1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What to do when Windows XP wont boot up

Discussion in 'General Software' started by zukisocks, Feb 9, 2008.

1. zukisocks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am asking this on behalf of my friend as his computer wont boot. It goes into Safe Mode and then locks and PC switches off. He has tried three times now and same thing. What could be problem? thanks
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overheating (clean it), Bad or corrupted HDD. are real common. Could be something has blown or worn out.

Open it up and blow out the dust with canned AIR. Try again. If you know how to get into bios, try booting straight to bios and chnging the settings of "restart automaticly upon error", to "do not restart"; so you can write down the error and post it here for us to see. Also some system specs of the computer in question would help A LOT.
  3. zukisocks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much for the reply. OK I will ask him tomorrow (he is out tonight).
    By the way curious to know - how you boot straight to bios? Also when you say blow dust out with canned air... is this something especially made for cleaning dust from inside computers. That sounds like what it might be then. If it was bad HDD would just say system error or just not boot but hang..
    Unfortunately, I do not know the spec of his computer but I do know its only 2 years old and it was going fine all the time. My friend mentioned he might call the PC engineer on Monday but I was very curious as to what might be gone wrong as usually can boot into safe mode when windows problem. Never known PCs to not boot up and then shut themselves off completely. I am always keen to learn solutions to problems and only like to call pc engineer as a last resort myself.
  4. Threeflow New Member

Thanks Received:
    May need to reinstall the OS due to corrupted OS files (has happened to me a few times over the years). You can do a 'repair' installation (not to be confused with a recovery, using the recovery console).

This same problem happened to me once after I changed major hardware without first uninstalling the appropriate drivers.