1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What SSD should i get for my Computer RIG?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tuunade98, Jan 26, 2013.

1. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    i was thinking about the, Corsair 120GB Force Series 3 SSD.

my current computer specs are,
    MOTHERBOARD: GA-78LMT-S2P
    RAM: 8Gb
    VIDEO CARD: ATI RADEON 7870
    POWERSUPPLY: OCZ fatality 550w

is my motherboard good enough for a ssd like the one i mentioned? Will i see alot of change in speed? im thinking about running windows on the SSD. At the moment i've only got a 1tb HDD.
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    You will definitely see an improvement in speed over any HDD when you go to a SSD. I am not sure off hand if your motherboard has SATA 3.0/6Gbps ports or not, so the drive won't operate at that spec, but still is very fast on SATA 2.0/3Gbps.
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    If you are really running an 80 IDE drive as you primary, then you need to update immediately. Even current gen HDD will vastly out perform your OS drive. If you are going with an SSD, then these are all good buys.

Great SSDs:
    Corsair Force GT
    Samsung 800 series
    ADATA 900 series
    Kingston HyperX Vector
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    google is your friend.

===============

Unfortunately the board only supports Sata II (3Gb/s) so you wont be getting the full speed out of that SSD but they are all backwards compatible and still pretty lightning fast.

I went from an OCZ Vertex 2e 3Gb/s to a Crucial M4 6Gb/s and for day to day tasks, theres not much difference, windows loads up a little faster, programs still load up lightning fast. So its not much of a set back at all. The only real setback here is the price of the SSD itself. :laugh::laugh: it aint free

::EDIT::

you should probably get rid of that IDE asap - they are slow as shit. IDE compared to Sata II is a massive jump in performance, I dont see why you didnt just grab a sata hard drive in the first place
  5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Help him.

Storage Interface

South Bridge:
    0.6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
    0.Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, and JBOD
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    registered member since 2008, 4k posts - Incapable of using google? took me less then 2 seconds to find the boards specs
  7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should retire?
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can we please stay on topic?
    andrewsmc says thanks.
  9. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    +10
  10. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

Thanks Received:
    As previously said, even going to a SATA HDD will be a improvement over that IDE.

AFAIK for a system drive linear R/W speeds are the least important, what really matters is how well the drive can handle random access (or IOPS), so (correct me if I'm wrong guys) even most current SATA III SSDs have a hard time to saturate SATA II bandwidth when doing 4k random read/write operations.

:toast:
  11. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Or you can get an OCZ synapse cache SSD instead if you didn't want to reinstall windows but just to speed up your 1 TB HDD.
  12. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Hm.. Lol I gotta update my system specs. I'm only using a 1tb HDD, the 80gb IDE is long gone. With the ssd I was thinking about getting windows on it, do you guys know of anyway I can get windows on to it without having to do a install with disk and everything. Like maybe clone my 1tb windows installation to the ssd? Though I would have to delete everything of the 1tb first except windows. Is it possible to do this? And with my current motherboard if I get the new corsair ssd I mentioned above will I see a huge difference in speed compared to my sata HDD? Thanks for the replies so far