1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What motherboard should I buy?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by OrbitzXT, Apr 29, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be building a new system soon, very similar to the one in my system specs which I'm selling but I'd like to make a few small alterations. I'd like something that can overclock very well, I will probably be buying an E6600 now that the price has dropped, maybe even a E6700. The Gigabyte DS3 I have now is very nice for overclocking, but it only has 2x SATA RAID ports. Are there any motherboards good with overclocking that has maybe 3 or 4 RAID? I'll probably use 3 drives, 4 doesn't seem worth the risk of a drive dieing.
  2. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    DS4 rev 3.3 and DQ6 are very nice Mobos.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    How about an ASUS P5B-Deluxe? They clock like a mofo, and have all the features you're after.
  4. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah 6 (actually i think theres 8 sata ports :ohwell:)
    6 ports together and i know ive seen at least one more somewhere else randomly on the board lol...
  5. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep. 7...heres a pic just in case you wanted to see the sata.
    The one on its own said SATA Raid next to it.
    Does that mean you can have 7 drives in raid?

Or just one, and another plugged into the SATA Raid port?
    hmmmmmmm

Attached Files:

6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing that the black ones can be used for Raid, and the red ones can't...but until I see a manual I can't say more than that. Normally if you look on the website of the board makers they have the manual in pdf form.
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Red ones should be for the Intel ICH8R Raid, and the Black ones should be the Jmicron RAID. Avoid the black ones. lol

EDIT: Hmmm, nix that. It seems the group of 6 are all ICH8R connectors. Reds ones are considered Master and to be used for booting in a RAID, Black ones are considered Slave, and to be used for Storage in a raid. Apparently, you can't do a 6 drive array, ony 4 and 2, and 2 on the Jmicron.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    4 is more than enough for me, is it worth setting up 4 drives in RAID 0? My data is unimportant, I'm just a gamer so I want the most performance, but even still I don't want to have to deal with crashes often. Is 3 or 4 a better number of drives to use? At what point do the benefits of more drives outweigh the risk of one dieing?
  9. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    IF youre into Video editing, 3dAnimation RAID can give you a substantial amount of less time to wait or speed increase take it as you like.
    However thats all theres to it, no difference in games ( except loading times ).
  10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't use more than 2 drives in RAID 0, the benfits of using more than 2 are minimal and not worth it. Use 2 with RAID 0, and 2 more for storage.