1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Apr 29, 2013.

?

What was your primary reason to get watercooling?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. I don't use watercooling

3,402 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Higher OC

1,254 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Reduced noise

1,312 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Bragging rights

300 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Memory module clearance

137 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I was speaking to the "Total" lifespan of the chip, including useability. Not just the actual life of the silicone. A person can greatly extend the usefull lifespan of their system/chip by keeping it cool & clocked ;) If you wanna blow up chips for a $25 fee, go right ahead! We could use more landfill :rockout:

That the first thing that popped into my head :laugh:

It happens, but yes. With proper preparation/installation they are usually trouble free :pimp:

2. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Actually, neither option as such, sure, I'm overclocking, but in the winter time my CPU runs cool enough on air, but in the summer air cooling simply doesn't cut it where I live, but water does...

3. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    More overclocking mainly, but also the added benefit of quietness.

4. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I got my i7 920 to 4.6GHz from 4.2GHz 2 years back using watercooling.

Then realized it was a huge waste of money. 300usd+ for 400MHz.

Buying an extra video card gets you 1000% more boost.

I also realized it was a huge waste of time to overclock my CPUs, so I stopped.

Then I also realized I didn't need 4x AA or more, so I stopped being paranoid about pixels and cared more about the gameplay.

I "herd" people talking about "lifespan" and shitz, JEESUZ! My super old i7 920 was running 4GHz 24/7 when I bought it. I also ran countless hours of Prime95. It has been 4 years! and it's still running.

Joking aside.

Watercooling is a huge waste of money. Spend it on video cards or SSD for real performance boost.

5. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    My CPU temps are so good, I actually want to cool my graphics card next time.
    But perhaps I should invest in a better graphics card first..

6. amd/atifiend New Member

Thanks Received:
    Going to liquid cooling(especially for gpu's) is one of those moments when you get mad at yourself for not doing it earlier.

I have been using the same cooling system I put together for almost 6 years without 1 single issue or need to upgrade the cooling system. The benefits far outweigh the cost imo.

At first I was chasing numbers but after a while you just forget that it is overclocked. It's so quiet, the efficiency will not only be felt on your processors but the inside of the case itself. personally i L/C the cpu and gpus and worrying about the temps and airflow inside the case becomes a faded memory as well. And that's what I like.......peace of mind without the feeling that you are sacrificing something.

my advice, if you are going to L/C do your gpu too.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    In my case I went with water cooling first and foremost to extend the life time of my GPUs by lowering their temps when they are working at max load, but the option is not in the poll :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    I'm aircooled all the way, its just easier and lower maintenance. Plus if my temps go to high, the room my main rig sits in is cooled by a 12000 BTU Mitsubishi AC unit that is supposed to cool down a room 4 times the size it's in!

9. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    I first used watercooling back in the P-35 days. I bought an HD 3850 and couldn't close the case due to high temps! It was a really old case with virtually no air circulation. I used to water cool everything, but the $300 per PC got to me. My latest PC is air cooled.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Lower temps is the most important and isnt there