1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What should I ram disk?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by GSG-9, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    So, I have a bit more ram than I need,
    I am planning on setting up a 4gb ram disk via the program dataram.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should store on it? It can't be the OS, I don't know if there is a point in setting it to be my scratch disk in Photoshop or 3DSMax. Should I pull games over to it when I play them?

I am putting Firefox on it for sure.
    Any other suggested programs? :toast:
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    You could do the pagefile. I personally keep mine on a partition in the middle of the drive. I get a 1-2% performance boost doing so, so really marginal. On a ramdisk however, it would be great!
  3. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Right now I have it (Paging file) off, when I get home I will give that a shot and see what happens.
  4. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Please post back your results. I'm interested in the same thing and was wondering how other rigs have performed.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Putting the page file on the memory is redundant. The page file is used when you run out of RAM... so you would be taking your RAM away to put the page file on it so your RAM can spill into... more RAM, that was already there in the first place.

I just move the temp directory for internet files there (not actually installing the whole browser to it, just moving temp files) and the Windows temp directories.

There's really not much to do with a RAMdisk these days.
    digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    big +1 to this. if your running windows 7 there really isnt a point in having a ram disk... windows already loads all your programs into ram when it boots.

moving temp directorys to a ram disk might help if your HDD is a bit slow.... other then that there is no point.
  7. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Well here is what I ran, its my C drive against my ram so...yeah.

Idk if I will keep this up though, I have to manually turn off my C drive page file and turn on my P drive page file every time I start windows.

I am not sure how to point my temp directory to the ram drive anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. twilyth Guest

I have firefox and temp dirs on the ramdisk which is 200MB. The ramdisk is set to be saved every 5 minutes, to save on shutdown and load on startup. I can't say I've seen a huge difference but that might be due to other issues (which would be seriously OT).
  9. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    move google chrome
  10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Wrong, pagefile is always in use whether you have 4mb ram free or 4gb, don't believe me go check your pf usage (assuming you have it on) in taskmgr. Infact some programs need pf again regardless of the amount of ram you have.

But saying your pf just sits there until you run out of ram is an misconception that I'm surprised some people on here still have :wtf:
  11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    firefox doesn't really access the hard drive a whole ton... i mean it caches, but even so that is minimal interaction. having it on an SSD or a ramdisk won't do much of anything.
    it only makes a difference with programs that access the HDD a lot. so scratch disk in adobe or something similar - for 3d rendering or video editing.

most games and programs will give you NO difference, or minimal at best.
    your best bet is to get an SSD and put the OS on there, that's where you see the biggest increase in speed.

edit: here's a post by lemondasoda that completely bonkers linked to in another thread:
    [expert][tip] Using a RAMdisk to speed up your HDD - and/or reduce SSD trashing
  12. sixor New Member

Thanks Received:
    pagefile is always on, is best to have it disabled, don't believe me? well try some games, alt tab with pagefile on off, you will see with pagefile off alttab is faster, also quitting games is faster

another cool use for pagefile is recording fraps videos, since hard drives are slow, ramdisk works perfect for that

also older games are awesome in ramdisk, they load in 1 sec

i also have firefox portable and pidgin, sometimes utorrent, and other stuff, since my netbook battery last longer using ramdisk than harddrive