1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What to update?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sumasage, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sumasage New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently having some issue with installing Windows Vista because it wont recognize my hard drives. I was able to install about a month ago and been using it. I tried to reformat last night and it wont recognize my hard drive. The Vista install gave me "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation". I did some research and found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520. Seem like i have to update my hard drive controller. It was working why wouldnt it work now???? Weird.

I have a DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR motherboard. What should i update to update my hard drive controller? Should i update the BIOS or the nForce chipset? If the nForce chipset do i obtain it from DFI or Nvidia?

Final question - does updating a chipset work like BIOS where it will be store on the hardware level or software (in OS)?

Thanks for any helps.

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update both Forceware and Mobo drivers. Just be sure to download the Vista drivers from Nvidea and Mobo site. The BIOS should be OK unless it's realy out of date. Drivers are stored in the HDD. Bios stored in BIOS chip.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    just make sure your using the latest bios version which is the 4/6/06 i believe,if ur using sata hd dont use the bottom four ports on the board,use the ones towards the middle of the board,and if you have a raid array your screwed..

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Use XP til SP1 comes out. It's not as pretty, but will save you the headaches.:banghead:

5. sumasage New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am using the four ports near the IDE ports. Any other suggestions?

Anyone know how to revert from Dynamic type hdd to simple type?