1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What mouse and mouse pad to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dazzeerr, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1 since the days when a Geforce 2 MX was shit hot and Half-Life 1 was graphically astounding. It's time to move on haha, has treated me well though, still clicks and scrolls like it did from day one.

I'm also looking for a new surface/mouse pad. My more recent Everglide Titan mini-mat has worn down a fair bit and I want to go a bit larger :)

I'm looking for a mouse with at least 4 buttons (including left and right click), must be wired, either symmetrical or suitable for left-handed people, nothing too whacky in shape and if possible a button to immediately change DPI up and down.

I use quite a low sensitivity now, so maybe a lower DPI is suitable? I don't really know or understand DPI though.

If your familiar with source games, I tend to use 3.0 sensitivity for games requiring precision (counter-strike, half-life 2) and usually 5.0 for faster paced games (left 4 dead, team fortress 2)

For the mouse surface, I really don't know. Something reasonably big but not massive, nothing too thick and I don't really have a preference over material, cloth has treated me pretty well though.

I'm British so if you want to link me please use UK sites, I have a budget of around £60-70.

Thanks for any input guys :)
  2. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its down to the user and confort. Try test the mouse at your local computer stores if you can. see how it feels in your hand. Im very happy with my £17 OCZ mouse does all i need to, and i can change sensitivity on the go.

Skill>Hardware, you cant bake a great cake just because you have the best oven if that makes sense.
  3. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a G9 on a xiggy bestmate pad. I love it.
  4. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    WOW you put your sensitivity down low. I feel that 20 is too slow in combination with my Deathadder..

The only real "gaming" mouse I've ever had (or even used) is my deathadder. I thought the Steelseries WoW mouse was comfortable when playing with it at bestbuy. (I have large hands and don't like dragging my fingers around a surface) Only thing I can really recommend.
  5. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    There are a lot of good and great mice to buy out their. I will give general information to help and leave the choice up to you.

DPI (Dots per inch) - In a mouse this is the number of dots it will register as movement Higher DPI will improve accuracy and you want a mouse to have equal to or greater DPI than your screens largest resolution as an option. Example. If you play on a screen with resolution of 1280 x 1050, then you want a mouse with 1200 to 1600 DPI at the least.

Adjustable DPI - This is also a must. I tend to run a mouse at half screen res. for basic movement, because the sensitivity is lowered and movement is smoother. Then turn the DPI up for sniping, or precision tasks. This needs to be a dedicated button or switch. Some cheaper mice like to do this by pressing two of the mouse buttons at once which can create issues of not registering the change or changing it by accident.

All these buttons - Extra buttons are very helpful, but you don't want to go overboard. Extra buttons should all be in position for quick, easy use. If the button is in a possible where you have to feel around for it or move your hand to reach, they are useless in-game. Tilt wheels are nice, but not a big deal. Thumb buttons are what you are looking for and at least 2.

Hardware does not make the gamer - Better hardware can help. A decent gaming mouse can make a huge different in game play. It allows you to do the things you thought about doing, but couldn't because your hand slipped on the keyboard going for the "V". A good gaming mouse is a invaluable tool to help bring your game to the level you are capable of.

Weight - Adjustable weight is a gimmick. You don't want a mouse to be too light, but 40 or 50 grams is not going to make a big difference either. Get a mouse with some weight to it, but all high grade/gaming mice will be heavier than a standard mouse anyway.

Little known secret - Mice have a sensitivity measure is inches per second. This is how fast the mouse can move and still maintain its DPI resolution. This is helpful for quick movements. Not something you will find on a retail site, so you would need to the go to the manufacturers site for this. I am not sure how helpful it is, but I know higher for this is better. This is something you can pretty much ignore until you go into the $70+ range. If you are going to spend that much on a mouse, you may want to check into this stat.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G5 + func 1030 archetype are what i use, and i've never seen anything to convince me to change.

had this combo for several years, and they still work as new.
  7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0/4.0 and a Xtrac Pad but I don't think you can purchase the Xtrac Pads in the UK. believe me your never going to find a mouse that will satisfy you like the old Intellimouse and Wheel Mouse Optical. if your a low sensitivity gamer you will want a optical sensor like the Avago 3688 that can track accurately at low speeds. I like the DeathAdder shape but I like the Diamondback 3G construction more because of the mechanical wheel any of these will be a great choice.

this is why the Intellimouse series is so popular amongst low sensitivity gamers it tracks accurately on just about any surface at low speeds. the build quality is very durable and the mouse is inexpensive.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  8. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a razer lachesis for sale. it has dpi -+ buttons, programmable buttons too. Its a good mouse but not for me. I traded a blu ray drive for it bec. Ive been curious about gaming mice, but this is too much mouse for me.