1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What router and adapter for 6meg line

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Irish_PXzyan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys.

Iam after going from 1meg to 6meg line today and the max download rate I can get is 720kbps. But I only reach 550 MAX. I checked on speedtest and says iam on a 4.8meg line.

Now I am unsure of these routers and modems and adapters...but I think...just perhaps that these are at fault here.

From what I know..my Specs are:

Router - NETGEAR WGR614 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router
    Modem - NETGEAR..but have no idea what it is.
    Adapter - Belkin 802.11g 54 mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter

So...are they the problem??

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The lines are never as fast as advertised. Plain and simple.

3. -2kill-

-2kill- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm supposedly on 24mbps but will ever only get around ~14ish. Heaps of factors, line quality distance to exchange ect ect....

4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Another thing comes to mind:

Wireless can make the internet 15 - 25% slower... so factor that in...

5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    oh yes I forgot about wireless...blah!

But...if I got one of those new adapters from Netgear...would I get a more...stable download rate?? would the signal be any better???

6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    How many bars of signal are you getting?

If you are getting full reception, then a wireless repeater to boost the signal wont do anything. I get full reception to my laptop, on my 8mb line, and I always get the same download speed as my hardwired connection (around 1-1.2mb/s tops).

7. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't 720Kb on a 6megaBIT line be just about right? I can't be arsed to do the maths but it's nearly right i think...

8. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    yes 720kbps is max for 6meg.

My signal is always all over the place...during the day I get around 36-48 and can even go to 12.....night time its always on 54 for some reason...why does it change all the time???

9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try updating the firmware of your router. Also, check around the current router settings...make sure the maximum ranged mode is selected.

Finally...check the actual wireless card. See if all the settings for it are right. It shouldNT jump like that, unless there is heavy interference.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  10. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Interference. At night, there are fewer mobile phones, DECT wireless phones, microwaves, and all sorts of stuff creating interference... including OTHER wireless internets who turn off their PCs and laptops at night.

Note that wireless is AWEFUL at scaling due to data "collisions" or "interference". If you have one AP and one client, its great. Add a few clients and the performance drops horribly... and add other APs in the neighbourhood on the same, even DIFFERENT, channels, and your wireless rates plummet.

The old wireless "b" didnt suffer very much from interference... but the downside was slower and also only "close" range. The advantage of "g" and "n" are much longer range... but with that... much more possibility for interference.

11. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a large fan of motorola modems, they always seem to be the fastest. For routers, I'm using a linksys wrt54g. Wireless does slow down the connection quite a bit due to latencies. Try hard wiring the connection and retrying it.

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I saw a tv prog last nite,the gadget show.The main thing is the isp's always state "upto" 8mb or whatever it is.It basically means you have to be happy with whatever your connection speed is.

13. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then explain how my 5mbit connection gets 13mbit down?

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    your in the usa tho',the op was in ireland i beleive.Idk if the upto thing applies in the usa.The program was on about isp's in the united kingdom i believe.Does your isp state upto for your connection speed kenny?

15. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pay for 5megabit down 384kilobit up, I get roughly 13.6megabit down and 1megabit up.

16. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    gosh..updateing the router?? firmware?? what is firmware!!

hmm...umm..is it possible for a link?? iam clueless about these routers :D

17. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
  18. mcloughj

Thanks Received:

Apologies for misreading your first post. I had a similar problem but changing the broadcast channel to 13 on the router helped! no one likes the number 13! :eek:

19. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    broadcast 13?? what is this that you speak of???

I just watched war of the worlds for the first time...with my new speakers with sub woofer...the sound was incredable and the movie is outstanding!!!!!! ahem...back on topic!

What is this 13??? how do I know what number I am on?? what is the difference??

20. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear that you got yourself some big sound... maybe you were that noise i heard earlier on today! Are you anywhere near dublin city university? :)

Anyway back to the business at hand. Your wireless network has an ssid but also has a channel. If the wireless networks around you are using the same 'channel' as you get a certain amount of interference. change the 'channel' and you lessen the interference. By default (in my limited experience) routers are factory set to 6 and 9 so play around with channel numbers to see which gives you the most stable speeds.

You should be able to access this in the routers web page set up thingy, on the same page as where you'd name the SSID.

Hope this helps! (BTW who are you with for your 6mb connection and how much is it?)

Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  21. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Nah man I live in Waterford :p it aint me :p

I am with NTL Broadband and it costs me 40 Euro a month + 100 Digital channels. Since I have digital TV they gave me 10 Euro off my broadband :p pretty handy really.

I just checked:

Name (SSID) NETGEAR
    Region Europe
    Channel 11
    Mode Auto
    Wireless AP ON
    Broadcast Name ON

I take it iam on channel 11??? now...iam lost on how to change it???? any help?

22. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    oh wait...never mind! I found it..I shall start changeing :D

23. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    as for wireless i would in general say that it is lame i have a D-link Dgl-4300 and even the wireless 10ft from it running at 108G is noticeably slower than a wired connection.
    To my surprise the Gigabit Ethernet ports are also noticeably faster than standard 100mb there seems to be alot less latency between the router and the computer, pages with alot of content seem to load faster but overall speed is not changed.

dynamic downspeed aka powerboost like comcast has im sure other company's have taken advantage of this idea

24. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    hmm... ok so...if I were to go ahead and buy a new router and adapter..what should I go and buy?? or would I be wasteing my money buying new gear?

25. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    I think you would be wasting money buying new gear.

Look at it this way your broadband is using approx 22% of your wireless bandwidth (assuming that you get 25mb max out of you 54 mb router using the wireless with a good signal) so it's not really the wireless that is cramping your style (assuming that you can get rid of the interferences).

If you can get your computer onto a hardwire from the router, it'll work great for ya if wireless isn't going to cut it. upgrading to even faster wireless will not give you the speed boost you crave.