1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what network type on windows 7 should I choose?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Ubuntusario, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I have a dilemma, if I pick public network type as my connection then programs that need port forwarding like emule work but network sharing of files doesn't because of that can't discover computers thing, and if I choose home work type then emule or other programs don't work right because they are not allowed on my firewall to allow incoming connections using that network.

I'm thinking my network is home network, not work or public network so should I allow emule and other programs incoming connections under that type of network then?

What is the recommended settings? my pc has 1 lan card that connects to a switch that goes to a router that provides the internet nothing complicated. I use the win7 firewall.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Personally I wouldn't use eMule. But that's probably not the answer your looking for. Call it like it is. Then if you need to open up ports so be it. You not any more vulnerable then using that network in the first place

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012