1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was the scariest game you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCpraiser100, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Dead Space, FEAR, FEAR 2 demo.

STALKER Clear Sky at night was F***ing terrifying

FEAR 2 is scarier that FEAR.
  2. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dead Space in a dark room with surround sound makes for the creepiest experience I have found to date.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Add another vote for FEAR to the list. I could only play it in short bursts because I would get too creeped out. lol.
  4. NeSeNVi New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is only one game, which made me scared: Blood from 1995, if I remember correctly. I couldn't play it without mom or dad at home. Seriously and I have tried almost all of them, which I can see in this thread.
  5. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Pffft....Far Cry has NOTHING on the true essence of fear itself.

I wish I could just give Alma a hug and she's stop scaring the $hit out of me. :(

Kei

(FEAR....there I said it now I have to uninstall it because even the icon scares me:shadedshu)
  6. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    That's cuz you played with the sound on Mute :p

Put a headset on at night in a dark room by yourself. Or use a large surround sound like I do (home theater) and you'll change your mind.

I'm still in shock how much this game can make me piss myself, until I had played this game I wondered (as does everyone around me) if I was even really human or not. My personality is so calm and relaxed at all times hot tea drinks ME to relax. Then I played FEAR...now I don't sleep well anymore :twitch:

Kei
  7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Well, one problem in the first F.E.A.R is that you miss ALOT of stuff because you are looking the wrong direction. Every time the screen flickers and I see nothing, I will reload and look for what it is. I have seen a bunch of stuff that I missed before. Like Alma crawling out from a dark cubicle inside the Armatech building for instance.

However, no one can possibly tell me that the first time you were crawling through the vent and she pops out of nowhere, crab walking at you and the fucking flashlight dies that you werent scared shitless.
  8. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    For me System Shock 2,Scares me just thinking of the one level were you have to unlock a door and that ghost and scream taunts ....oh my god ...darn time for the shorts change...All you Hackers............

jc316 wrote

However, no one can possibly tell me that the first time you were crawling through the vent and she pops out of nowhere, crab walking at you and the fucking flashlight dies that you werent scared shitless.

that was in the demo,To be honest I thought it was to The Ring look and feel why i never bought the game,,,cheesy movie and game ....
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have not read all the thread but surely someone will have already put before me the game that must be played in the dark with a good set of headphones...... then, nothing can be as eerie and daunting as Doom 3!
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    yeah good games had a good atmosphere, dunno if i found them really scary but back in the day i allways had that feeling lol

most games at times i will crap myself, i did it during a few games where i havnt expect the boss to be so large lolol or when there are hundreds of enemies

crapped it during rome total wat once when i was taking a general to a town and blam ambush more of a shock then fear itself

horror movies tho nah dont get scared just get disgusted at the amount of blood and FAKENESS
  11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    1. First Resident Evil ever made on PSX, I was only 8 I think which amplified the games horror content lol.
    2. FEAR 2 Demo .. when the game is released it might make number one LoL.
    3. Dead Space although the whole mutated thing isn't really a scare.
    4. Fatal Frame
  12. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, that motion detector is probably the best thing of the Alien franchise and one of the most efficient instruments to tension. The guy who designed it is a genius.

I like how novelist Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) explained fear in his intro to his Maps in a Mirros horror tales collection. There are 3 types of fear: terror, horror and fright. Fright is the worst one:

- Terror is when the scary thing happens making you jump and want to run away.
    - Horror is when you see the consecuencies of the happening, like in The Ring.
    - Fright is everything that scares you and has you in tension before it really happens, scalating your fear as seconds pass. (i.e Alien, Scream (maybe I was just young) and most notably The Shining)

In my memory, Doom is the game that most scared me, but I was probably too young when I played it (EDIT: it was the first game that I played with a soundcard too and that counts. Yeah young TPUers, there was a time when all the sound that came from most PCs was from the internal speakers, bip, bip). Quake was scary too. And Clive Barker's Undying had some jumpy moments and some tension too.

But I think those are scary in my mind mostly because I was young, objectively the scariest ones, because of the aforementioned fright, Alien vs Predator's Marine campaing, Doom3 (I never hit F5 so much as in this game) and first levels of FEAR are also really scary. Sadly FEAR stops being scary soon in the game, because they committed a terrible mistake (in white): most of the scariest moments are with Alma, they rely on Alma to scare you, but NEVER happens anything!! Soon you learn that those moments of tension will finish with a jumpy scene, but there will be no consecuences. You soon discover she will not harm you.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    F.E.A.R. and Dead Space for sure. Although not very scary Left 4 Dead did make me jump a few times.
  14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's not supposed to be scary, it's supposed to be comical :roll:
    should help you supress your fears of STALKER
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    How old are you? 18? 19?
    I played Quake when I was 8 and it didn't phase me in the least.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    silent hill for sure
  17. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    o and when i was 7 or so i was also scared for zelda ocarina of time i shit my pants when it turned night at hyrule field and those skeletons popped out of the ground and i hated those zombies wich make that awfull scream

and i find vault 106 in fallout 3 weird not creepy just really weird
  18. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant remember the chapter. But that part in Dead Space where you can hear this banging noise over and over. Then when you locate it its a person skinned alive banging its head against the wall. I was playing at like 3am and im not gonna lie it was creepin me out.
  19. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Dead Space was an expensive game for me. Not only did I have to pay for the game but I also needed new underwear.
  20. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:

:roll::roll:

There was a few times I thought I was gonna be in the same boat.
  21. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait for FEAR 2.. you post was enough to make me scared again :shadedshu

I was playing the FEAR 2 demo and at some random spot I turned around and Alma was standing right be hind me.... and it wasn't a cut scene or or scripted spot because it hasnt happened again. She was just F***ing standing there :cry: If I didnt look would she still have been there.. ?

Dead Space was also scary as hell. They really made the effort to scare the crap out of people, for instance every time you get a video message the sound breaks and scratches extremely loud and always scared me. Whatever happened to " *Ding* You have mail " ?
  22. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    One of the scariest games I played was Sims2. I get sucked into that game so easy I end up playing for hours. That is scary!
  23. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Sims gets me mad. I remeber me and my bro where play a coop game of the first one of the xbox, and i was at work and he was at school the wife tryed to cook and ended up burning the house and she died.:banghead:
  24. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Bratz- Runway Magic... OH THE HORROR!!!
    Kei and CDdude55 say thanks.
  25. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Condemned. FEAR engine scary shit :D
    Suffering 1
    Dead Space