1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What sort of cooling should I get?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by PF85, Dec 27, 2012.

1. PF85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there. First time posting on this forum, so I hope that I've put it in the right place.

I've just built myself a new computer with this spec:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    Core i5-3570k
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    GTX 670

I've built that into a CM Storm Trooper case. Now, I've been told that it would be almost stupid NOT to OC my CPU, but since I'm running with stock cooling at the moment, I figured it would be a waste of effort to do it now.

The thing is that for someone like me, its a jungle out there with air cooling vs closed water cooling. So I would really like to hear your ideas on what sort of cooler I should get? And which?

Also, my RAM modules got heatsinks on them so I dont have a ton of room.

I've also asked this question on other sites.

Thanks.

2. PF85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've looked at the Hyper212+ because its so cheap. What do you think about that one?

3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Memory wise, you do not need modules with tall heatsinks. DDR3 does not run hot as in DDR2 days cursing 2 volts through the modules. Kingston makes Hyper X Lo Profile modules as does Crucial Ballistix sport series. Both are very good and inexpensive.

Air cooling can go different directions. Low priced and a good bang for the buck is the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ which is under $30 US, on the High, the Noctua D-14 remains one of the better air coolers. Water can also go different directions. A all in one is where the majority is going lately with the 3570K.

4. PF85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only bought those sticks because someone recommended them to me, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm gonna change memory.

I've read alot about Corsairs H80>H100 series lately, and there seems to be alot of people who are talking bad about their build quality. But I havent had one myself, so I cant say.

Any idea what I should suspect regarding Hyper 212+ compared to stock cooler?

5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    212+ is the better of low end air cooling. Ivy runs hotter than Sandy so I would guess 4-4.2Ghz would be possible. 2500K's got up to 5Ghz with the 212+ but surely 3570K will not.

6. PF85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay. Should I OC? As I mentioned in my post, there seems to be a general point of view saying that its almost stupid not to with the K CPUs?

7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You don't really need it. But why not?

8. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Since you only have 2 sticks, you put them in slot #2 and #4 , there be no issue with HS with 212+ .

I have 212evo and it keeps temps fine ,though I only OC the 3570k to 4.0 . I really don't see need to go higher, my cpu is not bottleneck most times .

I left it set to auto for only mild 4.0 and in games it does avg of 50c on cores and something like prime95 around 60c . SO there more headroom if wanted though i would try and keep temps in the 70's max in prime .

9. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You get what you want out of your CPU. Once you start, it is a disease. LOL:twitch: