1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What needs heatsinks on a GPU-Only cooled GTX460?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FireBean, Feb 29, 2012.

1. FireBean New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two EK universal WB's that I'm going to be mounting on two GTX460's . I don't think they are reference designs because they do not exhaust out the back of the case, but they are EVGA brand. What components are going to need heat-sinks? I'd use a Swiftech uni-sink but I don't think they ever made on and Swiftech will not get back to me via e-mail.

I will be pushing these things as hard as they will go. Hell, they both do 900 on air!

Or should I just see if I can find someone that that wants to trade these for a single 480 or better?

2. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Gpu, vrm and memmory mate;)

3. FireBean New Member

Thanks Received:
    The VRM's really need a heatsink?

4. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to oc, yes, or els you will burn your card:)

FireBean and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  5. FireBean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remind me what they look like. I counted 14 of them...
    Also, can anyone suggest a product that will work. They're freaking tiny, if I'm looking at the right thing.

6. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
  7. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    There are special heatsinks for vrm's , arctic cooling have some. Get the VR005 set.

FireBean says thanks.
  8. FireBean New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys kick ass. Mudkip, that is perfect for the price! I was looking at having to add over $80+ for those forged copper heatsinks!

mudkip says thanks.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The reference design didn't exhaust out the back of the case. EVGA's after market cards exhausted out the back of the case, but they still used a reference PCB, EVGA just changed the cooler.

Anyway, if you are going to overclock and push the voltage you are going to want heatsinks on the VRM for sure, because they get hot! The memory originally doesn't have a heatsink, but the fan was blowing directly down onto them. With removing the fan you will want the RAM to have heatsinks as well. EVGA actually sells a VREG heatsink for their cards: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=M020-00-000205&family=Accessories - Hardware&sw=4 which mounts perfectly to the holes already in the PCB, I'd go with that.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. kaosII

kaosII New Member

Thanks Received:
    enzotech

Enzo makes the really small ones for VRM's . I am using them and a fan right in front of the card. Working great for me, and Enzo's stick really well. PPC-s has the vrms and ram sinks for really cheap.

11. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i only have cooling on my gpu core on my 460 but the airflow is over the front of the pcb so blows on vram and vrm.

evga only do ref design cards other than the daft sku they make up like the 460 x2.