1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What should I do with this motherboard?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by brandonwh64, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well I had a nice Asus P6T X58 board that was in my FS thread. It wassn't getting much attention on the FS thread and i decided to put it on Ebay. Well it sold in 1 Day and I was excited! Well i shipped it out in the anti static bag with the socket protector on it. I inspected the whole board before i shipped it and it posted and worked perfectly. Well It arrives at the buyer and two days later I get a paypal claim email saying the item was not as descibed and I was like WTF!! So I email him asking what is wrong. He explained that the board came with 3 or more bent pins but tried to use it anyway. When it didn't post he said he made the claim "so he had paypal proof that to back him up". I was very upset but kept my cool and told him to send the board back and I would inspect it and refund his money. When I got the board back it did have 3 bent pins and one looks like it arced off of a nearby pin and turned it semi purple. Well I refunded his money (Yes I know I got shafted somehow) but what my question is, what should I do with this board? Does Asus have a repair service? I doubt I can RMA it since I do not have the original receipt. Just feel depressed since im out 125$ total

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    RMA it or try to fix it your self .

3. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    What is ASUSes policy on RMA when you do not have receipt?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    how did you order the board? newegg or other e-tailer? I know newegg keeps track of your orders you could probably print a copy and use that as proof of purchase

5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Got it from a member at OCN.net

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure how they work thing but ask them the board may have to just be registered is all .

7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I put in a RMA request but Im on the fence about this.

If they will not take it then i will sell on ebay as parts or attempt to fix myself

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    asus does rma off the serial #

so did u take pics of the socket and mb before shipping it ?

i did when i sold my r3e just incase something like this where to happen havent heard anything from him or got no heat rep :(

oh yeah think they charge around $35 to replace the socket dont think theey try to fix it

i would bend them back and see if it would work my first x58 mb i bent a few many times lol even broke a tip off one and still got it to work :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was going to say.

10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Ive also though about that as well but one has been arced off of another pin and is now discolored. This would probably mean the board may be shorted out?

I didn't take pictures (wished i did now :( ). the funny part is when he shipped it back, he did not put the socket protector back on.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Thats messed up.

12. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My bet is he broke the socket protector trying to remove it (hence why he didn't return it), bending the pins in the process. He then tried to boot the PC with the pins bent, causing them to short and possibly kill the mobo.

13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Dishonest buyer - what a jerk. :nutkick: How many feedbacks did this guy have?

I wouldn't bother trying to repair the mobo yourself, as it won't be possible due to that short.

Your only hope is that Asus will accept an RMA without original proof of purchase, but don't hold your breath.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :(

14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    By chance is the serial number the same as the old ones?I sold a computer way back when and the guy calls me like a week later saying it broke ,So i get it back and the serials for the memory sticks did not match what i gave him ,I showed him the pics of them when i sold them(digital cameras with time stamp) So he got all mad and took his con with him.Next time do this chances are he switched the boards(seems funny he had it for 3 days before he says it is broke),Scams like that happen you know.Keep a good inventory of serials of your parts before you sell them.

qubit says thanks.
  15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I've had a mobo with bent pins, I fixed it and it worked fine. In fact, it ended up with 2 or 3 of the pins missing where I couldn't bend them back properly and ended up breaking them.

It's worth trying to fix IMO. The problem I had was when I put a CPU in and rested a HSF on top of it, it worked. But when I screwed the HSF down, it wouldn't work. So I rested the HSF on it, booted and it worked. Turned it off and done a half turn (or maybe a whole turn) on each screw, booted and it worked. I repeated that until the HSF was fully screwed and it was still working.

The board (ASUS P5KC) still works in my Dad's rig to this day.

16. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Aw man, such a great board! I'm sorry to hear about you misfortune.
    You can try to fix it, get a pair of tweezers (and a magnifying glass) and pull the pins to place. Steady hands are crucial to this.
    Maybe the board isn't necessarily dead.

17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that. 'Cause only an idiot would try a CPU on that without straighting the pins first.
    And, he should have contacted you first about returning it or trying a fix, before going ahead.
    IMO, I am pretty sure you would not send a farked up board; so, the moron you sold it had to be the one who sc*ewed it up and just wouldn't man up. Heck, the dummy is probably RMAing the CPU, too.:shadedshu

Remember, documentation and pictures... insure yourself against the idiocy of others.

Well, 'tis done 'tis done. Hopefully you can get it fixed. Either, thru ASUS or self service.
    But, it don't look good for the self service side of things. I would be surprised if it did not take some other components with it.

Goodluck brandonwh64!
    :)

qubit says thanks.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    brandonwh64 I wish you would have PM'd me before you took it back. Its bullshit what that buyer did and there are in fact ways around it.

19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Damned good advice. :rockout: I've sold lots of electronic stuff and software on eBay and I didn't note this down. I can only consider myself lucky that I didn't get stiffed by some dishonest buyer.

I'll definitely do this for my next sale. :toast:

While it's worth bending the pins back, I'm not holding my hopes up, because of that burnout. It's likely that something is fried on the mobo.

Here's crossing fingers for brandon.

20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, i appreciate the feedback. Yea the reason why i sucked it up and refunded him the money is it was on ebay and I had zero proof of how it was before i sent it out other than my word. Also ebays buyer protection almost always sides with the buyer even if the seller does have some evidence.

If Asus doesn't RMA the board then I will attempt to straighten the pins and hope for the best. I hate to see a board goto waste like this.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they do always side with the buyer. Don't I know it. :rolleyes: