a timex sinclair computer since it was the cheapest thing on the market at the time. Wrote a few programs for the bank (since the IT dept couldn't figure some of our shit out) that were eventually translated into COBOL (not by me). Moved into the IT dept and got to play with brand new IBM AT's (oooooooo, aaaahhhhhh - 8MHz of computing power).

Finally people started making XT clones and I got one of those. Had a big old Seagate 20MB HDD and 640k of memory. My life has been hell ever since. {and yes, I'm an old fart}

4. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me and my friends in Jr. High really started getting into PC gaming in the Quake, Counter-Strike Era. Took a LONG break playing xbox 360 and recently decided to get back into. Hardware in general is just really interesting to me. I'm always finding new ways to spend my hard earned cash. lol.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  6. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I was fed up for having to pay so much for repairing PCs, so I learned how to assemble/disassemble a computer and now I can't do it fine,

My first PC dated from 1999 and was branded one, very expensive and we used it until 2006 until I could buy a PC in pieces and choose those that meet our needs without being expensive or very weak one.

Also in my experience it's cheaper and/or more powerful and/or better quality to buy the components and assemble together than buying a branded PC like Dell, compaq, HP...

7. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    In '98 I bought a Gateway P2 based computer, what a POS, I called it the Gateway to hell. It did have a nice 3yr warranty on it though. Gateway's support walked me through on how to trouble shoot the computer & they would send out a part & instruct me on how to swap it out. After the warranty lapsed I decided to build my own. I bought the best quality parts after much research and had settled on an AMD XP1800+ with an Asus mb (I don't remember all of the model numbers). I was ecstatic with my new high quality performance beast & I've been hooked since.

8. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes, Descent.....I hated that game. Never could figure out where I was going or what I was suppose to do. :mad:

I told a coworker (who just graduated high school a year ago) about when Duke Nukem came out how it was the shit. He looked up a video of it and commented on how crappy the graphics was. I was like sure, but it was the shit back then. :laugh:

FF also sucks because I had to add Nukem to spell check. What kind of fail browser (spell check) doesn't know what or who Nukem of Duke is?! :D

Btw, they need to bring this game back. :rockout:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Descent use to make me dizzy and sick to my stomach. I remember it was on 4 3.5 diskettes

mastrdrver says thanks.
  10. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    In 2003 I found a perfectly good Pentium 4 machine in the trash... lol

I was into them before that but when I found that computer, my computer passion really took off.

11. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    my older sister, since she enrolled as a computer science student before the 21st century, she needs to have a PC for that, got really interested and i thought of fiddling with it.
    Today she is still a pc person, and she requested me to quote and assemble her a computer last year: I got her an Intel Core i5 760 with DeepCool Ice Edge 400 FS cooler, MSi H55-E33 board,Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual channel ram, AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA drives, OCZ Mod X Stream Pro 700W Modular, Thermaltake V4 Chassis, Samsung PX2370 23" LED, Logitech M520 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse... yeah, her system is more superior than mine hehe, and oh shes currently Playing Sims 3, Portal and Diablo 2 :eek: .
    [​IMG]