1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Apr 29, 2013.

?

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. I don't use watercooling

3,402 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Higher OC

1,254 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Reduced noise

1,312 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Bragging rights

300 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Memory module clearance

137 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I jest not...

4× gpus on air in one pc all folding make a serious amount of noise and the watercooled version of this does not simples, I get what your saying but pumps are not that noisey and pale into insignificance compared to one high end gpu on air at max load 24/7 I assure you.

I agree with most that cpu blocks do little better then a good air blower but gpus flat out roar, my pc with full loading via folding isnt quite ,but I can sit in the same room without the telly bothering the neighbours and id guess its in the low 30s in decibels fully loaded after hours.

Oh and parts kept cool last longer and my gpus dont go above 52º at 1ghz clocks with the cpu at 4.74 too.

2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If you can hear your pump the RPM needs to be dropped. And I think you're thinking of the cheaper CLC sets that just slap loud and fast fans on them. If you're doing it right you have a huge radiator with very slow fans on it. There's no longer a reason for top end cooling to sound like a vacuum cleaner. I'm running 2x750rpm 140s on mine and it's dead silent.

3. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    2, 3 and 4. 3 is in-between 2 and 4 so I voted for that.
    My actual answer would be 4tehlulz. Any other reason is an excuse to make the price seem acceptable. Gotta have my toys, after all.

4. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    The money I save by not buying high maintenence watercooling systems allows me to buy faster components.
    I realise most machines happen over time but watercooling expense is disproportionate to the benefit.
    you could watercool a celeron based machine or build a stock i5 for around the same cost...I know which i would choose.

5. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Sitting in your shed up north with an air cooler in sub Zero temps?

6. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    As my skills increase(even if only within the realm of my own mind)... its just natural growth and the human desire for a challenging new endeavor...

7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    So we are considering the AIO's "water cooling"...cause I really don't. I mean, yeah, it's not air but...still.

I pretty much finally went water when I found a relatively cheap, complete used loop a few years ago as it bugged me that this was one aspect of being a "PC enthusiast" that I knew nothing about. Also, it simply looks awesome.

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely true.

It's a complete fiction to state water loops are noisier because of the fans. The simple physics says it all. I can have a metal cooler on a gpu and the more fans actively cooling it the quieter you can get (windforce, direct CUII etc).
    You then take that to a heat transference and delivery system (water takes heat from block to radiators and fans blow cooler air over fins, fins convect heat to cooler air, temp is lost) and you have a much quieter system. Only a poorly chosen spec list or an extreme overclock means more noise.

9. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    No matter how great the block the rad and the pump are it is limited by the ambient temperature. It would be nice to have powered rads that can drop bellow ambient temp.

10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You an always buy a chiller unit but that can cause problems with condensation inside the case.

11. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I didn`t said that it would be easy :D. We could use some of the techniques used in LN cooling even thought the condensation would not be so bad. It does not have to be bellow zero just bellow ambient. Let say in summer the air conditioner dies ambient temp goes as high as 40 C the cooling would heat up the pc instead of cooling it :D.

12. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    To lower temps in a server. none of the above.

13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have my old loop in my old desktop which is now a server but I'd also prefer not to use those additional watts for the pump so dunno if I'll keep it.

14. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    At first it was for the BLING (bragging rights) as other gammers were showing off their machines. :)

15. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to kick the overclocking forum overclockers asses and have mastered that. I then moved to Dice and will experiment with LN2. Overclocking is a disease.

16. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received:
    ummm the noise is lower and you get higher clocks lol

the only thing bad about it is if you get a leak

17. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Watercooling does not leak unless the user does not know what he/she is doing

18. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received:
    well yeah, just sayin that if your not careful enough you can screw some stuff up but with air you just pop it on there and your good

but ive never done a complete custom loop yet. ill do my first custom loop at the beginning of next year when i build a new rig

using my sh*tty h60 on the worst chipset/cpu line ever lol runs way to hot even on stock

19. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Happened to me once due to a defective 90 degrees fitting.

I agree though, if everything is properly functioning from factory and the user knows what he's doing the chances of a leak are minimal.

20. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Watercooling for me is all the above except #1 and a couple others.

Once you invest in a Good Radiators/Pumps Custom Loop, the only thing you may need to purchase for the next motherboard is at worst a new Waterblock and usually just a new mounting bracket for like $8. This allows me to continually have an awesome watercooled setup for every upgrade I have made in the past 8 years and will continue to make for the foreseeable future.

I also have an entire external box used to house my rads and pumps. This removes all heat from the main case. While not very portable it is very effective.

Initial Expense is greater, but long term it becomes cheaper or a non-issue.
    It is more future proof then Air Cooling.
    Removes the heat from several components outside of the main case, no thermal build up in main case.

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Whilst I agree on the fans Imho get the best pump you can maybe two and mount wisely ie susspended pumps or on layered sponge with no metal contact at all but run the pumps flat out, I tried controlling rpm and the noise is reduced but the low flow can cause poor oc stability compared to flat out flow which aids stability and removes heat from blocks quicker , the fans removes the heat from the water not directly from the block wheras flow rate/pressure do directly reduce block temps.

22. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    :eek::eek::eek::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:

23. kroks

Thanks Received:
    Get a big radiator like MoRa, a lot of tubing/wiring and mount it outside like an AC unit...
    You just have to take it back inside in winter (too cold)

24. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    As of right now, I don't have enough to make a watercooling solution for my computer, at least I don't even need one.
    Maybe in near future, when I build my own system using my own money, then yes I'll be doing it for sure.

25. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    for me the main reason was all about the noise and the super low temps... Love the hyper low noise/temperatures of a high end watercooling loop.