1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was the scariest game you have ever played?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCpraiser100, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    condemned, Call of Cthulhu, System Shock, FEAR

and I don't scare easy, just..these games ]: lol

blobster21 says thanks.
  2. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    How come no-one has mentioned Penumbra? yes, it's a low budget game but some people say it's definitely the most scariest series of all time.

3. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    When I got Doom 3 it was pretty scary to me. Back like 2 years ago.

4. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    YES! I remember the suffering, that game was pretty disturbing.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Me? I'm going on 31. Anyway my vote goes for Doom 3 and FEAR. Resident Evil made me laugh way to much. That and I was high as hell most of the time when it was first released. Again I feel old. :shadedshu

Its amazing to me that I always felt I was young but I could be some of the guys on here dad.

I could never finish Bioshock because of the "little sisters". Having two little girls myself I could never "harvest" them. Dumb I know.

6. Jeno Guest

I played dead space with this shitty little game pad that takes about a second to turn the camera 360 degrees, that was freak!ng scary:eek:

7. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I can't believe Doom3 still scares people

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Save them then. That's a more spiritually rewarding path anyway. :laugh:

10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

SoC had some very effective moments (especially down in the labs) - shame Clear Sky wasn't on par with SoC . . .

and to think - we modders are taking it to new levels :p

damn - ain't played any of the old-text Zork games in years . . .

and for that I'll probably be eaten by a grue in the dark tonight . . .

supposedly - that's one of the ways the devs wanted to get around the scripted events losing their punch . . . by having instances (such as you described) that are random, aren't scripted - you never know what or when something will just be there . . .

again - I re-iterate my vote for FEAR. It was superbly done, only other game that challenged it in terms of atmosphere was Doom3 . . . but being an ID fan since Wolf3D, 99% of all the scripted "spawns" (which happened with events) didn't take me by surprise.

But, I still stand firm that the Thief: Deadly Shadows mission "Robbing the Cradle" is by far scarrier than FEAR and Doom3 combined. It's a masterpiece of brilliant, artistic and psychological level scripting . . . a lot of time and effort was put into place over even the minuscule details.

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I recall only two scary parts in Clear Sky.

The first was that underground structure you have to flood and the cave where you had to get some stone out of it. I was scared shitless after entering, I refused to move from that little hall. Then I saw the flames so I had to reload. Then I finally decided it was the sounds preventing me from going anywhere so I just took the headphones off. Once I took the headphones off, I didn't have any problem finishing it (holy **** there's a lot of Snorks in there).

The second was the cave but the cave isn't always scary. The first time I went in, I didn't find anything suspicious really. The game crashed or something so I had to go in a second time soon thereafter. The cave got really dark, I was hearing bad sounds, and stuff started moving around when I didn't expect it to (probably a poltergist). It scared the shit out of me and I ran out without looting the place. :(

In Shadow of Chernobyl, pretty much all the underground places had me in cold sweats. Especially the first time you encounter a Bloodsucker. :x

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I think my favorite part in CS was the Agroprom underground . . . it's a shame, too - the abandoned hospital had so much potential, but was turned into a typical "corridor shooter."

But - if you still play SoC and thought the labs were scary the first time . . . you should hear how they sound with the upcoming version of my ambient audio mod :cool:

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The only way I survived the first time through Shadow of Chernobyl was using a guide with maps so I knew where all the stuff that would sneak up on me was. Without that guide, I probably still wouldn't have beat it to this day. :(

I ran around in the abadoned hospital for probably 15-30 minutes before I finally figured out I had to shoot the heli down. It had me very frustrated at that point. Not to mention, I kept running out of wammo. A shooter without wammo is, well, not a shooter. XD

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    For me, the scariest game has to be fatal frame...doesn't matter which one, they're all are scary.

15. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised Dead Space gets mentioned so often as being scary. Yeah, scary controls and scary repetitive! ho ho ho

FEAR had its (very good) moments, but, overall, I'd have to say Doom3. Can't remember if I played strictly with headphones or sometimes with surround sound, but I do think I remember occasionally looking behind me while playing. And if you're playing at night with headphones and then your cat jumps on you... yeah.

Fatal Frame looks pretty good. Never played it but watched various scenes online.

Honorable mention to a few others, including one or two of the Blair Witch games. I remember walking through the dark woods in one and the audio was crazy with voices of little kids and whatever else. Pretty creepy.

16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why no left 4 dead? i sure hear enough people scream in MP, as the boss infected attack.

17. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Fatal frame is gr8 actually. "My eyes, my EYES" Blinding mask ftw!

18. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. Metropolis

Metropolis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nooo the snorks were the worst seeing one jumping towards you :eek: in those x16 & 18 labs was the scariest parts of the game

Also resident evil 1 when i was around 10 playing at night with no lights on and two dogs jumped through the window :eek:and then you meet the hunters later on, bricks were shat :laugh:

20. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    prey was a very good game when it first came out really good story and scary as well might not cut it anymore but it really had you looking over your shoulder deffo worth the cash if you can ge it

21. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    dead space:
    have to dissagree

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i remember a school bus with the ghosts of dead children, i think that was prey. freaked me the hell out.

23. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    The 7th Guest.

24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Left 4 Dead is only scary the first time you play it and you haven't seen any gameplay videos. When I was in the beta I got scared as hell when the tank came.. I was running away from it screaming lol

25. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I was playing single player trying to speed run on Expert after kicking all the other survivors and I ran directly into a tank on the second level on NM. I had music playing so I didnt heat the tank warning music. It scared the crap out of me.