1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Apr 29, 2013.

?

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. I don't use watercooling

3,402 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Higher OC

1,254 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Reduced noise

1,312 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Bragging rights

300 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Memory module clearance

137 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't watercooling awesome?
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    All of them except no.1
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    totally:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Why yes, yes it is! :rockout:

Lower noise, better temp control and generally better OCs! W1n, w1n & W1N! :D

Edit: LoL wholey shnazzleberry! 3 posts @ nearly the same time! LoL
  5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    recommend a closed loop for about £100, i would prefer double rad.
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Pick "Reduced Noise"... should had been a multi choice, as "Memory module clearance" was, also, a determining factor in the choice made.
  7. ogharaei TPU Proofreader Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Memory clearance and reduced temperatures, especially with CPU intensive games like GW2 and the upcoming Neverwinter Online title, but I only use a closed AIO loop.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  8. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    bragging rights, performance, cool looks, hobby
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I second that. I've had two watercooled rigs, the first in 2004 or so.

That said, after seeing not much difference in temps and OC between a med-high end aircooler and a decent watercooled setup, I only keep the watercooling because I already have it. Next full build I do will likely be Air.
  10. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    My 6950 with the stock blower fan sounded like a jet when it was stressed.

I'd thought about doing water cooling before, but that was what pushed me into doing it.

Waterblock on the GPU, and no jets taking off anymore.
  11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Reduced noise, lower temps, higher OC. Granted though, I only have a Corsair H80. I cant be bothered to clean the loops. :laugh:
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I think why you got watercooling is going to depend on what platform you run. SKT2011 and AMD AM3+, watercooling is going to let you clock a bit higher. SKT 155, it won't, so the best you get is controlled temps, more maybe less noise.
  13. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    ...to impress the ladies.
    Kast says thanks.
  14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    So are you saying there is no difference in clock potential between a load temp of 85c - 95c and a load temp of 55c - 60c/65c? OR better. Interesting. :wtf:

I personally don't consider AIO kits a true WC setup, the reson for this is because they generally don't perform better than a good air cooler. Albeit at the expense of noise. A full custom loop on the other hand, especially if put together properly, will be leaps better than an air cooler. It's ALL about the
    [​IMG]
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, no, there isn't any difference, really. You need to get much more cooling than water can provide.

Of course, I am considering water VS high-end air cooling, not stock. OF course water will offer higher clocks than stock.

But with my own chips, moving from my Coolermaster TPC 812 to EK Supreme or Swifttech Apogee HD did not increase clocking ability, at all. I can run 5.0 GHz with both. :p

We are talking about Sandybridge and IvyBridge only here, of course. You do need to keep in mind that pushing more than 150W for 24/7 on SB is near impossible, and 125W on IVB is the same. At such low heat-loads, water can only offer so much.
  16. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I Do Water Because Of The Reduced Noise, Looks Sweet, And The Potential Increase In overclocks
  17. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... Interesting. Although i highly doubt what you are saying here, i will not argue. Simply because you have touched more chips than i. Also there is no clear definition of what your "custom" loops capabilities are/were, an EK Supreme or Swiftech Apogee are hardly enough on their own to cool a PC :p ;)

Side note: Have you popped the top on your chip yet? Searching for those last few mHz?
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yep, did that a long time ago on my 3570k. dropping 25c off of load increased clock potential 0%. :p

My 3570k needs 1.4V for 4.6 GHz, however. I use a D5 vario and a BIX360 with push/pull 137 CFM 35mm Panaflows.

Water does lower temps so you can push a bit more voltage, but most chips are running near 1.35V or more already with just high-end air. I do not subscribe to the whole "IVB has TIM issues" idea, since most users can push excessive voltages just on air.
    erixx says thanks.
  19. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Cause you can't run a 5,1 GHz 3930k without it :)
  20. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Well then, i guess the internets lied... Thermodynamics must not apply to electronics :eek:

PS: I thought just a few weeks ago you said you were planning to delid? I thought i saw it mentioned in the thread were buddy was using/reccomending a hammer & vise to pop the top? Mayhaps you were refferencing your 3770?

So, Dave, what i gather from your posts here is that there is really NO performance to be gained from WC a modern CPU other than a lack of noise (potentially) and a bolstering effect of onez ePeenUs. And it looks cool. AMIRITE? In short, there really is no need to WC, or delid :confused:

Since temps have no effect...
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There is need for water-cooling if you run SKT 2011, or AMD chips. Just not for IVB or SNB. Which is what I posted above.

And, No, I do not feel there is any reason to de-lid. Not when you can clock the crap out of a chip with it's lid on, and get a new one for $25 when it pops.

And yes, I was referring to my Z77 Express test chip in recent posts. I'll be removing the top pretty soon with that one as I've finished all my Z77 reviews.

Maybe that experience will change my opinion. Time will tell. But when that chip does 5.0 GHz with 1.35V...on air...why do I need watercooling? For another 200 MHz?

getting another 200 MHz isn't enough to me. It won't affect my needed performance in any way.

I'm only delidding because many users have asked me to. I don't really care about the chip itself, it's served it's purpose for me, letting me do about 30 board reviews.

And no "thermodynamics laws" have been broken, since silicon is a semi-conductor, and doped silicon has varied points where temperatures matter. Water-cooling temps aren't in that range. :) Very basic stuff.

The real point where temps matters seems, with my chips, to be around -10C, then they start to scale better. Water itself won't go sub-zero.
  22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    WC (watercooling, for those scatologically inclined) is just relocation of heat. At the end of the day you will have heat somewhere. And fans spinning.

Give me fanless systems, then I will reconsider :)
  23. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Who's trying to break any laws of thermodynamics? As it applies to CPUs/GPUs; Heat goes down, speed (Mhz) & volts go up. Pretty simple if you ask me. :confused:

Chilled water.

You are the fist person i seen to have this opinion Dave, in regards to WC/performance. Interesting... Even if you contradict yourself...

WC or temp related performance anyways...
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Won't be the first time I've had a singular opinion, and won't be the last.;) The only contradiction is in how what I post is read, usually. I'm pretty careful about what I post, especially when it might be "outside the box". I like to leave things open to interpretation by the reader. Just because I like to keep up with the times, while many like to reminisce about the past, doesn't affect my opinions any.

Chilled water isn't watercooling as prescribed in the OP, methinks. ;)
  25. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    It's still water cooling, semantics... :p