1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What to anticipate going from GT210 to 6850 xfire

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by twilyth, Jul 19, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

I have 2 6850 cards I want to install on my 1090T rig (Asus xfire formula IV). I plan to set this up for an extended desktop on 3 screens. 2 are DVI, the third is off to the side and is a 22" Sony TV using HDMI.

Since I'm completely naive regarding xfire and eyefinity, I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before I do this.

Right now I just plan to pop in the 2 cards, attach the bridge and fire it up. I assume that I should make all of the connections via whichever card is in the first PCI slot.

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. Zenith

Zenith

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Enabling Crossfire in CCC and you are ready to go.

3. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    be sure to remove all traces of the nvidia driver software using a tool like drivercleaner (google it)

be sure that your power supply can handle the load of the new cards

kill your overclock to ensure a stable environment for the hardware upgrade

plug things in.. then check that things are plugged in correctly... then recheck...then check again to be sure.

go to the AMD site for instructions before you attempt the upgrade.. print the web page if you anticipate difficulties

the catalyst control center hasn't looked like the above picture for years

welcome to the red team

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    "What to anticipate going from GT210 to 6850 xfire"? A mindfuck I guess. LOL

5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Well if you wanna watch movies then nothing...

6. twilyth Guest

I might do some folding or maybe bitcoin mining. Still have a lot of reservations about the latter.

Mainly I'm doing it to become more familiar with the technology and I've been thinking about playing some games. I haven't even installed Portal yet, but who knows. It could happen.

Anyway, I measured the current draw with cpu at 3.8ghz/40C and it's only 100watts. I've got an Antec 650w PSU in there, so I should be fine on power. A 6850 under load only draws about 120w. So total should be less than 350w.

7. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably more than 10 times the frame rate when playing games.

Actually how much power does HD6850 use compared to HD4870? 650W worked for me but not sure about the 6850s.

8. twilyth Guest

9. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    jiggawatts, just don't go over 87mph.