1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What type of monitor do you use?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FordGT90Concept, Aug 6, 2011.

?

What type of monitor do you use?

1. CRT

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. TFT-LCD TN

63 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. TFT-LCD PVA

14 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. TFT-LCD IPS

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I have a TN panel and it does not suck. It is pure greatness, especially for my uses as a serious gamer.

It is the 120hz Samsung 2233rz. I will be upgrading soon to the new 27" 120hz Samsung. Pure greatness, and I dare any serious gamer to compare any of these 2 monitors side by side with any IPS panel and say which one is better. You will side with the 120hz.

2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Other. LCD

3. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    3.5 year old LCD, TN I presume. It has gotten really dark, so I have switched back to an 18" Trinitron CRT.
    It blew me away how much better everything looks on a CRT. If only it was widescreen, I'd use it until it died.
    Maybe that's just because my LCD crapped out. I remember being impressed by it back when I bought it.

Will replace my dead/dying LCD with a 24" IPS when I upgrade my entire system. Any recommendations on a good 24" IPS panel?

4. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    If you play games, you are MUCH better off with a 120hz monitor than a slooooow IPS.

5. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Could not find definitive info

Tried to find out whether the 8 bit you speak of with TN is actually 8 bit. It looks like most are saying it is still dithering but I will try to find more recent info if possible. I think it is more likely for an IPS for a variety of reasons to be a better picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1310083

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/6bit_8bit.htm

6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Im just using an old tn viewsonic 14" TN. Definitely got my moneys worth out of it but can't justify going bigger/better yet. Probably will use this thing until it dies.

7. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Okay....

To maintain a constant 120hz and get the most out of your PC you are going to need a beast of a PC. It also leads to more power consumption and heat running at higher FPS. So taking that aspect into account it may not be for everybody and with the latest power hungry games I would be hard pressed to find a system that can do DirectX 11 max detail or high detail at even 60 FPS much less 120 FPS. And in many games frames 61 to 120 would be wasted because it is not as visible or necessary in 2D. 120hz is really important for 3D gaming. I had the Sony 24" Trinitron CRT and that refreshed at 99hz for 1920 * 1200 and that was fast but not that much more appealing than 60hz or 80hz @ 2340 * 1440. I would rather have higher resolution IPS than lower resolution TN 120hz. (HP LP3065!!!!!)

8. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I have a 27' Benq. I've had it for about a year now. A 23' Samsung (2.5 years old) and about 4 months ago I picked up a couple of used monitors for some Eyefinity action.

All of them TN panels.

Eyefinity FTW!

[​IMG]

9. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    TN here, but by no means a bad one, great pixel pitch, and a very flat no-bleed backlight. 2.5 years old. Better LCD tech exists, however I'm still hoping for OLED or similar.

10. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Well you are wrong in many aspects. Firstly, you don't need to maintain a constant 120fps in order to benefit from the 120hz monitor. Average 80fps and you are benefiting, and if you average 80fps in newer games, many older games will run at a constant 120fps. Let me put it this way: if you have a PC that can put out more than 60fps in any of the games you play, your display is holding back the quality of your experience as a gamer.

My PC averages at least 100fps in BFBC2 at max settings AF 16X and MSAA 8X. The silky smoothness of it has nothing in common with gaming on a 60hz display. Fluidity, reaction times, everything is enhanced. BUT YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE IT TO UNDERSTAND IT. That is probably the biggest problem with 120hz displays. YOU have clearly not experienced it. Frames between 60 and 90 are EXTREMELY visible, and 90 to 120 only add to the "smoothness" feel of the game, which means they ARE visible, but you might not distinguish them from the frame before or the frame after. AND THAT IS A VERY GOOD THING.

EDIT: Very nice setup, HossHuge. If I had the space, I would have 3 x 120hz displays.

11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That depends on what you consider better picture quality. Better color reproduction? Probably. Better backlight? No not really. Bbetter responce time? Not likely. For most gamers, the responce time gives a better quality image than the color reproduction.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    robn says thanks.
  13. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's the kind of subtle, but nice differences I expected. The IPS looks like it has better "gamma", I suppose from more colour bit depth. Of course I'm viewing your pics on my TN LCD, and the actual photography process would have altered things a bit too, so I don't know :laugh:

14. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    You are right that the picture looks better but what if the object is moving? And you are comparing two monitors that are not even close to the same price point according to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QTKV9W/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B002M1FH2Q/?tag=tec053-21

15. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    phillips 42" lcd tv 1080i
    Asus vh236h 23" tft 2ms gtg

16. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    In my country Dell Costs around 180€, and BenQ 150€... Dell U2311H has almost no input lag, and I didn't notice any difference when playing games. In any case, small difference in response time doesn't justify very big difference in picture quality, not anymore... However there is one drawback that I noticed lately. Quality control is decreasing. There is a lot of faulty IPS panels. I had to replace mine first with one that I have now. There are other eIPS panels (LG makes them) from LG, Viewsonic, etc. Dell has best price because they moved to China, hence the lack of quality control...

17. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I have a TN panel. LG W2361V-PF. I bought it at the start of this year and i'm pretty happy with it.

18. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    PVA panel user, a Samsung 37A450 37" 1366x768 LCD panel,
    its very good, and no contrast and color change at 178/178 viewing angle.

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure cause i don't know enough about monitors.:eek:

But have an ASUS 23'' 1920x1080 monitor. I guess it's TN cause it seems to be the most common in this thread.

20. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Here is what I want from a monitor

I have a dream.......

To have a monitor with perfect color reproduction, instant response time, a wonderfully uniform picture and decent power consumption. Oh, that is Plasma but I digress......

I value an ultra uniform backlight and better black levels because I like to game in a pitch black setting. I like bloody games with crazy explosions so I want the utmost accurate color reproduction. Maybe I'm a pyromaniac but I want fire to look just like fire. Since I game in the dark I am very sensitive to blotch vision.

All that really matters is you get the monitor that is right for you. Maybe this thread can clear up what the differences are between the various monitors.

I think with response time there is a point where it is less visible especially with the from black performance. I've seen too slow and I've seen fast enough and I've seen Plasma which for me is a pipe dream for PC gaming. I swear I played Dirt 2 and it seems like I was playing the game in hyperactive mode. It just seemed to move so fast. I stopped playing on the 50" Plasma because it isn't mine and I'm paranoid about image retention.

21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    A good IPS display is like a good mechanical keyboard, once you try one its hard to go back.

My monitor is just a normal Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW (TN) good for the price i paid at the time and it was my first 16:10 panel. Recently considered getting a 19:9 LED IPS as i cant afford a great monitor. Lots of crappy IPS have light bleed and problems with motion but just look and research what you want and you should be good.

EDIT: Gaming in the dark is bad because it strains the eyes.
    I thought that plasma still uses more power than LCD.

22. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    I can definitely say that I would take a good 120hz TN over a good IPS. I don't notice colors or details too much in the midst of gaming (unless I am specifically oggling a games graphics) I do notice FPS changes. there is such a major difference that it is like night and day.

it all comes down to preference.

23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell Ultrasharp U3011. Specs state it is a IPS.
    I also have a HannsG 22" and a ASUS 24" - not sure what they are. I am in the same boat as CDdude55 and really don't know that much about monitors. I will say that I absolutely love this 30" Dell - everything looks freak'n awesome!

EDIT:
    Just checked out this link to educate myself a little bit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Plasma does use more power

How much more is where it gets more complicated.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/lcd-vs-plasma-what-are-their-true-energy-costs/#

25. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    28 inch TN @ 1900 x 1200, had it 2 1/2 years paid about £270.