1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what psu wattage should i get???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quasar923, May 20, 2007.

1. quasar923 Guest

my system i am going to get.

q6600 (will be heavily OCed)
    asus p5b deluxe mobo
    antec 900 case with all the fans in it
    1 hdd
    to start an ati sapphire radeon X850XTX gpu then a few months after a 8800 gts
    2 gigs 1x2 sticks of crucial balistix 8000
    cathode lights x2
    dvd burner.

i went to a site to calculate the wattage. i think its wrong it sayed the system would take 1200 watts. i was planning on gettting a 600 watt psu but im not sure now. maybe a 750 would do it. it sayed the sytem i have now would need 436 watts and i have the tt tr2 430 watt psu and it runs. so idk if its right. sometimes it may freeze in a game so maybe it is right. but i dought 1200 watts is needed for my new build. let me know what u think. thannks.
  2. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say 550 at the VERY VERY VERY bare minimum and go up

I would think 750-850 would be enough
  3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    750w or more as D44ve said
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    I agree. No less then 700. Just to be safe. Also buy a good brand psu.:)
  5. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    600w would be enough, provided it's by a good manufacturer
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. quasar923 Guest

hat, im getting what you showed me i like it.
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Oh. Cool. You'll like it, and those 60 amps will certainly help you OC that Core 2 Quad :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. quasar923 Guest

the specs say that that isnt modular. but the pic shows that it is. is it modular or not. if it is im getting it. if not ill have to pass.
  10. quasar923 Guest

and waht does a daul 12v rail do?
  11. quasar923 Guest

the one u showed me doesnt have a daul 12v rail
  12. TLH

TLH New Member

Thanks Received:
    The DA750 is a single big rail of 60amps. It is modular though and has an 8 pin pci-e v2 connector for R600 and other DX10 cards. Depending on Neweggs stock and turnover though it may come with the old style improper 8 pin pci-e. If it does Silverstone will send you an adapter free of charge. I would think you'd be OK though with Newegg and get the latest revision with the correct pinout.

Dual rail means exactly that, 2 rails. One would go to powering the cpu and motherboard and the other would be for everything else. Single rails splits the available power between everything so you wouldn't be wasting the spare amps on the cpu's rail. Three or four rails is much better than just 2 imho but the single rail is good. I have that psu's little brother in my system, the OP650, and it's been nice so far.
  13. AntecRep Antec Rep

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure what site you went to to calculate your power usage, but I reccomend this site: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

From the specs you gave it seems like your power requirements would be much lower (although I don't know how much you plan to OC your CPU).

I would personally reccomend an Antec TruePower Trio 650, or even better if you can wait a little bit longer, the Antec True Power Quattro. The Quattro would definately be much more power than you are likely to need, but I think its nice because of the modularity, plus it's a little bit more stylish looking.
  14. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    That TruePower Trio 650 is doing a great job on my Core 2 Extreme, which is OC'd to 3.3GHz. There are 3 hard drives and 4 GB of RAM in it too, and about 4 fans, or maybe 5 counting the Nvidia card.
  15. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the DA-750 you were talking about. It IS modular and freaking awesome.... I'm yet to get the fan off Idle (Which means the PSU if Laughing at my system lol). If you do buy it, you will not be dissapointed.. TONS of power, Excellent quality, And it looks good... Not a single complaint here