1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Apr 29, 2013.

?

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. I don't use watercooling

3,402 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Higher OC

1,254 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Reduced noise

1,312 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Bragging rights

300 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Memory module clearance

137 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Right, but I am pretty sure I know why W1zz posted this poll. And chilled water wasn't really the idea. But you are right. How do you think I got down to -10c! :p
  2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    How else is a reader supposed to interpret this? :laugh:

Seems to me like someone needs to move on to LN2/DICE or just stick with Air. :pimp:

Air cooling will be as good as your kit WC anyways ;)

:toast:
  3. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's an incredible thing to play something like BF3 on a 27" screen with all FX maxed out at 100fps and have no discernible fan noise. My gfx loop is connected to the cpu's temp but has a low fan profile. I have a 480 rad with 4 Noctua NF12's running at about 600-700 rpm.

It's just nuts frankly. Air cooling cannot compare. Even with very low rpm my temps max at 43 degrees after a couple of hours of gaming.

It's also huge fun dismantling coolers to strap on your own blocks and plan tubing routes and the best case options.

Silence and fun. And for my gfx, no downclocking due to temps.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. ;)

And like you said earlier, it's semantics. What I consider a "gain" and what you consider are different. If it doesn't give a true tangible difference in performance, it's not a gain, and moving up a couple hundred MHz, if at all possible(which isn't the case for my chips), isn't worth mentioning. Not when it costs hundreds of dollars to get that.

If it made the difference in getting 4.5 GHz, from 4.0 GHz, then sure, but most SB/IVB chips hit 24/7 max on decent air. Spending 3x-4x the cost is silly in that regard. But that's platform-specific. Hopefully Haswell changes that a bit, but time will tell.

Now VGAs...I think they ALL deserve water.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    When I get the rest of my water cooling stuff (Just ordered) im going to buy the Intel Warranty, and push about 1.45v into my 2500k and see where itll go. Its a pretty poopy chip haha. Then this summer I will go Haswell/Ivy Bridge depending. :laugh:
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Guess i just like stroking my epeen then? LoL :p

Another thing to consider, for myself anyways, is that reduced temps should increase the lifespan of the chip. I usually keep things around for a long time so any gain in frequency & a reduction in temps is straight up bonus! To me :)
    cadaveca says thanks.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, we used to reference the whole 10C = twice the lifespan of silicon, but with today's silicon doping methods, I'm not sure that still applies. It's definitely not the same tech today it was a couple of years ago, nevermind many.

And yeah, I mean, when it comes to gaming, I get really acceptable performance with stock CPUs, nevermind OC. Crunching, rendering, those see benefits, but what's out now, for most users is overkill performance at stock. :p

I am really impressed with Intel's products right now, they truly do let the average user get the most out of their chips with minimal effort, and OC is now warrantable, too. I mean really...shove 1.7V through IVB, and they will replace it...no problem. Sure, it costs $25, but that barely covers shipping.

If Intel can offer that kinda of warranty, their chips are pretty much bullet-proof for air users, and I truly feel that's why watercooling has such a little effect.

AMD, on the other hand...man, by 8350 just flies under water! my 3960X does too, but it's just not the same.
  8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    I had two overclocked 6970s with reference coolers...

Prepare for takeoff!!!!

Now when i read reviews and see "It's silent!!" I have a good chuckle and pull out my 10lb bag of salt to grab handfulls of.
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I don't really care about "degredation" and never witnessed it, therefore it doesn't exist :)

Of all the chips I've put under water, I've never gotten more than a 10% improvement in OC. It's the weakest link phenomenom... if all of the chip can't run that fast, then the whole system will fail.

Anyway, for 10% OC, I could spend $300 more on a better chip on air, and get 50% improvement.

And on an on. I do love the hobby part, though.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  10. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    ++ Noise being the major factor/problem with the wind turbines we find on most VGA's these days

If your going to water the VGAs the you might as well go full throttle with the rest of the rig
    It's all about the FUN :)
  11. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    If it was custom built with Awesome Rad and block then I would vote for it, if its basic all-in-one packaged wc then I would anyday prefer Direct Touch Xigmatek or SilenX with 120 mm fans. Much more reliable and no worries about cheap pump failure.
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Add that my pc was folding 24/7 , and the above is applicable to me .
  13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I was wary of water cooling, because of all of the horror stories that I'd heard. Combine wariness with only a little bit of skill, and water cooling wasn't going anywhere near a rig I built.

Two years later, enough sealed and warrantied units on the market to alleviate fears, and I'm on water for almost everything I build. Still haven't gone to the custom side, but a both Corsair and Thermaltake products are plenty for mild OCs.

Wish there was another option for decreased temperature with an eye on longevity...
  14. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Why go water when I can run 1.4v on my 2600K @ 4.5 and be sitting at 60C on full load with good air cooling? Any decent pair of headphones is enough to block out my cooler's noise when it is running at 100%. I see no reason to go water unless you NEED a silent rig for some reason or really want an extreme OC.
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have to even think about heat or noise with water cooling my video card, that's why it is under water.

As far as my CPU goes, it's water cooled but it really doesn't need to be. I'd be happy with a good air cooler or AIO water cooler.
    Frogger says thanks.
  16. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    To run cooler... no vote for me
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That should really be added to the poll.
  18. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a hard time picking with this one. It should really be multiple choice. I'm using my H110 to get both more finger room and lower noise, as the large volume allows me to use very low speed fans and still get good cooling.
  19. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I used to have higher OC as my reason.. but then I realized that the oc yield depended on how golden my chip is because most high performance air nowadays are close to lc perf. Now I just do it for silence.
  20. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    my reason using watercooling setup is to gain more overclocking capability but i got very disappointed on ivy bridge processor. it's so damn horror for me.
  21. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    How about the Antec Kuhler H2O 1220 Gen 4?
  22. PersonWithTech

PersonWithTech

Thanks Received:
    I reckon bragging rights is the only reasons. This is because you can already gain a high OC via. a reliable air cooler (E.g. Hyper 212 Evo) if not a cheaper all in one liquid cooler (e.g. H100). The same can be done on a simple dual-fan model of GPU. And quieter performance isn't the best reason as you require 3 or 4 large 120mm case fans to replace a simple gpu and cpu cooler. The only full benefit of liquid cooling is the boasting rights and superior cooling, yet is only worth the price for that when paying less than 200 dollars. I'd only get LC if paying over 4000 for a rig.
  23. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It's interesting that nearly half have said they use some form of water cooling.
  24. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Fine , thats your opinion but some of its wrong , most of my pc is watercooled and it was mostly done for the xfire gpus which clocked higher but are way way way less noisey , I have a gtx 460x2 for physx in the same pc and used them all during the recent chimp challenge and my god I can never use air based gfx cooling again as it's three times louder then the 14 120mm fans that cool my rads and case... im never going back but then ive spent the money now and its mostly all reuseable between system upgrades...
  25. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Reduced noise? Are you joking? Water cooling systems uses pumps which make noise and and also their fans are much faster than air cooling systems.