1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What processes should I follow when swapping Mobo, CPU, & RAM?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by theeldest, May 12, 2008.

1. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I am currently running an AMD 3200+ (s939), Asus A8N5X, 2x512MB RAM.

The parts in the mail are AM2 pieces (AMD Opteron 1220, DFI LP M2RS, 2x2GB RAM).

My question is this: What processes do I need to follow to make my system work with the new parts? I'd assume that I should uninstall any drivers for the motherboard and any AMD drivers. I plan on keeping everything else the same (OS, HDD, GPU, PSU, Case, etc).

Is there anything else I should do prior to swapping the parts?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It would probablly be easier in the long run if you did a fresh install of Windows.

3. rampage

Thanks Received:
    1> back up any data you wish to keep (as you will need to format due to using a new mobo)
    2> turn off system
    3> unplug all cables from mobo
    4> remove gfx card + anything else that my be in your way
    5> remove mobo + cpu + ram
    6> install new hardware
    7> install new OS (will need to format via install disc)
    8> install drivers + any software you may need
    9> test system stability (memtest / orthos ect)

these are the basic steps for more info (how to remove/ replace cpu) check out some dedicated threads about each exact topic...

enjoy

theeldest says thanks.
  4. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    *sigh*

I really hate reinstalling windows (it's probably overdue anyway...).

Ok then. What's the best way to maintain user settings? (fonts, backgrounds, themes, etc. etc.)

5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    +1

you are changing to a different chipset, in this case a reinstall would be a good idea.

However, I know that if you uninstall the CPU, graphics card, and motherboard entires in Device Manager, Windows WILL boot up again afterwards, but if you are using XP 32-bit it will feel slow and bloated.

If however you are using a decent OS (read - XP x64) there will be no issue as long as you make sure to uninstall your CPU, graphics card and motherboard entires in Device Manager.

6. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I'm currently running XP Pro. I'll plan on doing a new install, but I'll try just uninstalling drivers first as I'm curious as to whether it will work (and I've got enough space that I can clone the drive so back up is a piece of cake).

Also, I've got a disk for XP x64 lying around (an actual legal copy too!). How is software compatibility? The main software I run:

Oblivion
    Battlefield2
    Fable
    Mathematica
    Office XP
    iTunes
    Corel and Adobe software

I'd assume that the only things that might have problems are the games. Anyone have personal experience with XP x64 and these games?

7. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have experience with all of those games, and they all run great :D

No idea what Mathematica is...

Office of course works fine, so does Corel and Adobe, and I won't touch iTunes...

The only major issue I've had is my webcam. I had to buy a new one because there were no x64 drivers available.

What a lot of people don't understand about XP x64, is it's basically Server 2003 with all the compatibility of XP. So it's a lot more stable, it's a lot less fickle with hardware changes, and doesn't require activation to download the updates (you do need to activate eventually though).

I've got a copy of Vista Ultimate, but I'd much rather use XP x64, say much?

theeldest says thanks.