1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What SSD Do I Need

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Walrus, May 15, 2012.

1. Walrus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently on newegg there are 3 different versions of the crucial m4 128gb SSD.
    -Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive-$150
    -Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (Data transfer kit included) -$129
    -Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive -$130

-My question is what one do i want and what does "CCA" and "BAA" mean.

Thanks for your Time,

Walrus

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Walrus says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:

That's funny/odd/weird; because, I was going to post this in the Hot deals section:
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD) - SDSSDX-120G-G25
    $109.99USD + free shipping at Buy.com < deal was 24 hours and expired, now back to $124.99USD
    Buy.com is reputable and I have ordered and dealt with them many times.

Edit:
    Forgot to answer your question.

The CT128M4SSD2 is the bare drive.
    The CT128M4SSD2CCA includes a USB to SATA cable and some transfer software.
    The CT128M4SSD2BAA includes a 3.5" adapter bracket and screws.
    Thus the meaning of "CCA" and "BAA". The same M4 SSD is included in each product.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    Walrus says thanks.
  4. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    A Samsung 830 is pretty good and reliable.

Walrus says thanks.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm happy with my 120Gb Corsair Force GTs.

Walrus says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I would hardly call the M4 'old news' or 'slow'. the write speed might be a bit slower but the read spead is just slightly slower but not slow enough to make any real world difference.

I do agree that the Sandforce drive is faster though but not in the leaps and bounds you are insinuating.

Walrus says thanks.
  7. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
  8. Walrus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks all, would the SanDisk be better than the OCZ SSDs, such as the vertex 3/4

9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    they both use the same sandforce 2281 controller afaik so they are the same reguardless of which brand is on the box imo.

All it comes down to is price per GB - which ones cheaper and which one has the better aftermarket support

Walrus says thanks.
  10. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    OCZ's SSDs have a history of being pretty sketchy. YMMV like with anything, but read around on them before you make a decision.

11. dom99

Thanks Received:
  12. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Well the Vertex 4 has only been out in a short period of time, so I would not know about the reliability of it. As for the Samsung I mentioned, it has proven reliability. If price is an issue for you, then the Crucial M4 you mentioned would be your best bet. There are many rave reviews on it. May I add, it's fast and reliable.

13. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    The Samsung 830 and the Crucial M4 are both fast and reliable SSDs. With the Sandforce controller you are still rolling the dice. People are still reporting crashes, BSODs,etc with Sandforce drives.

In real-world usage, the M4 is just as fast as any Sandforce. In synthetic benchmarks,the Sandforce pulls away because they use some funky compression mojo, but their special sauce isn't effective in all situations.
    In fact, when the Sandforce controller runs into in-compressable data, the Crucial drive is faster.

Most modern Sata 6gbps SSDs are very fast, it comes down to whatever SSD has the best deal. And try to stay away from OCZ. they treat their cusatomer base like beta testers.

14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    You know, I hear this alot; however...
    I have only had one trouble with a Sandforce controller SSD out of the seven+ I have installed for others/used myself and I really cannot contribute that to the Sandforce side, it may very well be the controller on the motherboard who was having trouble recognizing the SSD.
    Don't really know... have not seen any tests/studies on the problems with compatibility of the different controllers on the motherboard/add-on cards.
    So, I don't lay blame on anyone. Most posts/blogs/reviews I have read just go about blasting the SSD's controller and the fault may not be all their's.

Stay away from OCZ? Nope, they are one of the few vendor's who do update their firmware to try and stay ahead or catch up with problems that do develop.
    They have, always answered my questions... even, though I might not have like the particular answer, it was usually something that was beyond their control or had to wait for other devs/engineering results.

I always recommend to people check the support (whether through company sponsored forums, the FAQS and/or downloads for updates) to see if Company X does really support their products.
    It is like, I had a bad experience with Patriot, but I won't slam them... They still have good products.

Not slamming anyone here, just giving my thoughts on the subject so the op can decide.:)

15. reverze

Thanks Received: